Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My Mayor is 6 and has 3 Kids....  (Read 2455 times)

squirmy152

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Mayor is 6 and has 3 Kids....
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:36:14 pm »

The Mayor of my current Fort, Koshmotmezum (WeedSmoke, hehe) is a 6 year old with 3 children. The Fort, my first Fort in Masterwork has already survived both the Carp Cult, lost about 15-20 Dwarves all told over the course, and shortly after a Necromancer attack which claimed two Dwarves plus the Nercomancer. Somehow, Dwarves are still happy, and the pop is rising steadily. Up to 91. I just thought this was crazy enough to report it.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Mayor is 6 and has 3 Kids....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:41:17 pm »

Maybe a vampire screwed up with fake bio?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:04:40 pm »

The Fort, my first Fort in Masterwork has already ...
Everything is invalid.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:14:16 pm »

Define invalid.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:23:35 pm »

Masterwork makes ENORMOUS changes to pretty much all of the game.

I can't remember if it was Masterwork or another set of mods, but I've seen some say (paraphrased), "Clowns aren't tough AT ALL.  I had one soldier clear out the whole thing!  Also the soldier was armed with ubermetal that's 1000x stronger and sharper than adamantine, and the soldier was a caste of dwarf the size of a Roc with 8 arms and 20x faster and stronger than a dragon-cheetah."

When you start modding that deeply and strangely, then not much left is valid.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 02:27:30 pm »

We must remain pure in these days of hard trials, and take enormous tusk-bearing beasts to the face, create quantum engravings, drink noble blood wine, then weaponize everything said before, and say to ourselves, ladies and gentlemen - that we are the pure kind.

In all seriousness(?) though, the way I like modding is slapping two or three mods on top of eachother without compability, then changing a random string in some important laws. Now that's invalid.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 02:36:30 pm »

Girlinhat, I'm intrigued by this dragon-cheetah. Tell me more...

In all seriousness though, theres a certain point where your changes make everything invalid. The deepest change I've made to tne game was letting Giant Cave Spiders lay eggs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 04:33:41 pm »

Masterwork adds several castes of dwarves, and at least one of them reaches adulthood at a very early age, if I recall.

As for the weirdness of modding, I was looking at the wiki for creature tags the other day, and found that you can set a modifier for the applied force of a specific material on creatures/castes. Meaning you can make creature weak to a specifc material; the material effectively hits harder. The is already done in vanilla's night creatures, but it looks like it's very doable to mod in a material like cold iron, and a fey-like creature that's especially weak to it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »

The Dragonic Civilization mod has enemies that use a special metal called Dragonbane or something. Guess what it does?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 04:37:23 pm »

Not to mention silver for werewolves, and similar fun.  Although in practice these things hardly matter, as creatures don't have immunities of any reasonable level.  A night creature vulnerable to brass can still be struck down by steel incredibly easily.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 04:40:09 pm »

What about Vanilla Werecreatures? Aren't they incredibly tough unless you use the metal their weak to?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 05:10:22 pm »

What about Vanilla Werecreatures? Aren't they incredibly tough unless you use the metal their weak to?
Night creatures and were-creatures have the same flags for material vulnerability.  It works, but it only makes them extra-weak.  It doesn't seem to make them extra-strong against others.  In other words, it provides no defense against regular materials, just EXTRA weakness against one material.

Or at least, any extra defense isn't substantial enough to really stop limb lopping.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 06:02:32 pm »

I can't remember if it was Masterwork or another set of mods, but I've seen some say (paraphrased), "Clowns aren't tough AT ALL.  I had one soldier clear out the whole thing!  Also the soldier was armed with ubermetal that's 1000x stronger and sharper than adamantine, and the soldier was a caste of dwarf the size of a Roc with 8 arms and 20x faster and stronger than a dragon-cheetah."

Many players turn to mods to look for new challenges, not to make everything easymode.
The guy is an Escaped lunatic, we could just say "welcome to the forums, but this would be better in the Masterwork subforum than here in Dwarf mode."

@OP:  in masterwork, dwarves grow up at age 5 (I don't know whether this qualifies as an 8-armed-roc level travesty ;) )
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:07:06 pm by smakemupagus »

squirmy152

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 06:41:42 pm »

I understand that this would probably fit better in the Masterwork subforum. I just thought this would get a larger population of players looking at it. I've been playing DF for years, since about the time it came out. There was an article in PC Gamer on it and since then I've been hooked, haven't been overly active on the forums. Didn't have any desire to be so. But I figured this would be one of those things worth reporting.

It would make more sense if masterwork allowed dwarves to age to adulthood before age 12.

Also, wouldn't that be near impossible unless she had triplets. To have 3 kids in the span of a year seems a little intense....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:46:52 pm by squirmy152 »

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 07:33:50 pm »

Masterwork adds several castes of dwarves, and at least one of them reaches adulthood at a very early age, if I recall.

As for the weirdness of modding, I was looking at the wiki for creature tags the other day, and found that you can set a modifier for the applied force of a specific material on creatures/castes. Meaning you can make creature weak to a specifc material; the material effectively hits harder. The is already done in vanilla's night creatures, but it looks like it's very doable to mod in a material like cold iron, and a fey-like creature that's especially weak to it.
Fuck Masterwork.

But about the material weaknesses, the old Pokemon mod used this for elemental weakness/strengths. If I remember right, attacks were material emissions of an element-material, which some creatures were weak to, others strong against, etc...

@OP Your dorf should start a new series called '6 and pregnant' OO: !
'ere the Chias get hungry...
Pages: [1] 2 3