Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My Mayor is 6 and has 3 Kids....  (Read 2444 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Mayor is 6 and has 3 Kids....
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 07:47:44 pm »

The Dragonic Civilization mod has enemies that use a special metal called Dragonbane or something. Guess what it does?

I still can't believe the guy called it "dragonic" instead of "draconic."
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 07:59:37 pm »

In all fairness, it's a fairly easy mistake to make.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 08:06:48 pm »

Also for fun, you can give creatures weaknesses such as [MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:CREATURE_MAT:ELF:TOOTH:10:1] to make them weak towards elf bites.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 08:08:27 pm »

Also for fun, you can give creatures weaknesses such as [MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:CREATURE_MAT:ELF:TOOTH:10:1] to make them weak towards elf bites.
Wrestling will be overpowered once again!
'ere the Chias get hungry...

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 08:13:11 pm »

faster and stronger than a dragon-cheetah.
For the first time in quite a while, i feel like i want a breeding program.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 08:33:32 pm »

Oh god, I'm picturing a dragon and a cheetah trying to mate. Unless the dragon shapeshifts into a cheetah, I don't see it going well. One of them will either get their head bitten off, melt, or explode violently. Ill leave it to YOUR imagination to figure out why they'd explode.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 09:21:31 pm »

The Dragonic Civilization mod has enemies that use a special metal called Dragonbane or something. Guess what it does?

I think the Creator of "Dragonic Civilization" has already told you why he chose to name it "Dragonic" instead of "Draconic"
I personally think it should be dragonic instead of draconic to differentiate between how this mod is about dragons, not dracons.  There is a difference between the two.
here is a reference

Oh god, I'm picturing a dragon and a cheetah trying to mate. Unless the dragon shapeshifts into a cheetah, I don't see it going well. One of them will either get their head bitten off, melt, or explode violently. Ill leave it to YOUR imagination to figure out why they'd explode.

Hmmm.... My mind went in the gutter about the exploding part, I lost.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 09:48:35 pm »

I think the Creator of "Dragonic Civilization" has already told you why he chose to name it "Dragonic" instead of "Draconic"
I personally think it should be dragonic instead of draconic to differentiate between how this mod is about dragons, not dracons.  There is a difference between the two.

I'm surprised this argument is still around, since I remember first seeing it some 15 or 20 years ago when some idiot decided to change what "draconic" meant in order to flesh out a new race of part dragons.

The original use of "draconic" was based on the latin word "draco" which means dragon.  The "-ic" suffix there gives the meaning of having the form or character of.  Though the true Latin form would be Dracoic, whereas the English bastardization of the Latin added the n in there as a flavor letter.  Thus draconic literally means "characterized by or having the form of dragon(s)."  That leaves it pretty open for use in anything that deals with dragons, provided that there is context that utilizes the -ic suffix.

Anyway, the word draconic is for context sensitive attribution; it attributes the context as being "of the dragon" which is why the dragon language is called "Draconic." In this case the fact that you've named the language using the word provides the context.  Thus "Draconic" when referencing the language is saying "Language of the Dragons."

In the case of actual use, Draconic is the correct form (if one can be said to exist, since it's not a word typified in actual Latin anyway and is not an Engilsh word by strict derivation) by virtue of accepted commonality.  So, in this case, Draconic Civilization would basically be saying "Civilization of the Dragons" or "Dragons' Civilization" rather than being a reference to some dubiously named sub-race of dragons.

However, once some of the fantasy splinter groups decided to birth the "dracon" as being their accepted shorted form of dragon half breeds, or psuedo-dragon species, it flared as a point of contention for a while and eventually did establish a small presence in the fantasy realm.  Even so, it was never a very commonly used reference, largely because of the number of people who would jump on your case for using the term "incorrectly".  Indeed, if you search around the internet for Dracon, you'll find very, very few references; mostly with Dracon used as a name for a specific entity.

But, the big thing that everyone began to realize all those years ago, is that it didn't really matter what word you used.  Even less so if you're a bunch of geeks crowded around a table to play what is essentially a structured game of make-believe.

This is akin to the dwarfs vs dwarves and the elfs vs elves usage battles that have been waged for the last 30-40 years.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:14:28 pm by Tacomagic »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 11:39:13 pm »

Because the cheetah's head explodes and flies off in an arc, and melts into a pile of goo because it failed to prepare itself for the vast horrors of reptile reproductive biology before it was too late to look away.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 11:55:52 pm »

I imagine the interaction between dragon and cheetah to be similar to the interaction between Fry and the mermaid.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 04:14:56 am »

Interesting fact.

If you add a tag such as [GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:1:10] where the second argument is larger than the first, you will actually provide a physical resistance to the creature. I believe this may or may not be what is intended by providing the [MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER] token on night or werecreatures, and while it does not sound like such a thing is present, it would be usable to create "actual" were-creatures who properly obey the expectations of material weaknesses--that is to say, if you use a weapon not made of nickel silver, it should have its force muted, as opposed to simply not being twice as strong.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 08:29:35 am »

I came here because the thread title is something akin to a daytime talkshow headline and I wound up getting grammar lessons, followed shortly by dragon x cheetah scenarios.

Never change. Any of you.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 08:40:18 am »

someone has a good memory  :D  At the time it took me 3-4 posts to get an actual answer (that being a dracon is separate thing), which I admit makes perfect sense despite being quite obscure.  Was never a D&D person myself, but from the description I just picture the "dragonkin" creatures from Warcraft lore, which seems to be the trendy name for such creatures these days.

Derail successful  8)
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:18 pm »

Fuck Masterwork.
With the dragon or the cheetah?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 05:35:51 pm »

'ere the Chias get hungry...
Pages: 1 [2] 3