Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Sandhammer: The Land of No Stone  (Read 14031 times)

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sandhammer: The Land of No Stone
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »

I'd like a turn if you are still taking overseers.  If not, then I'm posting to watch.  A giant glass castle with magma cannons sounds fun!  :D

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2013, 11:15:02 am »

I've grabbed the save.  Gimme a bit to get settled down and I'll update.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A good start.  The walls are apparently made out of . . . . pain.  I may have to turn to the texturepacks.  Stupid square tiles.  Even worse are the topside trees.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:49:47 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2013, 12:20:53 pm »

Sorry, my save was Ironhand's compatible. Just take raws from "vanilla" folder from here http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7783

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2013, 01:11:17 pm »

This fort is fascinating. Consider me an audience member. If you are accepting non-player dorfs, I'd love to be an unskilled hauler, or someone who goes outside a lot.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2013, 08:36:40 pm »

So is this still happening or...? :(
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2013, 04:17:43 pm »

Yes, what is happening?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2013, 04:21:49 pm »

Pisskop you have one more day or the game is going on to the next player.  :)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2013, 11:55:52 am »

pisskop must withdraw.  A death in the immediate family.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2013, 02:41:02 pm »

Oh no!  Terribly sorry to hear that.  :(

Talanic, you're up!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2013, 04:15:18 pm »

Sorry to hear that pisskop.

I'll try to give it a shot tonight.  It's all downloaded, and it's my night off.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2013, 11:51:09 pm »

Awrite.  I knew I was in for a job here, but I didn't get what kind of job.

I'm an armorer by trade.  I know, I know, seems like you can't go through a mountainhome without tripping over a dozen armorers.  That's why I set out for somewhere new.  New outposts usually need someone to cobble together something for defense; it's too darn expensive to import it all, and besides, everyone likes to keep the best works local - nobody exports the good stuff.

So here I am at Sandhammer.  I figured that the lack of stone would make for less competition here, and I was right - I just arrived in the latest wave and there's nobody here who can do so much as a gorget, much less a set of gauntlets.

I knew the military would be wanting an armorer.  What I didn't expect was for me to be suddenly proclaimed leader.

What I also didn't expect was a land with no natural sources of coal and no local volcanic vents.  The odd qualities of the local landscape means that there's always going to be enough land for tower-caps to sprout, but they need time to grow and access to the caverns. So that's going to be step one - breaching the caverns.  Step two is walling off a section for us to use - we can open it later if we care to.  Step three is digging until things start to get hot.

STEP ONE: Get some booze brewed. Sure as sand I'm not ruling this place sober.  Step two is breaching the caverns.  Step three is walling off a section for us to use - we can open it later if we care to.  Step four is digging until things start to get hot.

After that there's a catch with the current fort layout.  Looks like the previous overseer dug right into an aquifer.  Four of the five stair hubs go straight into water; I'm going to bypass a layer or two and set up new stockpiles and the like.  Even if I breach magma (which may not happen, at least for a while) we're going to need to get the wood that's been cut indoors in order to start making charcoal.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2013, 01:06:56 am »

Dwarf Fortress rules.  Loving this thread.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2013, 02:37:13 am »

Wonderious so far.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:52 pm »

Talanic's journal, second entry:

So, basic entry from below is blocked, but flying varmints might still be able to get in the fort.  We've reached magma, although now that we're there, I find myself hesitant to follow through right away.  There's no good way to get it back up, and it is an *awfully* long way down to it.  Still, the deep clay veins mean that we can make stuff on the spot, so I'll probably pop it open sooner or later.  Good bricks will make a lot of difference here.

Njalls went all mad scientist on us.  He made a nifty mechanical thingy he calls The Daggers of Grieving, and keeps on talking about those fools and how he'll destroy them all.

This is a tetrahedrite mechanisms.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encircled with bands of cushion tetrahedrite cabochons and acacia.  This object menaces with spikes of tetrahedrite. 

On the plus side, he's a legendary mechanic, which should help us produce trade goods AND defend the fort now.

Speaking of trade, humans showed up.  Apparently there's no depot access tunnel, which means that until one is dug, merchants are vulnerable for the entire trip overland.  Must get that done quickly, but with the existing excavations it's going to be winding through things a bit.  Also, the nature of the fort means that even an underground road must be paved if we want it to work.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:49:54 pm by Talanic »

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2013, 02:33:18 pm »

HAIL SCIENCE!

I'm so glad to see this fort alive.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9