Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Sandhammer: The Land of No Stone  (Read 14070 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Land of No Stone (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 11:37:20 am »

*awesome modding*

What I read from this is: nobody should be digging anywhere deep.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 11:46:13 am »

*awesome modding*

What I read from this is: nobody should be digging anywhere deep.

Au contraire. I've inspected and dug into every layer right down to the the HFS and it should all work perfectly now. And the stone-free depths are pretty gorgeous. 8)

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 03:41:48 pm »

This is a modded save. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fun. It is encircled with bands of sand, loam and clay. It is adorned with hanging rings of raw hide. On the item is an image of dwarves in gold. Dwarves are traveling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Sandhammer by The  Massive Lances of The Flaxen Fountains in the early spring of 262.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »

This is a modded save. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fun. It is encircled with bands of sand, loam and clay. It is adorned with hanging rings of raw hide. On the item is an image of dwarves in gold. Dwarves are traveling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Sandhammer by The  Massive Lances of The Flaxen Fountains in the early spring of 262.
Hahaha you rule.

OK life is getting in the way, but I'll get everything together soon.  We'll do 5 days maximum per turn (hopefully faster), and I'll post the turn order up there, and we'll get going!  That gives me to the weekend to get my first turn done.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 04:59:18 am »

Looking forward to this. There was one more minor bug that I caught when playing. My mineral raws that were edited for easier dfhacking caused ANYTHING to be usable as either bituminous coal or lignite at a smelter. Dwarves will happily burn your few rocks or metal ores and make coke if you want.

There's two ways to fix this:
1) either just don't use reactions unless you actually have the reagent, even if the game seems to let you, or
2) download my newest uploaded version (1.1b) where I changed the mineral raws (except soil) back to completely vanilla to prevent this and any similar bugs that may be out there. If you started playing already, download the newest version and just overwrite save raws with its raws.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 01:20:04 am »

Thanks Halfling.  I had not started yet, so once again procrastination is on my side.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:54:23 am by falafelsandwich »

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 02:54:59 am »

Just an FYI here, to let you folks know why modding out stone gets everything to act so strange:

The map in DF only stores tiletypes, and biomes for each square, not the materials.  The material is determined at runtime from the tiletype, a base index, and the available biome materials.  The appropriateness of a tiletype to have a certain material depends on if the material is stone or soil. 

OK? That's the simple case.  Now what happens if your biome has no appropriate materials (like let's say, boulders in a biome that has only soils), well the game default behaviour is to go to the stone list (or soil list, if it's a soil tile), and pick something at random (this should be consistent).  This is the reason that in mountain biomes one frequently gets strange results from cave-ins (random patches of different kinds of sand).  If there are NO APPROPRIATE MATERIALS AT ALL, then there is no failsafe, and you just end up with some random inorganic showing up, and flashing like that because you're reading from unassigned memory.  Frankly it's a little surprising the game doesn't just crash. 

So pretty much you NEED at least one stone and one soil in your raws for things to not go completely bonkers at least some of the time.

The workarounds sound clever though.  I'm interested to see if this works. 
where is up?

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 07:46:53 pm »

Hey everyone!  Sorry for the radio silence, things have been crazy lately.  But tomorrow night I have all to myself (for the first time in like 2 weeks) so we'll begin!  I'll get the player list put together as well.

By the way, did a drunken dry run (well not really, ended up flooding the fortress) last week and wanted to warn you: DON'T try to update the save with your texture pack, it will undo the fix and bring back the DISCO.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:52:28 pm by falafelsandwich »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2013, 07:38:26 am »

Looking forward to it! Admittedly I haven't tried it, but since inorganic_stone_soil.txt should be the only modded raw file in the final save, I would assume that installing a graphics pack is fine so long as you back up that one file first and then overwrite from the backup?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2013, 09:31:42 am »

My guess is he tried updating to a graphics pack via automatic Lazy Newb conversion. This assumes that you're playing an unmodded vanilla game (as opposed to a modded vanilla game), and it overwrites the changes you made to the raws. This causes Dwarf Fortress to break out the LSD when you reload the game. As far as I know, you SHOULD be fine, as long as you update the raws in inorganic_stone_soil.txt manually. It's better to just leave it in ASCII though.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2013, 02:51:05 pm »

This sounds amazing and I am looking forward to the disaster that is sure to come.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »

You can overwrite the lazy noob pack's raws for whatever tileset with your custom raws too. Then every time you hit "Install graphics", bye bye stone! :D
I did this for edible sentients.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2013, 05:00:28 pm »

I did this for edible sentients.

YOU MONSTER

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2013, 07:09:12 pm »

You'll say that right up until you sell prepared elf brain to the elven caravan, then you'll giggle, and suddenly slaying and eating sentient humanoids seems OK.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2013, 04:41:42 am »

- Granite -

At long last, we settle.  For months and months we have searched for a proper mountain hall, but we seem to be lost in an Elven hellhole... nothing but grass, feather trees, and dirt as far as the eye can see.  Our supplies are running as low as the crew's morale, so we have no choice but to try to carve our home out of this horrid wasteland of greenery.

The hill to the southwest seems defensible, so we begin to clear out a space and get to chopping trees.  I worry how we will survive without stone to make mechanisms, but we will do our best.  At the very least, digging out rooms is very fast and easy, and farming will be trivial.

- Slate -

A few basic farm plots and workshops are down.  The miners are busy and working quickly, but we have yet to hit a single piece of ore.  For now we'll worry about the food supply and getting the storerooms finished.  Some drunken dwarf that wandered through here when we arrived mumbled something about ore near the river, but then started shouting "DROWN THEM ALL!  DROWN THEM ALL!!!" so I'm not sure if we should trust him.  Still, if things go as they have been, we may have no choice.

Looks like we've already run out of vegetables... time to slaughter some of these ducks.

- Felsite -

The first floor is coming along nicely.  It will be strange to have all of our furniture made of wood... I've heard mutters from the crew about how disturbingly Elven this fort is, but alas, we must survive.  Some sparrow men have been harassing us, but don't seem to be too much trouble.

I'm normally not a fan of sending our valuable dwarves out to fish, but we're short on food... on second thought, let's hope some foolish migrants come along to do that job for us.  Not sure why this expedition sent out with the same dwarf being our mason AND carpenter (?!) but we'll make do.

With our basic rooms and storage basement carved, it's time to start exploratory mining in hopes of ore.

- Hematite -

Summer has arrived, and with it a lovely rainstorm.  Armok, but I hate fucking rain.  Here's our humble fort so far.

PRAISE KOMRA WE'VE STRUCK TETRAHEDRITE!  DWARVEN RUM FOR EVERYBODY!  Oh wow... quite a bit of tetrahedrite!  Finally, cage traps!

After ignoring the grumbling about gnawing cold mushrooms in the dark, I've finally designated a dining room to be built.

- Malachite -

Migrants!  Better carve out some more bedrooms.  GUESS WHAT!  YOU'RE ALL FISHERMAN!  Good luck with those sparrow men, motherfuckers.

- Galena -

I've never seen more technologically impaired dwarves... seriously, NOBODY wants to build mechanisms.  "Waahhh, I have to update the stockpile records!"  "Wahhh, we only have 12 drink left, I have to brew some more!"  GUESS WHAT, EVERYBODY IS A MECHANIC NOW.  Think we got a bit overboard with the slaughtering, as there's tons and tons of flies in the butcher shop now.

Just realized the caravan will be here soon, and we don't have anything to trade them!  Quick, start making wood crafts!

Wait... we can't make mechanisms out of tetrahedrite?!  Could've sworn I've done that before... oh no... this is worse than I thought...

- Limestone -

Finally got our forges set up.  Our miners are producing a reliable store of tetrahedrite now, so things are looking up.  The flies have spread throughout the whole fort, still can't figure out why nobody wanted to carry the food from the butcher shop.  Moved the butcher shop outside, so at least if they're lazy then we won't fill the entire fort with flies.  Never thought I'd wish for a frog infestation.

- Sandstone -

It puts a smile on my face to see those forges burning and our very first copper mechanisms being assembled.  We've been whipping these 4 migrants around since they arrived, not giving them a moments' rest, but they're starting to show their worth.  Time to actually put some effort into defense - all of these dogs need training to help out with goblins and all of those cursed insect men flying around outside.

Stray cat has given birth to kittens?  In other words, stray cat has given birth to meat and bone crafts.

More slav... I mean migrants!  Time to get some more miners working.  Fully 12 dwarves have Mechanics orders now... can't understand their aversion to building mechanisms.  I feel like I'm at a liberal arts college.  At least now we have manual labor to pick up the dozens of piles of wood that have been sitting outside for months.

The fauna outside is... curious...

Ahh, the heartwarming sight of a kitten being led to slaughter.  (OOC: I really miss my animal pictures, but wasn't able to fix them without disco :(  )

Wait... WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT ALL OF THOSE ANIMALS I THOUGHT WERE DOGS WERE ACTUALLY DUCKS.  HALFLING, I'M COMING FOR YOU!!!  So much for my army of war dogs.  :(  (stupid texture pack)

Oh no.  Oh nonononononono.  Nooooo.  (they aren't as bad as giant keas are they?)

- Timber -

Well, we won't have much to trade, but hopefully it will be enough to get us a second anvil and a few other necessities.  We have front gates and cage traps set up now with levers next to the dining room.  The war dogs are being held back for forced breeding, but I don't see them complaining.  Time to take my ducks-that-aren't-dogs and get them to work laying eggs.  Why nest boxes can't be built out of wood is beyond me... guess these are some REALLY hardcore ducks.  Hope you fuckers like sitting on copper.

Hey guys!  Welcome to Sandhammer, the house of dirt!

- Moonstone -

Winter has arrived "on the calendar."  Um... ok.

Got some more anvils, cloth, and food from the caravan.  Time to put Stodir, an expert clothier who came with the first wave, to work!  DRESSES FOR EVERYBODY!

- Opal -

Nothing happened this month.

- Obsidian -

Why.  Just why.

The fort is running smoothly, our primary craftsmen are getting skilled, we have a decent if not overflowing food supply, and more tetrahedrite than we know what to do with.  Wood is in short supply since it has to be used for EVERYTHING (have yet to hit any sort of coal).  Thankfully the map area has plenty of trees.  We have some very basic defenses, but these spiked silver balls will attract unwanted attention sooner or later.

I leave it to my successor to put together a military, breach the aquifer, and enter the caverns (which will solve the wood problem in a very big way).

Here is our humble fort so far:

http://www.theicaruskid.com/bees/region_nostone_year_2.zip

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:08:41 am by falafelsandwich »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9