Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Sandhammer: The Land of No Stone  (Read 14062 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Land of No Stone (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 02:48:13 am »

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:01 am »

Thank you Talanic for the very informative responses.

So... is the dream of the entire fort being a treefarm out?

Use a modded race (Kobolds, Humans) that is mostly identical to dwarves
Remove MINING as a possible labour
Build tree farms

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 03:11:14 am »

After all these alarming facts, I am quickly giving up the dreams of tower-caps in bedrooms, and will gladly accept our new vaporstone overlords.

If you're in, sign ups begin now!

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 03:53:53 am »

Not going to take a turn, but I finally managed to create entire mountains made out of only clay that do not flash (I briefly had flashing mountains made of EVERYTHING in the process, it was stunning). Everything that is normally stone is made out of clay, all the way down, including the caverns. The clay leaves clay boulders when mined, similar to ones that you would get with the collect clay job, that can be used for everything that clay can be used for but cannot be used to make stone items. I have no idea how this affects civilizations. Interested, or will you go with vaporstone?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 04:00:56 am »

For clarification: A few people seemed to think we meant "no digging". This is not true. We were merely proposing a fort where nothing was built from stone.

Also sure, sign me in :>
Dorfname: Laularu
Profession: Chef/brewer/farmer/something along those lines. Food is important!

Looking forward to where this inevitable trainwreck goes.

NINJA-EDIT: Ooh. This is something I hadn't thought about. Did you do it via DFhack, or through raw-edits? I'm also tempted to run SCIENCE on just what happens with the flashing omnistone... like, what happens when you dig it out or whatever. Definitely a curiosity.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 04:07:33 am »

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 05:10:53 am »

So what you're saying is... you have a map ready to go for us?  :)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:16 am »

Edit to above, repeated here for safety: Do not delete layer stone, make it DEEP_SURFACE instead to avoid creating patches of *EVERYTHING* "rock" when magma cools.

So what you're saying is... you have a map ready to go for us?  :)

Essentially. What I'm saying is I can have any kind of map that you want ready to go for you today. Tell me what biome(s) you want and what minerals you want a chance to have in the clay (this will not guarantee you will have them, but makes it a possibility), and I'll do it. It'll only cost you... a planter or a brewer. ;D

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 09:17:58 am »

I'm in.

Njals, male, diagnostician/surgeon/suturer/bone setter (maybe 5/2/1/2 or 3/3/2/2, I dunno). He can be one of the starting miners.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 10:48:57 am »

Oh hell, I'm in.

I also vote for Halfling's map :D
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 11:53:31 am »

The idea here was to make a fort out of wood, metal ore, metals, ceramics, and glass.  All of those materials are limited, but you always have an infinite supply of stone, which can make things too easy.  By removing that resource, the subsequent shortages and closer focus on the economy will make things more Fun!

You've got it backwards:  wood, ceramics, and glass are infinitely renewable.  Stone, ore, and metals are finite (although certainly they'll last longer than any succession fort is likely to survive).

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 12:01:23 pm »

Well, either way, I started working on a way to make the ores follow normal distributions while all stone is different types of clay. Currently testing, attempt 1 lead to there being no usable stone in the entire world which might be a bit too extreme.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 01:57:02 pm »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 03:46:35 pm »

El oh el, as soon as I type out something dramatic like that, I figure out exactly what is going on without even thinking. My misguided attempts at replacing stone with clay were failing, because, even though if you do the operations in specific order you can OCCASIONALLY (and I don't care to investigate this further, managed to make it happen randomly via multiple saves between operations) preserve the type of layer "stone", typically first generating something with [IS_STONE] and [SOIL] tags and then removing both tags completely eradicates that material and replaces it with a random soil. That's why it was generating random results. The mineral randomness was probably due to DF wanting to have lots of minerals to play with for generating veins.

So having discovered that, it's freaking obvious. Here's how you can completely destroy all stone that you don't want and replace it with a random soil, and that is the actual soil, not some bastardized version of it:
1. Add the [SOIL] tag to the layer stone you want to destroy before worldgen, gen and embark. Easiest done with automatic find & replace.
2. After embark, save, remove both [IS_STONE] and [SOIL] tags and reload save. Ta-da! It's gone, replaced with a random soil.

Since it turns out that does not actually nuke cluster stone and this is all getting a little bit out of hand already, I'm going to just generate a world for you where cluster stone is modded into something else, and upload it, and another file you can use to patch it to destroy stone. Uploading in a bit.

I'll just cull my previous lengthy posts so they don't ruin this thread.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 04:09:12 pm »

You've got it backwards:  wood, ceramics, and glass are infinitely renewable.  Stone, ore, and metals are finite (although certainly they'll last longer than any succession fort is likely to survive).

Well, ceramics and glass take time and fuel to make, so they're not as trivial as stone, especially if there's a wood limit.

Thanks for the offer Halfling, would love to have you set up an embark site.  Could you find and convert a Joyous Wilds for us?  As long as there's sand I'll be happy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9