Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Sandhammer: The Land of No Stone  (Read 14032 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Sandhammer: The Land of No Stone
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2013, 06:02:10 pm »

May be slightly exploit-like, but if you want an easy alternative to building a road then simply put a stockpile over the area and disable it so nothing is brought to it. Nothing grows through stockpiles.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2013, 01:27:35 pm »

Do wagons trek through stockpiles?  I'm not certain.

We're up to 67 dwarves now.  Every able-bodied dwarf in the migration wave was pressed into duty as the Part-Timers.  I'm going to be issuing them picks and sending them to dig, since we're planning on having large swathes of harvestable underground growth.  When they've trained up a bit through digging, they'll be taken off mining duty and put on furnace operation; by then I hope to have the magma smelters ready for their use.  After that, the Part-Timers will spend half the year training, half the year smelting.

One of those migrants, Tekkud, is already a fighter of some reknown. 
Forty-Five Kills
Three badger boars ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One peregrine falcon ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One great horned owl woman ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
Two snail men in The Prairie of Granite
One hedgehog man ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
Three giant mantises ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One crow woman ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One buzzard ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One grasshopper man ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
Two grasshopper women ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
Two giant peach-faced lovebirds ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One giant wren ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
Two giant snails in The Prairie of Granite
One peach-faced lovebird man ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
Three rattlesnakes ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
Two kestrel men ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One magpie man ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One mantis man ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One weasel ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One giant grasshopper ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One tick man ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One buzzard ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
Two moth women ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One giant tick ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One doe rabbit ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One giant thrips ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One giant hedgehog ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
Two crow men ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One rattlesnake ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One giant dingo ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One kestrel woman ( ) in The Prairie of Granite
One giant barn owl ( ) in The Prairie of Granite

He's good with spears.  We should probably make one for him.  Another migrant had no kills but significant marksdwarfship and a steel crossbow; he's been added to the main squad.

I'm trying to increase the level of specialization in the fort.  Having a few dwarves who are really good at their job beats having a few dozen of varying degrees of incompetence.

Winter is here, as is the caravan from the homelands.  I have yet to manage to make a single suit of armor; been too busy with everything else.  I buy every piece of steel equipment that I can afford, considering that we'll probably never be able to make steel here at all.

Surprisingly, that's every piece of steel they brought, although that speaks more of the small quantity they brought than the abundance of goods on our part.  Still, I managed to afford it, plus a bunch of metal bars, some gems, and every drop of booze and edible morsel they brought - and still saved back eight masterwork mechanisms that Njalls made.  I also replenished our seed stock some - which seems a little low, but that could be just me.

I've asked the liason to send us a lot of steel anvils for next year, in addition to flux stones and metal bars.  He offered to import sand bags to us and I nearly fed him his beard.  The most worthwhile request on his part was that we export footwear next year; he's probably just getting more mechanisms but I told him we'd think about it.

The following is scrawled in an unsteady hand.

On twelth tvel a dozen days into Moonstone, we dug inta the lova. lava magma, for our forges.  We found ado candy.  I'm not diggin' it up - leave that for someone else - but we found it.  Extra booze rashons for everyone.

Sorry about that.  We all got a little too blitzed last night, and I'm afraid Mebzuth Urvadmat paid the price for it.  We found him laying in the stream, torn to pieces by a giant jumping spider.  Rovod Bavastmorul responded to the news by shutting herself in a workshop for a week.  When she came out, she'd made Amtusung Vim Am:
This is a cassiterite armor stand.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with trillion cut chrysoprases and encircled with bands of rectangular cassiterite cabochons, round tetrahedrite cabochons and copper.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of copper.  On the item is an  image of a feather tree in cassiterite. 

On my realization that she's actually a pretty decent (if rusty) swordsdwarf, I also added her to the Part-Timers.

Speaking of the Part-Timers, they've cleared out a huge swathe of territory underground.  That's the good news.  They also got us tons of tetrahedrite.  That's the other good news.

The level that they cleared is composed mostly of compacted gravel.  Plants won't grow in it, so my entire plan there is pretty close to moot.  We'll probably seal it off and start with another level soon, but by then the part-timers will have different jobs.

I can't believe that I forgot that Tetrahedrite is an ore of copper, not iron.  Nobody can be allowed to find that out.  I've ordered the new magma smelters to start making bronze, as we found Cassiterite in the depths.  Meanwhile, I'm going to start making some copper armor to tide our troops over.

My turn's almost over.  Will probably finish it today; I'm currently recovering from a root canal. 
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2013, 04:11:09 pm »

You have Cassiterite, though. Smelt it for Tin, alloy Copper & Tin for Bronze, which is slightly betterer.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Braggroksmasher

• Bay Watcher
  • Fresh Meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2013, 04:35:53 pm »

I love this, Dorfe me as a hammerdwarf if you ever get one!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2013, 05:53:59 pm »

My turn ended shortly after my previous post.  Save is up

We've got plenty of copper but only a little bit of bronze made, so I'm making armor out of copper while we start making bronze.  We can sell the copper armor when we've got better.  We've got two magma forges and a magma smelter, but we also got a lot more coal made than I expected so we can run the regular smelters for a while if we want.  There's several more magma smelters being constructed.

Oh, and obviously the magma forges can be supplemented with a magma oven or glass oven to make yourself clay or glass blocks.  These would be great for roads and the like, and we even have a Great glassmaker.

Suggestions:
The next overseer might want to change my orders from smelting bronze with ore to smelting the individual ores and then smelting the bronze; that way allows us to get the occasional silver bar, and gives the Part Timers something to do when they're not sparring (which they do often).  You might also want to give the marksdwarves a break (they've been guarding the entrance for the entire time I played), and probably make more ammo for them.

The depot access tunnel is done.  It connects up with Njalls' wagon-only bridge, which means that invaders will ignore it completely; the benefit of the tunnel is that the merchants involved won't get jumped on their way in either.  I'd never seen the wagon-only entrance design before.

The second and third caverns are walled off such that nothing can get in.  Most of the fort still has Masonry turned on from when I was building these walls.  The first cavern isn't quite, but I haven't seen anything try to get in.  Please remember to wall off the last two blocks on the south wall, and if you remember, try to finish the great big wall by the stairs, to block flying enemies from coming in over the water.  Also, I used stairs as effective scaffolding for the levels of that wall that I created so far; they can be disassembled for wood if you need.

We're in a stable position but could use a lot more booze, some traps, weapons, etc.  We could also really use a well, and have plenty of choices as far as how you want to build one. 

Good luck to the next overseer!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:58:41 pm by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2013, 04:22:04 am »

It's always a joy to read reports of some solid, tangible work done. Good job Talanic!

Beware that wagon-only lock is still passable by flying creatures.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:58 pm »

Laula has 2 more days to show up.  The fort must go on!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:53 am »

Fucking hell. This post shows up in my watchlist once every 2 weeks, and apparently it disappears 10 minutes after showing up because I never see it. Downloading save now...

EDIT: I didn't see the save go up because I read his post before the edit and not after since I didn't get notified, so I never saw the save go up and the next reply was the "you have 2 days or YOU LOSE" post.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2013, 12:43:05 am »

Ha!  Well, now that you're here, I'm sure we can cut you some slack.  :)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2013, 08:44:10 pm »

Fuck. Someone was playing with a graphics pack and didn't manually patch the RAWs for ascii, so the tiles for everything are all bugged to shit. Ore is nest boxes and I don't even know what the walls are made out of.

I desire to fix this, but I'm worried about breaking the game entirely in the process.....

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2013, 03:07:36 pm »

Fuck. Someone was playing with a graphics pack and didn't manually patch the RAWs for ascii, so the tiles for everything are all bugged to shit. Ore is nest boxes and I don't even know what the walls are made out of.

I desire to fix this, but I'm worried about breaking the game entirely in the process.....
Download the save from before that change and replace the raws in the current save with the ones from the old one.
That should fix it without anyone needing to go into the raw files to edit things manually.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2013, 03:45:08 pm »

I think Halfling was offering to fix any messed up saves...?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2013, 05:27:14 pm »

Heh.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7783

-> overwrite raws and init with desired. That should do it. If not, overwrite with my initial save raws. Laula should definitely be able to handle this as he took a successful turn in DF scratch... but if not then I can help. Try that first and report.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2013, 11:30:58 pm »

thank you halfling. I just dropped the new raws in.... the walls look normal again. Now here's just hoping that I didn't somehow fuck up the raws (I literally just nuked the contents of data/save/region_place/raw and added in the new folder from the archive) and that the game is, in fact, playable, and that I don't have to revert back to an older save at some point in the future.

No seriously, that would suck.

So the first thing I noticed is that we have a couple of MAJOR security flaws. Namely, magma crabs in the magma forges. I'm going to be sealing that with some surgically precise obsidian casting as soon as I get around to it... because I'm also going to be sealing off the rest of the caverns. It looks like this project was started and left abandoned.... How convenient we have a metric fuckton of coke and charcoal we don't need to use for anything other than steelmaking. And we're all out of iron, so, you can bet your ass I'm going to be using that as building material.

We also have a major drink problem. And an overabundance of animals. And about 200 uncooked eggs. And--Y'know, we just don't have enough workshops. Time to make some more. A lot more. Starting with butcheries. Operation: Slaughterhouse is a go.

Friggin hell. Wolverines on the surface keep flipping their shit and berserking our wood cutting squad. We don't have enough of a militia and I don't have enough time to draft one proper... here's hoping this poor milker doesn't cause a tantrum spiral.

Milker got roughed up a bit but just bruises. I sent both axe squads after him and one eventually caught up and punched him to death. Skull through brain, as per usual DF death. Here's hoping the new wildlife isn't prone to raging. :<

Whoever ordered the flux blocks, I'm sorry, but you can't use them in steel making. You can build stuff out of them, though, so stop making tetrahedrite walls. Seriously. It's wasteful. Use coke instead.

What. The fuck. We have ONE goddamn dude making all our alcohol... and it's the Halfling. What. No wonder there's no booze in this whole fort! I'm drafting a squad of brewers post haste. Probably gonna enlist all the fishers, because I got a message that said "nothing to catch in the rivers", so I'm disabling all the fishing.

HOLY CRAP ON A STICK

Mosus has 30 (!?) exp levels in mining. How is he not in the military? Seriously. What the fuck.

I'm tempted to set up an ex-miner military squad, but I don't know if I can trust people to look at a dwarf nicknamed "THIS FUCKER IS IN THE MILITARY DO NOT TURN ON THE MINING LABOR" and actually, y'know, not do that. I feel like they'd go "Hey this guy has ridiculous mining skill let's turn mining on for him instead of the noobs" and then try to send that squad out to do battle and be like "Dafuq why isn't this guy doing what I want?"

:(

Some furnace operator fell down a flight of stairs, broke her foot and bruised her guts. Dammit. Someone's taking her to the hospital... I think. They're taking her SOMEWHERE, and if we don't have a hospital I'm not sure what's going on. If we do, in fact, have one.... god help us all.

She got taken to her bed to throw up a whole bunch. I'm building a hospital now..... oh boy.

FML. A shit-ton of migrants. We're up to 90 now. Sieges and megabeasts and syndroms, oh my! I'm gonna take a break for now since I'm not sure exactly how to process the 20 strong dumbass brigade. It is the 7th of slate currently. No casualties yet....

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2013, 03:56:47 am »

Actually :( I'm gonna have to bow out now. I've just got too much going right now to handle this. Sorry guys.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9