Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Sandhammer: The Land of No Stone  (Read 14033 times)

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sandhammer: The Land of No Stone
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:50:40 pm »

Sandhammer, the land where no matter how deep you dig, there is nothing but dirt, and more dirt.  We have ore, but that is the only stone you will EVER find.

Player list:
falafelsandwich
Njals
pisskop
Talanic
laularukyrumo
CognitiveDissonance
Th4DwArfY1

Year 1 (falafelsandwich): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126714.msg4321715#msg4321715
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:11:49 am by falafelsandwich »

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Land of No Stone
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 02:40:26 am »

For constructions/floors, we should get either sand or clay to make glass or ceramic.  Would be pretty badass to have all of the floors be made of glass or ceramic.

Until the mass flooring project, just picture it... tower-caps in every bedroom... designating the entire fort for tree-cutting every 3 months...

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Land of No Stone (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:49:46 am »

I thought about the same idea myself. Count me in.

An easy way to restrict stone is forbidding underground digginng and building everything on the surface.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:10:45 am »

I haven't checked the effects myself, but it's possible that you can add the [SOIL] tag to stones in the raws and that will make them not drop stone. Problem solved.

Alternatively, you can adjust the melting and boiling points of all stones to far below room temperature. This will cause them to dissolve into dust as soon as they're mined, preventing you from making anything out of them. Magma will still exist just fine, though. This will have the odd effect, though, of causing traders to sometimes bring stones, which would dissolve as soon as they load onto the map. I also think this lets them bring goods made out of stone, and I don't actually know if these things dissolve, but you can just not buy them if you want.

Now for extra insanity, embark somewhere terrifying, with an aquifer, no trees, and ideally no freezing. Removing sand/clay increases the challenge exponentially.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:26:46 pm »

Sign me up if this goes.  Ill even take the aquifer breaching.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa you all are insane.  No digging?!  What are you, an elf?   :D

That actually does sound interesting for a challenge play, but man early defenses would be TOUGH.  If we were to try that we might as well mod to a different race.

For this game at least, I'm looking for nothing worse than savage wilds, sand and/or clay, and plenty of trees.  Though trees might not really be all that necessary, considering breaching the caverns will turn the entire fort into a tree farm (depending on how we do the modding).

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 05:02:47 pm »

You can't just add [SOIL] to everything - it causes glitches on the surface.  Massive, shiny glitches.  You can, however, set all available stones to evaporate, and make them have no material value to cut down on trader losses.

I ran a fort based on this myself.  I wanted to call it CracksChafe, the desert of glass, but CracksChafe isn't a valid name for a fort.  Technically I have RAWs available for a Masterwork no-stone all-glass fort, along with a few extra glasses modded in.  If you'd like to use those RAWs I can provide 'em.

Elaboration:
The result (of my version) is the same as normal for where tower-caps and the like will grow.  I left in ores (otherwise invaders would have no equipment) but voluntarily refused to use them for anything but decoration and alchemy (and to build my first glass forges).  Green, clear and crystal glass traps, weapons and armor are part of Masterwork mod, and range from copper-ish to slightly worse than steel.  I elaborated on that with workable Sapphire and Diamond glass variants.  Sapphire glass can be made out of crystal glass plus any variant of sapphire, including star sapphires and rubies.  Diamond glass is made the same way except, y'know, made out of diamonds.  Note that Masterwork includes alchemy reactions that can transmute metals into each other and can create artificial sapphires and diamonds. 

I also modded in glass fibers and reactions for glass fiber clothes. 

It might not surprise you to learn that I was playing the fort as a heretical babysnatching "Glass Cult" of dwarves.  All other civs were hostile, no migrants of any sort, and no caravans.  That could easily be undone. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:15:19 pm by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 09:03:39 pm »

You can't just add [SOIL] to everything - it causes glitches on the surface.  Massive, shiny glitches.

Wait, is this how the cotton candy spires came to exist?

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 09:12:00 pm »

No, but look at the top level of your embark site.  Notice every instance of pebbles, or stone floor, or boulders?  None of those can be composed of [SOIL] and that's hard-coded.  When you embark with every [STONE] set as [SOIL], those spots are, according to the game, not made of *anything*.  Which means, apparently, that they're made of *EVERYTHING*.

So they strobe, flashing every color available to the game.  Trying to examine the tiles reveal that they're changing the material that defines them many times per second.  It's eye-breaking. 

This also happens if you embark with stone existing, then use CHANGELAYER to turn all of the stone into soil layers, or turn the existing stone into soil by modding. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:45:32 am by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:12:20 am »

Thank you Talanic for the very informative responses.

So... is the dream of the entire fort being a treefarm out?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 01:58:30 am »

If the stone violently erupts when mined . . .

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Syndrome
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 02:17:02 am »

Not entirely out.  You can't get soil all the way down to the magma layer, but embarking on a Sand Desert can get you multiple layers of sand before you start hitting 'vaporstone'. Also, using "changelayer SAND_TAN all_biomes force" in dfhack can succeed in changing an individual biome of stone into sand.  If you succeed, the biome will still appear as stone, but when dug it will leave sand behind. If you fail, you get the very colorful effects that I described above - the same effects you get if you apply it to all layers of stone.  I don't know enough to tell when it will succeed or fail.

If you're just trying to secure a source of wood, Masterwork has tree farming modded in, above or below ground.  Trees take a long time to grow and require you to have a timberyard to process them into useful lumber, but it's quite effective.

And yes, you can easily add syndromes to the stone.  Masterwork mod already does for some stones - Warpstone can mutate or kill your miners, Coal can give black lung, and hidden pockets in some metals can even spawn hostile Wraiths.  In short, while you're striking the earth, the earth can strike back pretty hard.  Are you suggesting any specific syndrome effects?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:19:21 am by Talanic »

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:00 am »

Talanic.  Please say you'll be in the founding seven for this fort.

Not looking for an extreme challenge here - though we could fork this thread off to the nightmare mode (the no-digging mode proposed earlier has me intrigued).

The idea here was to make a fort out of wood, metal ore, metals, ceramics, and glass.  All of those materials are limited, but you always have an infinite supply of stone, which can make things too easy.  By removing that resource, the subsequent shortages and closer focus on the economy will make things more Fun!

Since we already have that handicap, not to mention the handicap of NO FLUX STONE EVER, Savage or Joyous Wilds with 'vaporstone' are about as hardcore as I'm looking to get.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:25:10 am by falafelsandwich »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:55 am »

D'aww.  Nobody's ever asked me that before.  Sure.

If we use a Masterwork variant, flux can be acquired without stone in small amounts - by grinding the corpses of enemies into bonemeal.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:32:49 am by Talanic »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 02:42:13 am »

Thank you Talanic for the very informative responses.

So... is the dream of the entire fort being a treefarm out?

Use a modded race (Kobolds, Humans) that is mostly identical to dwarves
Remove MINING as a possible labour
Build tree farms
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9