Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade requests for bars  (Read 968 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Trade requests for bars
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:19:11 pm »

Now that bars are fixed (it used to be 1 bar for anything) should trade requests boost the amount of bars they bring? I make a full priority trade request for platinum bars, and I get like 3 or 4 bars.
Now that's good to make me maybe like 1 things, where before I could get 4 items out of it (still not great, but better). Even requesting nuggets, gets me like 3 nuggets. , good for 9 bars, total about 12 bars..but still.. not much of a "trade caravan" if that's all you can deliver to someone willing to pay through the nose.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Trade requests for bars
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:23:50 pm »

Probably.  I'm sure Toady intends to revamp all of this as he improves trade in general.  In the meantime, ordering ores to smelt gives plenty of metal for most purposes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:58:52 pm »

Probably.  I'm sure Toady intends to revamp all of this as he improves trade in general.  In the meantime, ordering ores to smelt gives plenty of metal for most purposes.
I never really get that much when i order stuff. I have no bit coal or lignite on my map. My map is flooded with iron and flux though. So I ordered full stuff from humans and dwarves each time (I enabled human guild rep and elven diplomat). I could burn lots of trees, but i try to keep that to a minimum. Each time I get maybe total about 7-9 blocks of bit coal and lignite combined. I've never really noticed them bringing in huge amounts of stuff you request. It seems to me that if I make a full request for anything, they should be bringing like a whole wagon of the stuff.

I can't imagine what the point of a partial request would be.

Garun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:58:26 am »

I have this same issue... never seem to have a map with fuel on it, but always tons of metal. Guess I should start burning those trees... although like you I prefer not to do that for some reason. The caravans have never brought me more than 5-10 pieces of coke during any trip. I resorted to making armor pieces from shell/bone and scavenging them from defeated goblins. You can make gauntlets, helms, greaves and I think a few other pieces if you have shells for it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:59:47 am »

iirc the traders bring 4 at most from each item, so 4 bitumous coal, 4 lignite, 4 charcoal and 4 coke would be the max you could get. Ofcourse, you can also order 4 of each log the civ offers to get around any woodcutting quota (if you actually obey those)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 03:15:05 am »

iirc the traders bring 4 at most from each item, so 4 bitumous coal, 4 lignite, 4 charcoal and 4 coke would be the max you could get. Ofcourse, you can also order 4 of each log the civ offers to get around any woodcutting quota (if you actually obey those)

that sounds like something that could be modded. that doesn't seem to apply to things like cloth or seeds or stuff though.

Garun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:41:11 am »

DEFINITELY does not apply to cloth. I always find myself scrolling through pages upon pages of leather/cloth that the merchants bring.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:18:29 am »

I assume making the trade request helps some, but platinum is both rare and heavy.  This may have something to do with it.

Also, tree farms, cavern trees, plus all the caravans bring logs.  So burn baby burn.  Current fort has 700 logs, 250 charcoal, 240 potash, and 370 ash.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:33:46 am »

I often buy that first load of cloth and then never need more so I don't order it, so I don't know how it works with ordering cloth, but it definately works like that for logs, stone and bars. As slothen mentioned, everything is still limited by weight, though usually wagons can carry the whole load regardless of what it is
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:51:02 am »

I often buy that first load of cloth and then never need more so I don't order it, so I don't know how it works with ordering cloth, but it definately works like that for logs, stone and bars. As slothen mentioned, everything is still limited by weight, though usually wagons can carry the whole load regardless of what it is

now that cloth has wear.. I need more.. i can't seem to keep my fort in trousers. I have like 283 dwarves and trying to get any surprlus on anything seems to be futile. I have non-stop orders for robes/dresses/trousers/socks/shoes

I'm growing it, but not fast enough yet.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:21:33 am »

yeah, nowadays there is hard goblinite, the metals, but soft goblinite, the clothing, got valuable too

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 11:50:16 am »

DEFINITELY does not apply to cloth. I always find myself scrolling through pages upon pages of leather/cloth that the merchants bring.

Cloth follows an unrelated algorithm that was disassembled some time ago by Quietust I believe.  It's considered an "emergency supply" I think.  In any case, caravans will bring enough for I think 5 sets of clothes per member of your fort, minus whatever you have stockpiled.  Requesting more is probably on top of that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 12:54:50 pm »

that sounds like something that could be modded. that doesn't seem to apply to things like cloth or seeds or stuff though.

As Telgin said, large deliveries of un-ordered cloth are results of the 'emergency supplies' code (which also applies to wood - if you keep little wood in stock and don't use logs for building, you can get up to your headcount of logs per caravan without needing to order). Ordering stuff tries to make the caravan carry the ordered number (one to four) of goods on top of anything they'd have brought along anyway; this won't be very interesting if the dwarfs bring 24 stacks of plump helmets instead of the 20 they'd have brought otherwise, but getting four native aluminium boulders instead of none at all will be notable.

If you have 'enough' cloth on site and order cloth or leather from the caravan, you won't get more than four 'parcels' of a type of cloth you ordered. It will still produce one to four _bins_ of cloth/leather, each containing ten bolts or hides. And since a civ generally has access to several dozen types of animals, you can get caravans to carry completely silly amounts of leather currently.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 11:06:17 am »

Cloth follows an unrelated algorithm that was disassembled some time ago by Quietust I believe.  It's considered an "emergency supply" I think.  In any case, caravans will bring enough for I think 5 sets of clothes per member of your fort, minus whatever you have stockpiled.  Requesting more is probably on top of that.

This might explain why I don't see very much cloth from any of my trading partners.  I see thread and such, but not the endless bins of cloth I'm accustomed too.  My current fort literally gets no cloth from any caravan.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku