Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant Wood Burners  (Read 822 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Migrant Wood Burners
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:14:43 pm »

Can migrants show up with wood burning trained?

I've played two games now where I only allowed myself to use dwarfs that have an ability trained upon migration (or I can "apprentice" a dwarf to a skill holder at master or better) and noticed that in both forts, I never once got a migrant with wood burning.  Every other skill I got at least 1 migrant of, but not burning.

Is this skill just not populated, super rare, or have I just been unlucky.  It's usually not an issue, but in the case of this specific scenario, if wood burners never show up I'll need to account for it with an exception rule.

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
Re: Migrant Wood Burners
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:16:24 pm »

I have seen migrants arrive with the woodburning labor enabled, its just really rare.
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:17:21 pm »

Cool, good to know.  Then I'll leave them as something I'll just have to live without.

Thanks  :)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:43:51 am »

I've once gotten a legendary woodburner migrant. O.o

Migrants can show up with all skills that exist. It's just that, as stated, some are pretty rare to show up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 04:03:41 am »

I've once gotten a legendary woodburner migrant. O.o

Urist McElfHater cancels post-war negotiation with elves: making ‼forest‼
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 07:11:36 am »

just unlucky.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:43 am »

Migrants even show up with unused skills at times: I keep getting Great Trackers at my forts.

Haven't seen any Alchemists though, so apparently even worldgen doesn't simulate that.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 10:12:20 am »

I played the first six months of this game not knowing that you could 'turn on' labor not already 'on'.

It wasn't until something like 20 migrant waves in, that I finally got a glass maker.  I'd have to pull up my old saves to see if I ever had a wood burner.  I did not start processing prisoners until I had magma smelters not because of the lack of fuel but because I did not know how to strip goblinite from cages built on the surface, and I never built a cage indoors.

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 03:09:54 pm »

Migrants even show up with unused skills at times: I keep getting Great Trackers at my forts.

Haven't seen any Alchemists though, so apparently even worldgen doesn't simulate that.
The wiki- Tracker is a skill that, like military tactics, is seemingly only used during world generation. It is not uncommon for historical immigrants to arrive with some level in the skill.
Alchemy is, as far as I know, completely unused in any way, explaining why you don't get migrants with it ;)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 11:12:05 pm »

The wiki- Tracker is a skill that, like military tactics, is seemingly only used during world generation. It is not uncommon for historical immigrants to arrive with some level in the skill.
Alchemy is, as far as I know, completely unused in any way, explaining why you don't get migrants with it ;)

Huh, that sounds a lot like what I said.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 11:59:31 pm »

It does, expect I expanded on it and gave a source with proof. Apart from that, it was basically what you said, only differences would be the fact I stated alchemy wasn't simulated by worldgen but purely unused whist tracking was used by worldgen instead of simulated by it. But as you said, I didn't really add an incredibly amount so sorry for that and credibility to you for 85% of that post.