Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: baron no-hands and peasants in a cage  (Read 583 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
baron no-hands and peasants in a cage
« on: June 01, 2013, 05:29:54 pm »

Two questions for situations I've never encountered before:

(1) My second militia commander (the first died with his War Giant Cheetah in an unfortunate drawbridge accident) tried to solo fight a Giant Dingo and it bit both of his hands off.  I decided to make him my Baron since I couldn't think of anything else for a no-handed dwarf to do.  So far he's doing fine.  Are there any other jobs I could have given him instead?  The only things I can think of are broker or manager.

(2) Two of my peasants walked over a webbed cage trap and got caged.  Is there any way to get them out, short of building the cage somewhere, installing a lever, and opening it mechanically?  Will other dwarves feed and water them while they wait for the mechanics to do their thing?

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: baron no-hands and peasants in a cage
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:41:13 pm »

#2: zones. set up a pit zone and order the cage dumped into it

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 01:12:38 am »

I think you can also assign prisoners to pen/pasture.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:04:19 am »

dwarf stuck in a cage: dumping or pitting won't do it I think. Installing and lever was the only one I remember, though I think there were more ways

if your (ex) militia commader is still one of the most skilled dwarfs, he can still teach recruits. Recruits tend to have demonstrations first untill they reach a certain level of skill. The average peasant is very resistant to sparring. Besides, a great or even legendary warrior gives very effective demonstrations
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 07:37:15 am »

(2) Two of my peasants walked over a webbed cage trap and got caged.  Is there any way to get them out, short of building the cage somewhere, installing a lever, and opening it mechanically?  Will other dwarves feed and water them while they wait for the mechanics to do their thing?

Easy.

Build dwarf cage.
view it with (q)
dwarf should be at top of creatures list
highlight dwarf and click enter to unassign him.
a dwarf will be along shortly and let him out of the cage normally.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:50:14 am »

Two questions for situations I've never encountered before:

(1) My second militia commander (the first died with his War Giant Cheetah in an unfortunate drawbridge accident) tried to solo fight a Giant Dingo and it bit both of his hands off.  I decided to make him my Baron since I couldn't think of anything else for a no-handed dwarf to do.  So far he's doing fine.  Are there any other jobs I could have given him instead?  The only things I can think of are broker or manager.

A dwarf without hands will sooner or later start spamming job cancellations and get overwhelming unhappy thoughts for not being able to put on new clothes. When I had the problem I tried to turn the dwarf into a werecreature for healing with the plan to segregate him afterwards (although it is quite hard to do so / you need good timing for the dwarf being bitten by the creature without actually falling victim to it and I failed in my attempt). But the good thing about a dead baron is that you can play a happy little republic.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:03:26 pm »

Can dwarves with no hands drink? How do they hold the barrel?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 03:31:15 pm »

Can dwarves with no hands drink? How do they hold the barrel?

I bet there's a dwarf out there with no mouth who can still drink. They will find a way.