Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baron Problem  (Read 1403 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baron Problem
« on: June 01, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »

So, I've played DF for about a year or so, and I consider myself pretty competent in terms of understanding the game mechanics. However, I have, for the life of me, never managed to initiate the Baron upgrade. My industries are pretty diverse, and my total wealth is usually pretty high. I've built roads, candy trade depots, and attracted the monarch numerous times, but I can never seem to get that baron. The wiki has turned up pretty vague and unsatisfactory answers, so I'm hoping someone here will have an idea of what exactly I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baron Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 04:37:28 pm »

Are you exporting enough goods?

And does outpost liaison actually chat with your mayor?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:43:48 pm »

Yeah, my first thought was that you've been accidently skipping the dialogue, or giving the wrong response.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 04:45:39 pm »

I think it was 80 population, was it 80? Then the liaison tells you you can become an independent province or something, no wealth or much else required afaik and you get to select a baron. Further advancement (duke etc) is made through population and wealth

are you using any mods?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:06:19 pm »

Thanks for the quick replies!

Are you exporting enough goods?

I've met the export and population(80) requirements numerous times, at least those listed on the wiki.

And yes, the liaison has talked to the mayor, successfully arranging the trade agreement and then leaving. 

I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:07:05 pm »

And yes, the liaison has talked to the mayor, successfully arranging the trade agreement and then leaving.

The dialogue for becoming a barony is different from the trade agreement dialogue. I can't remember exactly what the liason says, but he asks whether you want to appoint one of your dwarves as baron.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:57:11 pm »

I have been watching my baron (who is also my mayor, for some reason) successfully snub the liaison officer for a while today. It's awkward, because the liaison has just offered her the position of Count, so she should be thrilled. Talking with the liaison seems to be the lowest possible priority on this lady's list, below, giving food, cleaning, eat and drink (naturally), and staring vacantly at frozen water buffalo dung.

That said, if you have chatted with the liaison with the requirements met, even trading and all, then maybe it's a glitch. Did you try the wiki's suggestion of keeping the mayor and the liaison apart until the caravan leaves?

Quote from: wiki

Have a caravan leave when your population is 20
    Exported 10k wealth
    Created (Imported?) 100k wealth

If a player meets the above requirements and still can't promote anyone, this may be due to a glitch. This affects some games and requires that the trade caravan depart before meeting with the liaison in order to get the barony option. Try keeping your mayor and liaison separate until after the caravan has left the map.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:00:45 am by Ozarck »

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 12:40:22 am »

Remove their other labors and duties; they'd invariably rather haul stones across the map than actually talk to any visiting diplomats.  It's not necessarily the lowest job on their list, but they'll interrupt it for all kinds of reasons, and they need to talk for a little while to actually complete the job.  I think it's better to take the other labors off as soon as the diplomat appears on the map, because you may lose time while your representative eats and sleeps.

I think waiting until after the caravan leaves is only important if they also serve the broker role, but once you have enough dwarfs to have a baron you can probably spare someone else for brokering.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 01:10:45 am »

I also understand that liaison comes year after you reach requirements. Probably idea is he bring back report on your fortress and your bosses think "Gosh, it's time to promote them"
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:22:34 pm »

Once you reach the requirements, the liaison will make the offer every year until you accept it. If you refuse, they will not negotiate a trade agreement.

The population requirement pretty much fulfils itself, because it's indeed a whopping twenty dwarfs. On the wealth/export requirement, i don't know how exactly they work. It may be that export only checks for the exports to the _dwarven_ civ. I'm pretty certain that only actual exports count, not gifts to the civilisation.

One strange thing i observed is that expedition leaders will occasionally start and hold a meeting with a liaison while other jobs are available to them. Landed nobles, however, treat meetings as idle time, i.e. absolutely any 'job' available to them anywhere in the fortress will cause them to instantly rush out of the meeting and do whatever pointless thing they're allowed to do, the further from their throneroom the better. I regularly lock my nobles in their office with the liaison. I'd probably end up with multi-year diplomat pileups otherwise.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 07:02:05 pm »

Do you have a sheriff/cpt of the guard?  You need this position filled as well (see the wiki for details).

This was the reason I didn't get a baron for a while.  Accidentally appointed the position just before my mayor met with the liaison, and suddenly got the offer.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 07:17:17 pm »

As above: Need Justice.

Also, someone mentioned not giving gifts; I was under the impression that you had to give 1000 urists as gift before the first tier of nobility was offered, and 1000 more for each upgrade. Could be wrong though, I'm still trying to keep interest in a fortress long enough to get the offer.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 07:25:58 pm »

Do you have a sheriff/cpt of the guard?  You need this position filled as well (see the wiki for details).

Wow really? I never bothered with the justice system. Thank you so much! Hopefully my current fort will soon have some proper nobility.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 07:56:30 pm »

As above: Need Justice.

Also, someone mentioned not giving gifts; I was under the impression that you had to give 1000 urists as gift before the first tier of nobility was offered, and 1000 more for each upgrade. Could be wrong though, I'm still trying to keep interest in a fortress long enough to get the offer.

This is not necessary.  Exporting a small amount of wealth (I think like 5000), will get you the king/queen +consort very quickly.  So I never do this before I'm ready.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 09:35:02 am »

Are you sure or can somebody else confirm? I'm quite sure that I already had a duke before appointing a cpt. of the guard or sheriff.
Pages: [1] 2