Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42841 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #405 on: June 27, 2013, 04:38:33 pm »

Thanks for the information. How big are the general strikes? What impact are they having? Is Erdogan's internal party support weakening?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 27, 2013, 04:53:18 pm »

How many cops are defecting?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 27, 2013, 04:55:19 pm »

Not much. Turkey has conscription so it's kinda risky for Erdoğan to go for military intervention. I don't think they'll side with cops if that happens. The only thing I saw was a group of soldiers in Hakkari holding a paper that says "Resist, Gezi Park, Hakkari soldiers are with you". Also, one time the police tried to enter a military hospital with a police truck because it was a shortcut or something. Soldiers denied them access and the police had to leave the area. One of the cops said "We will throw gas bombs next time" and a soldier replied with "Go ahead and throw them. We will throw something else." Heh, imagine cops and soldiers fighting against each other with gas and frag grenades flying around. Raining down gas bombs at hospitals is something our police force seems to love anyway.

I love the arrogance of that. What kind of idiot thinks the military is afraid of tear gas?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 28, 2013, 08:08:29 am »

Not much. Turkey has conscription so it's kinda risky for Erdoğan to go for military intervention. I don't think they'll side with cops if that happens. The only thing I saw was a group of soldiers in Hakkari holding a paper that says "Resist, Gezi Park, Hakkari soldiers are with you". Also, one time the police tried to enter a military hospital with a police truck because it was a shortcut or something. Soldiers denied them access and the police had to leave the area. One of the cops said "We will throw gas bombs next time" and a soldier replied with "Go ahead and throw them. We will throw something else." Heh, imagine cops and soldiers fighting against each other with gas and frag grenades flying around. Raining down gas bombs at hospitals is something our police force seems to love anyway.

I love the arrogance of that. What kind of idiot thinks the military is afraid of tear gas?
One who forgets that the military is primarily equipped to kill, unlike the police. 
Sometimes, you can forget that when your stuff has been working consistently on unarmed people for the past few weeks and been getting/forcing your way without proper pushback.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:14:29 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2013, 02:55:32 am »

Or someone that know that the soldier ain't going to shoot to kill and doesn't have the gear to answer in a non-lethal fashion.

Also, there is a treaty somewhere banning the use of tear gas in warfare.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 03, 2013, 10:10:54 am »

Yup, using tear gas is banned under the third Geneva conference, together with all other poison gasses (ie, they didn't make an exception). Which is a fairly sad thing, as house to house fighting could be greatly simplified with it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 03, 2013, 04:19:17 pm »

Or someone that know that the soldier ain't going to shoot to kill and doesn't have the gear to answer in a non-lethal fashion.
A soldier loyal to the government won't shoot to kill. Tear gassing soldiers is a great way to incite a coup.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 03, 2013, 04:25:38 pm »

Sadly, the latter isn't likely to happen unless we find some aliens, or another universal enemy, to shoot at.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 03, 2013, 04:27:34 pm »

Sadly, the latter isn't likely to happen unless we find some aliens, or another universal enemy, to shoot at.
Or if the EU keeps adding new members :v

WHEN WILL MURRICA JOIN!?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 03, 2013, 04:30:15 pm »

Okay, I forgot. Peace by bureaucracy. Ie, internal strife limited by the bureaucratic nightmare to do something about it.

And Murrica won't join. The union is one of values, like peace, democracy, freedom and stuff like that.

Or some aliens visit with some kind of weird ass pacifism bomb.
Knowing human psychology, we'd have pasifisicm wars or something. ((In which it is the point to kill at little as possible. The winner is the person who can survive longest on a single leaf of lettuce.))

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 03, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »

Or some aliens visit with some kind of weird ass pacifism bomb.
Knowing human psychology, we'd have pasifisicm wars or something. ((In which it is the point to kill at little as possible. The winner is the person who can survive longest on a single leaf of lettuce.))
That is mass mind control... and if they can do weird ass 'pacifism bombs' they can do much worse.  Fight the invaders.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 03, 2013, 05:33:22 pm »

The union is one of values, like peace, democracy, freedom and stuff like that.

Spoiler: Off-topic response (click to show/hide)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 03, 2013, 06:15:35 pm »

I thought he meant the [European] union.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 03, 2013, 09:24:51 pm »

Did he now? If so, I apologize for being an idiot. Hearing 'murica and those three words in a same paragraph throws me into an uncontrollable rage makes me mildly displeased.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:34:22 pm by Hiiri »

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 04, 2013, 12:41:24 am »

Did he now? If so, I apologize for being an idiot. Hearing 'murica and those three words in a same paragraph throws me into an uncontrollable rage makes me mildly displeased.
You could, you know, go up and check what he said instead of asking, "did he now?".
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32