Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42840 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #390 on: June 21, 2013, 10:29:09 am »

Maybe if 50 years there might be a Obama University or High school.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 21, 2013, 10:55:36 am »

It's a bit different when you are naming it after someone who is retired/dead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 21, 2013, 11:02:07 am »

When the media was a bit more sympathetic to Erdogan they used to point out that he tried to portray himself as a sort-of second Atatürk, a second father of the nation who tried to reconcile Atatürk's reforms with moderate islam. Of course the whole personal cult thing is always a pretty good indication of authoritarianism.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 23, 2013, 07:39:46 am »

Lol, Now look what Erdogan is saying about the Brazil protests.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/22/erdogan-turkey-brazil_n_3483639.html?utm_hp_ref=world

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 23, 2013, 11:45:06 am »

Heh. I expected him to blame the Brazilian government for being too oppressive but this is even better xD.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 24, 2013, 11:05:54 am »

When the media was a bit more sympathetic to Erdogan they used to point out that he tried to portray himself as a sort-of second Atatürk, a second father of the nation who tried to reconcile Atatürk's reforms with moderate islam. Of course the whole personal cult thing is always a pretty good indication of authoritarianism.
What? He hates Atatürk. Atatürk is the last thing he would want to portray. He even called Atatürk a drunkard once. He is more like late Ottoman rulers and his supporters usually hail him as a caliphate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/22/erdogan-turkey-brazil_n_3483639.html?utm_hp_ref=world
Heh. Same old, same old. He keeps saying things like, "It's all a conspiracy! Foreign agents want to overthrow us!" This guy is hilarious. He even said "I'm not a dictator!" which reminded me of "I'm not a crook!" :D

The cop who shot and killed Ethem Sarısülük is released. I knew I was wishing for too much when I wanted him to get arrested for murder. Oh well.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 24, 2013, 11:13:16 am »

Anything on the military's stance in the unrest?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 24, 2013, 05:25:57 pm »

What? He hates Atatürk. Atatürk is the last thing he would want to portray. He even called Atatürk a drunkard once. He is more like late Ottoman rulers and his supporters usually hail him as a caliphate.
That was meant as "as important to Turkey as Atatürk", without ideological implications. Basically he wants to be as revered as Atatürk traditionally was/is, while he ideological moves the country away from Atatürk's legacy. And as I said, that was a media opinion from a few years ago, when Erdogan's authoritarianism and islamism seemed less obvious.

The cop who shot and killed Ethem Sarısülük is released. I knew I was wishing for too much when I wanted him to get arrested for murder. Oh well.
I've seen something about that on tv, they basically let the cops get away with anything while doctors who provided medical assistance to protesters are persecuted and threatened with losing their license.

Last weekend the Alevite community organized a demo in Cologne, with about 40000 people attending. That was the biggest support rally here so far. Also a lot of creative work by protesters circling in the news media. (slogans are only translated to german though)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:46:52 pm by XXSockXX »

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 24, 2013, 08:21:41 pm »

Heh. Same old, same old. He keeps saying things like, "It's all a conspiracy! Foreign agents want to overthrow us!" This guy is hilarious. He even said "I'm not a dictator!" which reminded me of "I'm not a crook!" :D
Of course it's a conspiracy. It's being perpetrated by The Queen of England who also assassinated JFK while being mind controlled by aliens.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2013, 08:55:39 pm »

Amanpour was quoted as saying that petroleum, alcoholic beverage companies and finance lobbies had "threatened" the network into covering the anti-government protests that rocked Turkey.
Big Oil, Big Business and Big Beer, truly the fiendish Trifecta of Evil behind it all.

Just throw in a bit of anti-semitism in there (international Jewish conspiracy) and we've got the ball rolling.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 24, 2013, 09:09:46 pm »

At first I thought Poland was a pokeball.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 24, 2013, 09:18:14 pm »

That's why they call him Polandball.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 24, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »

He should really be Indonesia ball with that colour scheme.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2013, 11:31:24 pm »

He should really be Indonesia ball with that colour scheme.
Polandball is always supposed to be upside-down.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 27, 2013, 02:47:29 pm »

We now have games developed for the Gezi Park events. I noticed a MMORPG project where the players play as a protester. Game is gonna be played on Google maps and you can do stuff like carrying the wounded and things like that. It's still being developed. Utopia of a Tyrant looks like an interesting game too, and it's in English I guess. I haven't played any of these games because I'm at an internet cafe right now and I don't have time to play games. (That sounded a little serious and aggressive than I have intended)

This is slowly turning into an art movement. People draw pictures, develop games and do graffiti across the country with themes of revolution, corrupt governments, and environmentalism.

Anything on the military's stance in the unrest?
Not much. Turkey has conscription so it's kinda risky for Erdoğan to go for military intervention. I don't think they'll side with cops if that happens. The only thing I saw was a group of soldiers in Hakkari holding a paper that says "Resist, Gezi Park, Hakkari soldiers are with you". Also, one time the police tried to enter a military hospital with a police truck because it was a shortcut or something. Soldiers denied them access and the police had to leave the area. One of the cops said "We will throw gas bombs next time" and a soldier replied with "Go ahead and throw them. We will throw something else." Heh, imagine cops and soldiers fighting against each other with gas and frag grenades flying around. Raining down gas bombs at hospitals is something our police force seems to love anyway.

That was meant as "as important to Turkey as Atatürk", without ideological implications. Basically he wants to be as revered as Atatürk traditionally was/is, while he ideological moves the country away from Atatürk's legacy. And as I said, that was a media opinion from a few years ago, when Erdogan's authoritarianism and islamism seemed less obvious.

I've seen something about that on tv, they basically let the cops get away with anything while doctors who provided medical assistance to protesters are persecuted and threatened with losing their license.

Last weekend the Alevite community organized a demo in Cologne, with about 40000 people attending. That was the biggest support rally here so far. Also a lot of creative work by protesters circling in the news media. (slogans are only translated to german though)
Alevis have been persecuted against by the Turkish government for years now. A group of fundamentalist Islamists massacred around 30 Alevis some years ago in Sivas, and the government allowed the murderers to walk free. Imagine how they see atheists if they are this intolerant against people who just happens to believe in a different school of thought of Islam.

Anyway, situation is still the same. People are getting fired from their jobs when they talk too much about Gezi Park events. Legal stuff is still going on with complicated and slow cases but I don't see any importance of them. Erdoğan changes the laws and uses loopholes when he realizes laws are working against him so there is probably not much to gain through courts. There are at least a hundred cases of police brutality but most cops are being found innocent like the little innocent angels they are. The case about Gezi Park is still going on and it will probably go on for a good while.

Police is still attacking when they feel like it, protestors run away when police gets overzealous and then they claim key protest areas back when the police is absent again. The police is kinda over exhausted too. I have seen countless photos of cops sleeping on the street, with their armor on. Paid vacation for the police was cancelled but after the understandable reaction from the police, the cancellation itself was cancelled. I also heard about lots of police officers leaving their jobs too.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32