Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42854 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #360 on: June 16, 2013, 03:22:58 pm »

I've been having trouble uploading my photos because of a few technical issues. I'll aim to get some pictures on here by the end of the week. Just a heads up, in case anyone was wondering.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 16, 2013, 03:28:41 pm »

Don't listen to him. Owlbread is clearly an AKP infiltrator attempting to lay the groundwork for the Scot-Turk Caliphate. We're onto your game!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 16, 2013, 03:34:55 pm »

Don't listen to him. Owlbread is clearly an AKP infiltrator attempting to lay the groundwork for the Scot-Turk Caliphate. We're onto your game!

You laugh, you joke... but at the back of your mind you wonder.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 16, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »

All you need is Portugal and Finland and you can have Europe surrounded.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 16, 2013, 06:35:15 pm »

All you need is Portugal and Finland and you can have Europe surrounded.

I am sure it can be arranged.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 16, 2013, 08:14:20 pm »

Nah. Because That would imply the Turks can cover the Balkans anymore, which is, a bit of a leap.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 16, 2013, 10:08:13 pm »

Nah. Because That would imply the Turks can cover the Balkans anymore, which is, a bit of a leap.

Well from their position they have influence over the Balkans, the whole of the Black Sea region, much of the Eastern Mediterranean; they've got that corner basically covered, they don't necessarily need to invade Serbia or something to "have it covered".

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 16, 2013, 10:16:58 pm »

Oh no, not necessarily Serbia, just the whole freaking region.

They spent a very long period of their history being held by something or another. Now it has enough AKs to make sure it never happens again (there is a Serbian song entitled "Kalishnikov") That's why we kill each other, on the off chance someone gets a funny idea.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 16, 2013, 10:34:16 pm »

Oh no, not necessarily Serbia, just the whole freaking region.

They spent a very long period of their history being held by something or another. Now it has enough AKs to make sure it never happens again (there is a Serbian song entitled "Kalishnikov") That's why we kill each other, on the off chance someone gets a funny idea.

Again, I wasn't really talking about invasion or anything; they don't need to go that far. They just have "influence".

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 16, 2013, 10:56:07 pm »

I thought the internet generally sees OC as a good thing?
I wouldn't know, never been to Orange County.

German media have reported that they mixed something into the water (a politician visiting Gezi Park got sprayed), but didn't explain what exactly it was.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 18, 2013, 01:46:37 am »

A very creative and touching protest tactic has been invented.

As anti-government protests continue to gain momentum in Turkey, they are also getting more creative. Last night, in the middle of the now infamous Taksim Square, a man in a white shirt stood in complete stillness, staring at the large Turkish flag and poster of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk on the nearby Ataturk Cultural Centre. The man had a sports bag to his side, planted on the floor. People in and around Taksim Square initially took little notice of the man.

Hours passed. The Turkish police, who have been on guard in Taksim to prevent protests, eventually noticed the man and headed over. They asked him several questions and searched his bag. The man didn't respond, continuing to stare into the distance.

It soon became obvious the man was staging a new kind of protest -- one he hoped would encourage a new, creative way of voicing opposition to the ongoing police brutality and oppression of basic human rights in Turkey.

Meanwhile, the hashtag #duranadam, or standing man, became the number one trending topic worldwide on Twitter. The power of the silent protest quickly went viral on social media. People from all around Turkey and the world have posted images of their own "standing man" photo ...

As support for the protest grew on social media, so did the actual protest at Taksim Square. Hundreds of passers-by stood next to the man in the white shirt, staring in stillness in the same direction.

A person claiming to be the man's housemate wrote on Twitter that the protest would continue for the next month, and that every three hours, there'd be a shift change, where someone else would take over the protest.

But it was short-lived. Police -- despite their initial confusion over what to do -- arrested the man in the white shirt, as well as the several people around him.

He was let go a few hours later. When asked by police why he was standing there, he replied: "I'm waiting for my friend." The police asked who his friend was, to which the man replied: "Ethem Sarisuluk". Sarisuluk is the latest casualty of police violence in Turkey who died on the weekend following being shot at his head with a tear gas bottle.

The single man's act of defiance has now turned into a global phenomenon, with photos being posted on Twitter. Or as the country's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan refers to it, the menace of society.

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 18, 2013, 01:51:56 am »

My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 18, 2013, 01:55:57 am »

Standing man vs Tank Dude. In a staring contest, or game of Chicken, of course

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 18, 2013, 05:02:38 am »

Okay, how much time until Erdogan decree that anyone standing still is a terrorist?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 19, 2013, 03:40:19 am »

I'd give it a week.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32