Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42957 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #240 on: June 07, 2013, 12:00:40 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22817460
In response, Mr Erdogan accused the EU of double standards, saying police in Europe and the US used the similar methods.

"Similar protests have taken place in Britain, France, Germany and bigger ones in Greece," he said.
Yeah, right...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 07, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22817460
In response, Mr Erdogan accused the EU of double standards, saying police in Europe and the US used the similar methods.

"Similar protests have taken place in Britain, France, Germany and bigger ones in Greece," he said.
Yeah, right...
That's nothing. He said 17 people died in the occupy protests in Wall Street because of police intervention.

This guy can do nothing to justify the police brutalization that's going on, so he is trying to normalize it now.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 07, 2013, 12:12:44 pm »

That there was brutalization at Occupy protests does not seem to be a valid argument to take them as a basis and build it to the next level... I'm suspecting people are going to have trouble buying that justification.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:19:56 pm by GlyphGryph »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 07, 2013, 12:36:43 pm »

Yeah, we just right now have a case where some cops are accused of overreacting at an occupy demo in Frankfurt (I think they broke a camera). The difference to Turkey is - there was media outrage, now an investigation and if necessary there will be a trial.

Leatra:
Is turkish media coverage getting any better?

What is "the silent majority" thinking?

Are you worried AKP voters might start (violently) counter-protesting?

Media here are reporting about the different goals of the protesters, tensions between Kurds and Kemalists, fear of CHP or other opposition parties hijacking the protests. Are you seeing any of that?

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 07, 2013, 12:38:32 pm »

Took an whole day to finish finally reading all that has been going on...great job Leatra! Learnt and came to know about a lot besides this.
Because of the major news networks of the world covering this so poorly,
No wonder over here in India, there is hardly any media coverage other than the red dress lady incident.
and a mention by a columnist in a paper comparing it and saying how the Indian government should be warned and not try to make laws which are invading individual's rights like the ones they are trying to pass right now over here which are mainly to control media and also telecommunications monitoring. This is one of the examples- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/internet/Indias-web-phone-surveillance-system-draws-flak/articleshow/20479332.cms

Also I have question Leatra, you haven't mentioned this before and just answer it in a few words,
Has all these harsh rules like  heavy media censorship, booze etc only started since His ascent to power suddenly by Him or has it been there before Him and He only worsened it?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:41:35 pm by AlmightyOne »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 07, 2013, 12:46:45 pm »

Also I have question Leatra, you haven't mentioned this before and just answer it in a few words,
Has all these harsh rules like  heavy media censorship, booze etc only started since His ascent to power suddenly by Him or has it been there before Him and He only worsened it?
The AKP has been in power since 2002. It's fairly hard to compare. (Also, hardly fair)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2013, 01:52:49 pm »

Posting to watch.

Good luck, Turkey! I really hope you guys end up with a better government out of all of this.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2013, 02:13:49 pm »

Can't ask that, since they'd no longer be part of the silent majority after talking to him.
Loopholed like a lawyer, sir  ;).

Let me rephrase the question: What is the non-protesting population thinking? Is there much agreement/disagreement with the protesters?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2013, 10:49:16 pm »

Right now our sample size of non-protesters is one, and that would be Leatra, who's probably firmly in the "support of protesters" side, from the evidence

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2013, 08:58:00 am »

I'll answer questions only, because there isn't much I can share at this point. Police brutality and lies of the media keep going as usual.
Yeah, we just right now have a case where some cops are accused of overreacting at an occupy demo in Frankfurt (I think they broke a camera). The difference to Turkey is - there was media outrage, now an investigation and if necessary there will be a trial.

Leatra:
Is turkish media coverage getting any better?

Are you worried AKP voters might start (violently) counter-protesting?

Media here are reporting about the different goals of the protesters, tensions between Kurds and Kemalists, fear of CHP or other opposition parties hijacking the protests. Are you seeing any of that?
The Turkish media started show some recordings of the protests areas after the backlash from people. But they were usually biased when showing this. A woman was holding a bottle of vinegar to lessen the effects of the gas on her eyes and she was branded as a molotov-wielding maniac. A photo of a Turkish flag being burned by the protestors have been shown too, but it's clearly the work of Photoshop because the flag wasn't on fire even though it was physically on a fire. There is also this:
I was already used to the lies of Turkish media but they are now getting incredibly extreme. I'm seeing things I read about in Nineteen Eighty-Four by Orwell. It's not just the Turkish media that's taking sides. There are even big companies supporting AKP. They are under a widespread boycott by the protestors but Turkish media isn't easy to boycott because that's where everyone gets information, at least people who don't use social media. Turkish media doesn't only lick Erdoğan's ass to get rewarded by him, there are people who agree with him. A journalist once said "In this country, alcohol, prostitution, sex without marriage, being faithless, statues, ideologies, ballet, romantic relationships without marriage, bikini and more is allowed. With all these freedoms, what else do they want, why they are protesting?" I wish you guys knew enough Turkish to read what these motherfuckers are saying. I'm living in a country where ballet and statues are seen as something that wouldn't be allowed normally, and people treat Turkey like we are a secular and free country because everyone compares us to Middle East rather than Europa.

I'm not seeing any clashes between the protestors with opposing ideologies. Actually, there was a group of people who was performing namaz at the protest area. The protestors formed a wall by surrounding them so nobody would harass them. You know there is solidarity in a protestor group if an atheist is protecting a Muslim from any possible provocation. It's the first time in Turkey I'm seeing this much solidarity withing the supporters of opposing ideologies. CHP didn't hijack the protests and they actually didn't say anything about it until after 3-4 days. They are supportive of the protests, but they aren't actively joining the protests with their party banners and stuff. This movement has started by the people, and no political party can hijack it. The people wouldn't allow it. There are lots of people who dislike CHP there. I didn't see any tension between Kurds and Kemalists too. I have seen some Kurds doing PKK propaganda but nobody intervened and they left by themselves. Ass-licker Turkish media and AKP tries to polarize the groups with labels like Secularists, Kurds, Kemalists, etc, and the foreign media is probably getting information from them.

AKP loyalists are already attacking people in the streets with the iron clubs. Cops use them as a militia. You can see AKP loyalists and cops throwing rocks at protestors together in this video. I mean... Seriously, if the police is throwing rocks at a protestor group, than something is wrong with this country. I have seen people chasing down by-standers with machetes and clubs. What kind of a person would do that.

If you mean a literal counter-protesting, like with slogans and banners and stuff, that only happened at Atatürk Airport when a group of AKP loyalists were gathered by AKP politicians to welcome Erdoğan to the country. I'm not worried of their protesting. Everyone is free to voice their opinions and they are welcome to do so. I'm worried they are attacking the protestors with clubs and machetes. Even that gathering at Atatürk Airport didn't happen by the people itself. AKP politicians actively gathered a group by sending messages to them and gathering them with AKP funded busses. They set up fireworks and a sound system.

Then they lied to everyone with things like "We couldn't stop them. They wanted to welcome the president." Even when the evidence suggesting the exactly opposite of that was existing on the internet.

It can be seen very easily that they are only there because someone told them to. While protesting, there is a guy who shouts a slogan with a megaphone, so the rest can understand the slogan and shout it together. The guy with the megaphone said "Don't test our patience, Taksim!" and some of the people interpreted that as "Don't test our patience, Tayyip!" and they kept shouting Tayyip instead of Taksim. I don't know if this is hilarious or embarrassing. This kind of community is more than what a dictator would want. We should gather these groups into a time machine and send them to Nazi Germany or Stalin's Soviet Russia or something.

Well, I did join the protests at Taksim, so I don't think I count as a non-protestor. I definitely did less than all the brave people protesting near the police, throwing active gas canisters away, helping the wounded, etc, but I can at least say "I was there" to my and grandchild one day.

"The silent majority" and the non-protesting population are either AKP loyalists or people who aren't able to join the protests. I know several people who couldn't join the protests because their families were worried (and they couldn't come up with a lie like me) or simply scared to join the protests. AKP loyalists are already showing their colors by assaulting the protestors with police and with their comments on the social media. Considering how protests in İstanbul are so big people can't fit into Taksim anymore, I'd say there are lots of people sympathizing with the protestors but can't join actively.

Took an whole day to finish finally reading all that has been going on...great job Leatra! Learnt and came to know about a lot besides this.
Because of the major news networks of the world covering this so poorly,
No wonder over here in India, there is hardly any media coverage other than the red dress lady incident.
and a mention by a columnist in a paper comparing it and saying how the Indian government should be warned and not try to make laws which are invading individual's rights like the ones they are trying to pass right now over here which are mainly to control media and also telecommunications monitoring. This is one of the examples- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/internet/Indias-web-phone-surveillance-system-draws-flak/articleshow/20479332.cms
AKP could never do something like that in Turkey. They don't understand how Internet works and it would be easily hackable or easily circumvented. Every self-respecting internet user in Turkey has the basic understanding of DNS options and proxies thanks to the censorship of AKP.

The AKP has been in power since 2002. It's fairly hard to compare. (Also, hardly fair)
Yeah, AKP has been in power since 2002. They were very slow with furthering their conservative and fundamentalist Islamic agenda. They knew how to keep the people with the same memory capability of a fish. They knew how to widen their influence and keep people from rebelling. They rewarded their followers and punished the people who kept criticizing them.

I still remember all the women who got raped by 10-15 people at the same time and the rapists managed to walk free because the woman in question was deemed "she was clearly enjoying it" by the judges. It really doesn't matter if you are a rapist maniacal murderous sociopath or not. The only thing that matters is if you support AKP or not. Erdoğan is your Big Brother who will protect you if you support him. If you support the big guy, you can do whatever you want. The laws are only enforced when it benefits AKP somehow. We are talking about a PM whose nephew was caught with 50 kilograms (110 pounds) of cannabis, and managed to walk free. Drug laws are more strict at Turkey than USA, but I'm sure you guys don't allow people to carry a drug shipment in their cars either.

I think one day Erdoğan thought "Eh, fuck it" and started pushing the throttle-o-dictatorship to the max. Now he has broken the throttle with an uproarious sound and everyone can hear it's echos. I think all these slow processes started to bore him. After people had it enough and started protesting, he expected everyone to calm down after a few days. I think he is yet to realize the seriousness of the situation because he keeps getting more harsher with his statements. He said that it would be best to hang the people who are spreading "lies" from Twitter with the trees at Gezi Park. He lied about 17 people getting killed in the Occupy Wall Street movement. There are lots of things I can say about Erdoğan right now but I think these are enough to show that this guy is not the compromising democratic type and he will just make things worse.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2013, 09:10:30 am »

Apparently the police deserted Taksim, which I guess mean they finally realized beating up protestors in front of TV camera ain't going to help them. Do protestors move on to other areas? Holding the square ain't enough, you should occupy Istanbul's city hall.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2013, 09:17:40 am »

There are protestors everywhere. Please don't focus on Taksim only. I think that's why they left, like you said beating up everyone in front of TV won't help them. A 28 years old man died just yesterday in Gazi neighborhood (that's in istanbul) because he got shot in the head by a gas canister. Beşiktaş is the most bloody place in İstanbul when it comes to protests. Taksim is more like a festival area right now.

Occupying İstanbul's city hall is the same thing with "We want to die, please send some cops to kill us" so I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Also more than 60 provinces out of 81 in Turkey are protesting. So it's not just about İstanbul anymore.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:39:04 am by Leatra »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2013, 09:23:24 am »

I know, but the international media is focused on Taksim, which is why going by them the protests are winding down.  You can't win if the world forget about you.

As for occupying city hall, I meant more protesting in front of it that storming the building. It's an AKP mayor in Istanbul, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2013, 10:17:15 am »

Amazing photo

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2013, 10:37:35 am »

Leatra, I'm dedicating this Foo Fighters song to you. Keep up the fight bro!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32