Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42872 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2013, 02:08:29 am »

Assad is probably sitting in his Palace laughing his ass off. And possibly sending off messages along the line of "WHAT DID I TELL YOU? WHAT DID I FUCKING TELL YOU? MESS WITH ME AGAIN ASSHOLE." Turkey has been VERY anti-Assad, so it's more likely Irony, and the Turkish government ends up being a hypocrite.
Queue the Mossad theories in 3... 2... 1...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2013, 02:14:38 am »

I personally think this uprising was actually planned out by Mossad.
Did you know a Mossad operative planned out the park where this all started? Think about it...

Sigulbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2013, 03:17:55 am »

God this is so interesting.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2013, 03:30:32 am »

Major labor unions of Turkey (DİSK and KESK for example) are gathering. Probability of a full-scale strike is high. Eğitim-Sen already took a decision to go to strike on 5 June. And I have exams this week...

People talked about how to build an EMP grenade in a Turkish live channel. They were complaining about the signal jammers police was carrying. They also talked about a protest movement tactic. According to them, one protestor should wear special construction gloves and carry a bucket full of water. Whenever a gas canister is being shot, the protestor should pick up the canister and throw it into the bucket. Water deactivates the gas bombs. A common tactic against armored police vehicles is getting a wet towel and sticking it to the exhaust. The cops inside have to leave the vehicle because of toxic gas after that. Another way to stop armored trucks is spraying paint to their cameras.

The same football fan club, Çarşı, have managed to liberated a TOMA (armored police truck capable of firing high-pressure water). I don't have the photos to support it, but I have been hearing this from everywhere.

Turkcell: We received political pressure to block communications in Turkey (English source)

Erdoğan said "They are spreading lies on social media and Twitter. [We] should hang these people on the trees there" Turkish source

A very close-up video of AKP's militia and police working together. The people there are not civil police. I saw a guy wearing a black mask similar to protestors. Civil police doesn't wear masks like that.

AKP loyalists following the cops again

You can see the cops' true intention here. They are trying to enter a shop. You can see one of them holding a gas grenade. They are trying to open the door enough to throw the grenade in. The video ends when the police spots the recorder.

And, well, there are the usual police brutality I have showed at least 15 videos about.

Look at these weirdo cops attacking people randomly in İzmir.

Beşiktaş is being held by protestors, the police pulled back.
Taksim was very calm but it's getting crowded again.

In case anyone is wondering about the scale of things.
-A football fan group named "Çarşı" has just "liberated" a power shovel-
Good god, that's hilarious. Construction Equipment of the Revolution!
Erdoğan will be visiting Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco at 3 June 10:30 while his country is burning down. Turkish Source
Right, "visiting". Here's hoping he buys his Saudi Arabian retirement palace and never comes back to Turkey.
More police brutality
I'm surprised the ones in the bus are just standing there. That many people could probably tip it over if they all started rocking back and forth.
I think the people in that bus were the arrested ones. I can see one of them trying to push the door or something.

BTW, Erdoğan is talking about his visit to other countries on live right now like nothing wrong is going on with Turkey at the moment.

Has the military done anything yet?
They've been supplying the protesters and generally declared solidarity with them.
Yeah. Erdoğan already threw lots of outspoken generals into prison and people are not expecting a military coup. Turkish military has conscription so the soldiers are more supportive than you might expect.

There have been solidarity rallys in several bigger german cities, like Cologne and Berlin.

Also Syria has called for Erdogan to resign for repressing protests, apparently completely unfamiliar with the concept of "hypocrisy"...
Assad is probably sitting in his Palace laughing his ass off. And possibly sending off messages along the line of "WHAT DID I TELL YOU? WHAT DID I FUCKING TELL YOU? MESS WITH ME AGAIN ASSHOLE." Turkey has been VERY anti-Assad, so it's more likely Irony, and the Turkish government ends up being a hypocrite.
Yeah, I was just going to tell about this but you guys beat me to it. I laughed really hard after I heard this. I say our government should listen to this higher paragon of democracy!

This revolution didn't start with anything else than the people itself. There were no political parties or foreign influences involved. People occupied the park, police responded brutally. People responded the same, police kept getting worse. Everyone started puking all the hate and anger that was building up for years. It seems we were just waiting for the cops to poke the dragon.

Keeping this short, because I'm going to school in half an hour. I didn't study for the exam today. And my head is hurting like my brain wants to set itself free from the restraints of my oppressive skull. Everyone is after freedom these days.

Edit: DİSK (Confederation of Revolutionary Trade Unions of Turkey) and Eğitim-sen (Education and Science Workers' Union) have decided to drop the work for 2 days. Wednesday they will go on general strike. Full-scale strike is almost a certainty.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:32:50 am by Leatra »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2013, 05:06:08 am »

I guess I can scratch out "Sightseeing in Istanbul" from my vacation ideas 2013 list.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2013, 05:20:42 am »

Good luck and stay safe. Especially since it seems police are attacking people at random and in their own homes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2013, 05:28:54 am »

I'm not surprised by Assad, back then Qaddafi was declaring his support for the "British rebels", aka the rioters in London. He's basically trying to put up Turkey as hypocrite for supporting the Syrian rebels while repressing protesters.

Leandra, don't answer to this if you fear a derail, but about the PKK leader, don't you think some kind of amnesty will be needed if peace is to be negotiated? I can understand this being popular, but it's probably a good thing if it's part of a wider peace proposal.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2013, 05:33:10 am »

People react to oppression with either courage or fear, and the bravery on display here is a sight to admire.

Keep safe, and thanks for keeping all of us posted.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2013, 06:37:01 am »

Çarşı sounds like the most awesome football fan club ever.  I kindof want to start supporting their team out of solidarity.

This is a really excellent aggregation of English and Turkish news though, thanks for putting it together.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2013, 06:41:20 am »

You just know that in the future that will have so many fans. Grandparents will tell their children about the time the local team stole a digger and fucked the police, and it was awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2013, 06:57:41 am »

OH SHIT
AK-47 in COP car
Police planning on dressing up as rioters and shooting police
Or maybe rioters planting guns to pretend to be police masquerading as rioters shooting the police
Or maybe mossad imitating rioters...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2013, 09:10:17 am »

http://defnesumanblogs.com/2013/06/01/what-is-happenning-in-istanbul/

yea I didn't know about this thread.

I got this from a facebook friend who knows a few people in turkey.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2013, 11:27:28 am »

I see a lot more pics and videos from twitter, tumblr etc showing up in german media. This is a good sign I think, and it shows how important it is to document and stream this.
They have reported the first "officially confirmed" death now, a 20 year old man was killed sunday evening in Istanbul, when a car drove into a protesting crowd.
There is a live stream of protests in Istanbul up again, don't know how long this will be up, seems to be news agency material. At least the police can't go in there, with the world watching.
Media consensus seems to be that it's a huge blow for Erdogan and his aspirations to change the constitution toward an authoritarian Putin-style presidency. The protests are generally seen as a democratic expression and a positive development toward a modern civil society (as opposed to the military coups of past decades). President Gül seems to try to play it more moderate, so even Erdogan's position within the AKP appears to be weakened.
International governments have condemned the police brutality, and - much more important - stock markets are falling, which should force Erdogan to compromise, because it hurts where the money is.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2013, 11:45:51 am »

Erdogan is a fanatic, so he's not likely to compromise. If he were a rational actor things wouldn't have gotten to this point. I'll call it now, this is only going to end with him being ousted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2013, 11:49:39 am »

Erdogan is a fanatic, so he's not likely to compromise. If he were a rational actor things wouldn't have gotten to this point. I'll call it now, this is only going to end with him being ousted.
I dunno, he seemed like a pretty decent guy just by running over the Wikipedia pages. Defending atheist rights, economic reforms, investing in education, attempted to solving the Cypriotic problems, ...

Difference between talking and acting, apparently.

Quote from: Also got a ton of awards
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I'd have to make a guess, I'd say he's megalomaniacal. Or maniacal.

People like this tend to have more ambition, more sympathy, and are better in inspiring people. However when things go against them, well...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:56:45 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32