Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42986 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2013, 09:20:25 pm »

"The government killed people who were only protesting about trees" is likely to be a memorable trigger.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2013, 09:21:59 pm »

The comparison I've heard is demolishing Central Park to put up a shopping center. Which I admit would piss me off enough to get me in the streets, impressive as I really don't like doing that.

Also impressive, Erdoğan hasn't even compromised on the Park issue, which s a level of denial-ism even Assad doesn't roll with (His stated plan is a national referendum).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2013, 12:49:43 am »

Amnesty International claimed two people had been killed and more than 1,000 injured, though there was no confirmation of those figures.
Well, that's the first coverage I've seen of the supposed deaths from yesterday. And that seems to be a number of injured just slightly higher than the official government number of "53 civilians".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2013, 12:53:40 am »

I've seen 1 video and at least 2 photos of people who looked very dead.  One of them was a girl laying on the ground with blood puddled around her neck and eyes gazing off into infinity.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2013, 02:02:21 am »

I couldn't sleep so I got up. It's raining, all that gas is coming down. The streets are smelling of pepper spray.

I love the smell of pepper spray in the morning.

Ahem. The cops are widening their arsenal. They are using this and this. People are saying this is used together with other gas bombs to increase the effect. This is explained here in Turkish. It's pretty much saying the same thing with the addition of "if one of them lands near you, don't attempt to pick it up and throw it back." Also, "Halkın fizikçileri" means "physicists of the people". Some people said the cops were using Agent Orange but this "physicist" is saying this is what's actually being used.

A TOMA armored vehicle ran down another protestor.

Police is using AKP loyalists now. Whenever an AKP loyalist group starts throwing rocks at protestors, cops do nothing. They don't intervene. In this video, you can see cops leading the way and the AKP loyalists following them. The people who are recording the video are shouting "Soldiers of Tayyip, keep walking... sons of bitches" "Join the people if you got the balls" "Don't walk from the back of the police, walk in front of them" "They are carrying iron clubs" This shows the true intention of the police. Why the cops aren't stopping them?

Police is attacking people like rabid dogs. The video might get deleted.
Spoiler: face of the police (click to show/hide)

In this video, you'll see cops and fanatics throwing rocks at protestors together. Pay attention to the clubs they are carrying.

Spoiler: More pics (click to show/hide)

AKP's reaction? "Well, it looks like they need some gas" (Turkish source)

I'm sharing only confirmed information with evidence. There are lots of lies spreading around and it's difficult to get the truth.

Leatra, what's the average opinion on the street about the Kurds? Are they going to make their chance?
Kurds are also joining the protest. Some people perceive this as an opportunity for PKK or somesuch. People are still having difficulty with standing together with this Kurd-Turk polarization. It's not only about Kurds, the most common clashing ideologies are secularism-fundementalism and leftism-rightism. All things considered, this is still the most strong act of solidarity I have seen from this nation. Pretty much everyone agrees that AKP must go and this is bringing people together. I have no idea what will become of the Kurd problem after this.

When you get back Leatra, are those homemade gas masks for sale or are people just making them in their homes?
People are making them in homes. All you need is a plastic bottle and some tools to do the cutting. People are also handing them out for free on street. However, my friend said he saw a bastard trying to sell some to two Russian tourists. People like these try to make profit of every situation.

Hope it all turns out well. Non-secular governments should never be tolerated.
Non-secular is irritating, but not really the primary issue here, it seems like. Being secular isn't really a defense against or justification for having puppet news stations or brutal police crackdowns, for instance.

Not all oppressive governments are non-secular, but all non-secular governments are oppressive.

Anyways, Turkey still has a tradition of democratic secularism. Ataturk was a secularist and the founder of modern Turkey, they should follow in his example, not taking after their neighbors to the east.
Primary issue is the oppressive and authoritarian regime of AKP but since AKP represents the non-secular here, that tends to come up a lot while protesting. A common chant used by protestors is "Turkey is secular, it will stay secular!". Also you can be sure that AKP loyalist equals fundamental Islamist. So it kinda turns into a Secularists vs Fundamentalists in the end.

Every AKP loyalist is a fundamentalist, but not every religious person is an AKP loyalist. That "We can't stand..." slogan is used frequently by the secularists. It started to be used when the government decided to enforce harsh laws about alcohol. The law isn't in effect yet, but if it's implemented selling of alcohol in 100 meter radius of any school or mosque will be a crime. Enough backstory, if a woman wearing a turban is holding a banner like that, there is a beautiful exception there. She is defending the rights of others. It doesn't matter if she's religious or not. It doesn't matter if she drinks alcohol or not. This is a rare sight and I wish there was more of that. So is it a secularists vs fundamentalists thing? I dunno, I'm not stating an opinion, I'm giving information and letting the people decide for themselves.

Something else of note, here's some info you may find useful; at the bottom of big articles on the BBC there's contact info for photos, interviews, ect
Quote from: From the Turkey protest article's page
Are you at the protests? If so please contact us using the form below.

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7624 800 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.
With a form under it for submitting contact info and such as well.

Anything big turns up, send it there.

Oh, and congratulations; you guys are now the biggest news story. Headline story on the websites of CNN (US & international), BBC, and AlJazeera.
I posted some important pics and videos. Biggest news story? I guess all the hours I spent with collecting, translating, validating and relaying information is well spent. I still got a feeling of "I should do something!" all the time though. I can't sleep because of it.

Be safe, Leatra!

I'm probably going to be the ONLY person saying this, but honestly, It needs to be said...

I seriously hope this is a real case of democracy springing up, and isn't like the various other revolutions that happened under the guise of the Arab Spring.
Thanks. That's what I'm hoping. The bloody circle of revolution is well known to me. This authoritative Islamist agenda needs to be stopped. I'm hoping for a non-rigged elections soon with the exclusion of AKP. The problem is, people are just walking around, shouting slogans, clashing with police, etc. We need a manifesto, a statement, a demand from the government. Occupying Taksim until the government drops it might not be the best course of action.

sharia law fundamentalist thugs will be bused in to hold 'counter protests' and the police will let them duke it out.
Whoa, good guess!

In this instance, the Islamists are already controlling the government and are the ones being protested against.
Probably not. I don't think protests are going to topple this government or cause any civil war. Over some trees in a park, really.
It isn't over the park. The crackdown on the park protest just set everyone off. Erdogan's abuses are many.
Truth. I can't really start counting the shit Eroğan puts us through but I can say this, this isn't about a park anymore. People are chanting "AKP, resign!". We were fed up and this was the last straw. It changed into something much bigger when police started headshotting people with gas bombs.

Amnesty International claimed two people had been killed and more than 1,000 injured, though there was no confirmation of those figures.
Well, that's the first coverage I've seen of the supposed deaths from yesterday. And that seems to be a number of injured just slightly higher than the official government number of "53 civilians".
I heard that there are four confirmed deaths. I heard around 15 deaths while rummaging through the pile of information on the internet. People who are injured must be definitely more than 1,000 if photos are anything to go by. People are puking their guts out because of gas and then passing out. I'd say it's higher than 53.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Spoiler: Some more photos (click to show/hide)

EDIT: WATCH THIS
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=551869698185497
PAY ATTENTION THE BEARDED GUY WEARING A WHITE SHIRT SHOUTING
He is shouting "Don't record" to the cameraman. Maybe civil police, maybe a fanatic civilian. Doesn't matter. This is way too cruel.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:49:00 am by Leatra »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2013, 02:41:11 am »

:(
That is insane.
Look out for yourself Leatra, and please keep us updated. I would hate to think something like that had happened to you.

The Australian public seems to support your cause. The cruelty of your government and police are being broadcast nationally.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2013, 03:02:35 am »

PTF

Good luck fighting with authoritarianism, hope that that will end with as few causalities as possible

Really glad to see stuff like that:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reminds me Orange Revolution so much, hope yours will end better
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2013, 03:33:02 am »

Before I read this thread, I had barely any clue that anything was wrong with Turkey.

Yeesh.

Well... please keep us updated. I want to know more about this.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2013, 04:46:05 am »

I liked the photo on that Tumblr of soldiers giving out gasmasks to protesters. :)

Also, despite the unpleasant nature of events, some of the photos taken have been quite beautiful in one way or another... That photo of the bridge Leatra shared before (which was also on the Tumblr) being a case in point.
Stay strong!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2013, 05:12:09 am »

Some people said the cops were using Agent Orange but this "physicist" is saying this is what's actually being used.
It is very doubtful they are using Agent Orange. There's the matter of it being hard to obtain, but even if they had it the fact remains that Agent Orange is primarily a herbicide and defoliant. It is dangerously toxic but not in a manner that makes a useful weapon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2013, 05:19:26 am »

Before I read this thread, I had barely any clue that anything was wrong with Turkey.

Yeesh.

Well... please keep us updated. I want to know more about this.
Same here. Yeesh indeed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2013, 05:39:21 am »

It's not Agent Orange, it's CS gas, or pepper spray. Agent Orange is a translation issue from the Turkish for orange gas, because, well, it's orange.

Although I could see Erdogan spreading defoliant on gezi to say "fuck you".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2013, 08:57:38 am »

Actually they've been using the other container of gas for a while, according to wikipedia. Here's an image from the page on Tear Gas.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All of those have been used in Istanbul. Yeah, I don't know how they got that, but whatever.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2013, 10:26:53 am »

I posted some important pics and videos. Biggest news story? I guess all the hours I spent with collecting, translating, validating and relaying information is well spent. I still got a feeling of "I should do something!" all the time though. I can't sleep because of it.

Posting pics and videos is doing something. Not only do we get a very interesting account of the events (thanks for that!), more importantly international media is reporting on the events, using pics and videos from social media that provide a much clearer view of things than what "official" reports are admitting. Ideally media attention will translate into political pressure and force Erdogan to stop police brutality.
Yesterday there was a support rally for Occupy Gezi in Berlin, with some 3000 people attending. That doesn't sound much, but Erdogan used to be popular amongst the turkish community in Germany (many of whom are eligible to vote in Turkey), so it might change something.

Take care!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2013, 12:26:30 pm »

We had a few hundred protesters in Brussels as well. No that bad since we don't have that many Turks around, and all the students are locked up studying. Keep up the good work, a few more days, only a few more days....

Also, he now want to build a mosque over Gezi park. What do you think, a way to brand protestors as anti-Islam?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32