Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32

Author Topic: Arab Spring springs to Turkey  (Read 42993 times)

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arab Spring springs to Turkey
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2013, 08:26:08 pm »

Hope it all turns out well. Non-secular governments should never be tolerated.
Non-secular is irritating, but not really the primary issue here, it seems like. Being secular isn't really a defense against or justification for having puppet news stations or brutal police crackdowns, for instance.

Not all oppressive governments are non-secular, but all non-secular governments are oppressive.

Anyways, Turkey still has a tradition of democratic secularism. Ataturk was a secularist and the founder of modern Turkey, they should follow in his example, not taking after their neighbors to the east.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2013, 08:31:22 pm »

So you consider the British government oppressive, DWC?

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2013, 08:35:57 pm »

Be safe, Leatra!

I'm probably going to be the ONLY person saying this, but honestly, It needs to be said...

I seriously hope this is a real case of democracy springing up, and isn't like the various other revolutions that happened under the guise of the Arab Spring.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 08:37:15 pm »

This, my friends, is a loaded question in it's natural habitat.

But he has a point. They are headed by the Queen, who is in turn the head of the Church of England.

Be safe, Leatra!

I'm probably going to be the ONLY person saying this, but honestly, It needs to be said...

I seriously hope this is a real case of democracy springing up, and isn't like the various other revolutions that happened under the guise of the Arab Spring.
They are protesting against a religious Leader
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2013, 08:37:26 pm »

This is one of those moments where all I have to say is I love the internet.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2013, 08:37:58 pm »

Hmm. Wow. I heard about this on the news... but wow.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2013, 08:38:29 pm »

The UK probably doesn't qualify as non-secular, although it nominally has an official religion. The links between church and state are mostly ceremonial formalities that have little or no impact on the governance there.

That said, the UK is a nanny state with plenty of restrictions on individual freedom. I wouldn't want to live there.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2013, 08:40:11 pm »

Guys if you want to debate the secular status of Britain and its implications, I'm pretty sure that would fit in the multicultural thread.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:28 pm »

This, my friends, is a loaded question in it's natural habitat.

But he has a point. They are headed by the Queen, who is in turn the head of the Church of England.

Be safe, Leatra!

They are protesting against a religious Leader

Honestly, while I'm hoping for the best, I've honestly given up expecting things to turn out well.

Like, ya know, Libya. Over through a Dictator, and then put up members of Islamic extremist groups as their new leaders. Or, Egypt, that now has a leader who has called for the destruction of Israel multiple times in the past.

I'm just saying, I hope this one turns out better.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:45:58 pm by Foamybeard »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2013, 09:02:53 pm »

I wonder how long it'll take for Erdoğan to crack. The third day of protests starts now...He can't start calling in the army (for one thing, they'll start defecting, and two, he can't shoot people in the streets, the troops won't do it and it'll just toughen the protesters' resolve), and he can't keep on keepin' on. He'll have to call elections or resign or do something. I can see this stage lasting maybe a week; past that point something has to give.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2013, 09:05:07 pm »

I wonder how long it'll take for Erdoğan to crack. The third day of protests starts now...He can't start calling in the army (for one thing, they'll start defecting, and two, he can't shoot people in the streets, the troops won't do it and it'll just toughen the protesters' resolve), and he can't keep on keepin' on. He'll have to call elections or resign or do something. I can see this stage lasting maybe a week; past that point something has to give.

I dunno, maybe some sharia law fundamentalist thugs will be bused in to hold 'counter protests' and the police will let them duke it out.

Probably not. I don't think protests are going to topple this government or cause any civil war. Over some trees in a park, really.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2013, 09:06:48 pm »

Honestly, while I'm hoping for the best, I've honestly given up expecting things to turn out well.

Like, ya know, Libya. Over through a Dictator, and then put up members of Islamic extremist groups as their new leaders. Or, Egypt, that now has a leader who has called for the destruction of Israel multiple times in the past.

Gaddafi and Mubarak were secular dictators. Monstrous people, but being secular meant Islamists were always going to try to get themselves into the opposition.

In this instance, the Islamists are already controlling the government and are the ones being protested against.
Probably not. I don't think protests are going to topple this government or cause any civil war. Over some trees in a park, really.
It isn't over the park. The crackdown on the park protest just set everyone off. Erdogan's abuses are many.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2013, 09:09:21 pm »

But it isn't over some trees in a park. That's what started it, but it isn't about the park any more than the Arab Spring was about a guy setting himself on fire. It's about Erdoğan's authoritarianism.

And it's really a damn shame, because Erdoğan has his head screwed on pretty straight economically and on most (hardly all) domestic policy. He's pretty power-hungry, and what he's ordered done to the protestors is some scary stuff, but he's competent, and I'm not entirely sure the same will be said for whoever takes his place. I'd love to see the protestors prove me wrong, though.

Edit: Dammit, MSH, stop ninja'ing me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:14:33 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2013, 09:12:33 pm »

Gaddafi and Mubarak were secular dictators. Monstrous people, but being secular meant Islamists were always going to try to get themselves into the opposition.

In this instance, the Islamists are already controlling the government and are the ones being protested against.

I hope it goes good, then. I'd hate to see Turkey get a worse tyrant than Erdogan.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2013, 09:17:52 pm »

But it isn't over some trees in a park. That's what started it, but it isn't about the park anymore than the Arab Spring was about a guy setting himself on fire. It's about Erdoğan's authoritarianism.

And it's really a damn shame, because Erdoğan has his head screwed on pretty straight economically. He's pretty power-hungry, and what he's ordered done to the protestors is some scary stuff, but he's competent, and I'm not entirely sure the same will be said for whoever takes his place. I'd love to see the protestors prove me wrong, though.

Edit: Dammit, MSH, stop ninja'ing me.

Yeah I know it's not about trees, but that's what people are going to refer back to. A guy setting himself on fire is expected to cause people to lose their shit and people will remember that, some trees in a park, well, that's not a very memorable spark.

I did hear about the problem with the trees in the park on the radio, before it kicked off major protests. The gov't wants to rebuild an historical military barracks that was once on the park site, and use that structure as a shopping mall. So it's not even as bad as if they were paving over some ancient patch of trees or something. It's part of their strategy for increasing tourism for the city or some such.

Although I understand this current government has been fairly unpopular with liberals since the day they took office, so idk.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32