Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with IDing syndrome clouds  (Read 832 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Help with IDing syndrome clouds
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:29:51 pm »

So. I'm in a relatively benign evil area... it SAID terrifying, but there's no reanimation, no evil grass, no zombies, no beak dogs, and the only weather effect is a cloud of "Devilish Ash." I'd like to know what it does, and since neither the wildlife nor the one hunter I locked outside have shown literally any symptoms after exposure, I'd like to see if I can extract the material's raws and see what's going on.

I have no idea how to do this. Explain it to me like I'm five.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with IDing syndrome clouds
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:25:49 am »

Firstly, back up your save. You then need to have the saves uncompressed (there is an option in the raws), and in one of those files you will have the cloud syndrome stuff - it will be to do with regional interactions. Uncompressed saves will have a lot of new files appearing.

Copy and paste the relative raw files here and I'll see what I can get out of them.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:33:46 am »

save compression option is actually in init.txt which is in the data\init folder not the raws

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:52:07 am »

locking your dwarves outside is pretty cruel.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:36:41 pm »

locking your dwarves outside is pretty cruel cool.

Fixed it.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:00:00 pm »

Woah, new replies.

So before I got replies, but after I posted, I did some research. Found two ways. One is the posted method, the other is a PHP script--and I have no idea how to PHP, so that's not happening.

As far as stuff goes... I have uncompressed saves always, I heard that compressed saves contribute to potential save corruption, and decided that it was worth it to have extra filesize. However.... world.dat is more than 500 MEGAbytes. I genned the world with tens of thousands of mega and semimegabeasts, maximum demons, night trolls, and weather types. The file is too huge to open with text editors, it just hangs. If I happen to have a php script, how exactly would I go about compiling and executing it? Like.... I don't even know why the script would be written in PHP of all things. It's a fucking WEBSCRIPT, it's not intended to be ran to do things locally. Seriously. If it was Python I would at least understand the logic there--not that I can use python any better but at least I would know, like, where to run the script from. Jesus grandma.

Also as far as locking guys outside.... well, it was a hunter. He was too focused on hunting the GOD DAMN POLAR BEAR that showed up, and so not only was he not super worth saving but I needed to science both what the cloud did and if we had zombies or reanimation at all. (Confirmed no reanimation, but since he didn't show ANY symptoms from the cloud, it made me worried. Hence, this topic.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:03:10 pm by laularukyrumo »
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 01:06:34 am »

I had that happen once, but I was less cautious about it.  Turned out to be a slowing acting necrosis.  I didn't realize what was happening until half of the fortress was dying.

Did you try opening the file with your browser?  They're "smarter" than a text editor, they might be able to read it more efficiently.  If you're on Windows, IE uses that kind of memory anyway, somehow.

Could also look up a file splitter.  Haven't used one in a long long time...  I used to use one in programming class in college for reading the logfiles my programs made before I realized I could use more than one logfile.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 05:49:08 am »

That's a great idea... however, I'm not getting anything out of it. Opening the file with any browser (I've tried Firefox and (ugh) IE so far) just causes it to ask me if I want to save it or open it... with some OTHER program. Asking it from within the prompt to open it with itself just causes recursion.

So... file splitter, you say....

EDIT: I tried something wacky... I made a copy of the file and renamed it to world.htm, tried to open THAT in browsers. Firefox and IE both hang when opening it, just like the text editors, but at least they sort of know what to do with it.

EDIT2: FUCK

I downloaded a text splitter... And when I tried to load world.sav into it, IT RAN OUT OF MEMORY. It explicitly said so. Fuck.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:17:17 am by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 02:34:34 pm »

locking your dwarves outside is pretty cruel cool.

Fixed it.

Outside is for elves. The outdoors is where I put my prison camps.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.