Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do those buttons on the barracks do? Also, military musings  (Read 1860 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I should know this, I really should... but I don't. On the Barracks, there are buttons for "Indiv. Eq." and "Squad Eq." What the HELL do those do?!

On related topic, I have noticed that chests are now a part of the barracks. Do they do anything?

That's it for the real topic, really. I also felt like waxing on this:
Through various fantasy RPG's, I have come to the conclusion that there are certain things that are cheating in a Fantasy setting. They are:

- Shields. Shields are the ultimate HAX! in a fantasy setting. You can't hit me, I win! I learned this the hard way in Dark Souls, and then applied in Skyrim to make the game boringly easy. Ever since then, I practically have a fetish for shields and give them to EVERY DWARF EVER.

- Spears. Pokey fun that pierces everything, with a range to keep all other weapons at bay. Once more, Dark Souls taught me that spears are an IWIN button. Dwarf Fortress seems to agree, as spears score a lot of kills very quickly.

- Crossbows. As deadly as a bow, with a lot less resources and training. Combine it with a shield (like in Chivalry, Dark Souls, Dwarf Fortress) and this is just silly effective

So it seems in a medieval Fantasy setting, the cheat is to not get hit. If you come with shields, spears and crossbows - that will be achieved. What do you think on that? Am I missing something?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do those buttons on the barracks do? Also, military musings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:27:28 pm »

For the whole spears sheilds thing see, SPARTAAAAAAAA!.

For the crossbows, they were at one time illegal in mideval europe because they were silent easy to use and the king was afraid to go outside.

Not sure about the barracks.

EDIT: I liek spaers for their pointyness and reach.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:30:20 pm by zubb2 »
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:09:35 pm »

The Indiv. Eq. and Squad Eq. buttons are used when you want your military dwarves to store their personal items (Indiv. Eq.) or arms and armor (Squad Eq.) in the barracks when not using them. This is only really useful if you don't assign them rooms with storage, though.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 01:31:14 pm »

The Indiv. Eq. and Squad Eq. buttons are used when you want your military dwarves to store their personal items (Indiv. Eq.) or arms and armor (Squad Eq.) in the barracks when not using them. This is only really useful if you don't assign them rooms with storage, though.

I was hoping that was the case. Oooooooooh the possibilities this opens :D
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 05:58:21 pm »

That's it for the real topic, really. I also felt like waxing on this:
Through various fantasy RPG's, I have come to the conclusion that there are certain things that are cheating in a Fantasy setting. They are:

- Shields. Shields are the ultimate HAX! in a fantasy setting. You can't hit me, I win! I learned this the hard way in Dark Souls, and then applied in Skyrim to make the game boringly easy. Ever since then, I practically have a fetish for shields and give them to EVERY DWARF EVER.

- Spears. Pokey fun that pierces everything, with a range to keep all other weapons at bay. Once more, Dark Souls taught me that spears are an IWIN button. Dwarf Fortress seems to agree, as spears score a lot of kills very quickly.

- Crossbows. As deadly as a bow, with a lot less resources and training. Combine it with a shield (like in Chivalry, Dark Souls, Dwarf Fortress) and this is just silly effective

So it seems in a medieval Fantasy setting, the cheat is to not get hit. If you come with shields, spears and crossbows - that will be achieved. What do you think on that? Am I missing something?

Only thing you're missing is that these things exist at all in the first place because at some point in the past they were, effectively, hax. There is literally not better defense against an attack than to make sure the attack can't happen in the first place. Even modern military technology is based on those lines. B-52: "you can't reach me!" F-117: "you can't see me!" M1 Abrams: "even if you hit me, it won't hurt." And one of my favorites, B-17: "you can hit us, but we can hit you a freaking lot more."

For the crossbows, they were at one time illegal in mideval europe because they were silent easy to use and the king was afraid to go outside.

Yes, yes, that pansy King of Europe. What was his name again?
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 06:05:46 pm »

Only thing you're missing is that these things exist at all in the first place because at some point in the past they were, effectively, hax. There is literally not better defense against an attack than to make sure the attack can't happen in the first place. Even modern military technology is based on those lines. B-52: "you can't reach me!" F-117: "you can't see me!" M1 Abrams: "even if you hit me, it won't hurt." And one of my favorites, B-17: "you can hit us, but we can hit you a freaking lot more."
Lets not forget the F-22, "You don't even know I'm here until you're dead," along with, "I can see you from any angle before I'm even in missile range"

All hail the spear. It was the primary weapon of so many (for a long time) armies for a good reason. Cheap to make, effective against cavalry, and effective at keeping people at spear-length distances.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:03:36 pm »

Spears are good, but it's still useful to have a variety of weapons for different targets. Blunt attacks are especially good against undead. For the shields: yes, they are amazing. Wood shields can block dragonfire, although you want heavy shields for bashing things. Crossbows might be two-handed, so shields would not be carry able with them.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:27:17 pm »

Yes, yes, that pansy King of Europe. What was his name again?

I believe it was a Pope, i forget which one. Sixtus or something. He banned the use of crossbows against other catholics in warfare because apparently that's just not fair.

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 10:16:29 pm »

It wasn't just that they were deadly, the people of the time realized crossbows didn't take as much training to be effective as every other weapon.  With any melee weapon contest, the guy who spent his life honing his skill would have a huge advantage, mitigated only by a poor weapon match-up.  With bows, slings, javelins, etc- it took a lot of practice to hit things reliably and quickly.

With a crossbow, it shoots whatever you point it at nearly the same way every time.  The shots are faster and don't arc as much, so they're easier to use.  Any random chump with a crossbow could you kill you dead, easily, just by pointing and pulling the trigger, no matter how good you are or how expensive your armor is.  Nowadays, crossbows are usually subject to many of the same laws that guns are.

Most medieval games balance them by having "early" crossbows that do less damage or are slower to reload, I think.  Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have them do very poor damage compared to traditional bows, plus for some reason they don't work except with lock-on.  Dwarfs obviously have more advanced crossbows, since a legendary marksdwarf uses it like a semi-auto pistol...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have them do very poor damage compared to traditional bows, plus for some reason they don't work except with lock-on.
Dark Souls works without a lockon, but then you blind-fire at whatever you were facing before.  Interesting point, you could equip a bow, precision aim it, NOT turn the character at all, equip a crossbow, and it'll fire EXACTLY where you had precision aimed.  Also works with spells, which is why it's fun to throw zeus's thunder at enemies who think they're lying in wait...

That aside, yes.  Early crossbow outlaws were identical to modern gun control.  The issue of "anyone can kill anyone with this" became a big deal to a culture where death in battle only ever happened because you were outmatched.  When it became an issue of randomly getting hit by a crossbow, the 'warrior's death' stopped existing because death in battle, and battle itself, became a crapshoot.

Also shields are OP.  They're meant to be OP.  This is working as intended.