Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems With Brought Stone  (Read 1096 times)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Problems With Brought Stone
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:28:10 pm »

Urist McNewbie Reporting!

So I just embarked with 25 obsidian stones with the purpose in mind of making some higher quality magma safe workshops and trade dedpot, and my dwarves will not do anything of the sort with it. I can't make workshops from it, I can't make blocks from it, I can't make the depot.  I tested making the stone short sword and my dwarf is doing that as I type so apparently the pathing is fine and it is a recognized object but I can't seem to do anything else. I tried forcing them to use it with the materials binding in dfhack and I get the following error.
Job item 0 requirements not satisfied by obsidian

Is this some sort of bug or am I just missing something? Thank you in advance!

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems With Brought Stone
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:38:09 pm »

Are you sure obsidian is enabled in z-stone?

I think it's enabled by default, but you better check.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:42:23 pm »

You sir are both a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you for informing me of my obvious oversight! Problem solved : )

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:34:15 am »

Are you sure obsidian is enabled in z-stone?

I think it's enabled by default, but you better check.

i don't think it is enabled by default. it's considered economic, because you can use it for swords (and no other stone works for that) i think.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:50:55 am »

It'll be enabled if it's a layer in your embark. Good way of checking for flux without external utilities -- if upon embarking any of the flux types are green in the Stones menu, you have that flux stone as a layer. The exception is calcite, since it's a large cluster, but the only stone it's found in is flux stone.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:59:34 am »

It'll be enabled if it's a layer in your embark. Good way of checking for flux without external utilities -- if upon embarking any of the flux types are green in the Stones menu, you have that flux stone as a layer. The exception is calcite, since it's a large cluster, but the only stone it's found in is flux stone.

That's genius, and a bug :P You should mention it on http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 01:03:26 pm »

I didn't know it. I thought there was some logic like "This stones you would probably won't mind being used by mason"
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 04:11:03 pm »

That's genius, and a bug :P
I thought it was a feature? It's been around since at least 40d, though I'll admit that's not necessarily an indicator (see the bug on crystal glass jobs being orderable only from the manager).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.