Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proposal for a quick fix to demonstrations.  (Read 415 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Proposal for a quick fix to demonstrations.
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:52:58 pm »

While demonstrations are great to bring recruits up to speed, they are a massive waste of time when done by the wrong Dwarf for the wrong skill. This is especially a problem when instructors gain a bit of striking, kicking and wrestling from sparring, then go ahead and try to teach that while still dabbling in it themselves.

My proposed fix is that there should be no demonstration unless the instructor is at or above a certain skill level, say competent.
I think the right way to do this is more complex, taking into account both the skill of teacher and student, so that there won't be demonstration if they are too close, but I even just a minimum skill level for demonstration should stop squads from wasting so much time.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal for a quick fix to demonstrations.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:25:58 pm »

Awesome idea! It should really go in Suggestions, though, because that's where all the proposed additions to vanilla DF go.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.