Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My first fortress  (Read 4846 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: My first fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »

1 still easily accomodates 20 to 30 dwarves, give or take, depending on the skill of the brewer.

If your brewers suck, you may need 4 or so. (This is strongly dependent on how fast you need to make booze. Say, the RNG drops migrants of doom on you, and you go from 7 to 60 dwarves "instantly". You are going to need booze, and fast. 4 stills going full tilt will resolve the alcohol emergency quickly, but 2 to 3 of them should be removed soon after.)

Dwarves do not eat seeds unless they are cooked. Never cook seeds. It's wasteful.

To brew, you need:

1 item to brew
1 storage container (pot or barrel)
1 still
1 brewer.

Most booze is made from plant items, like plump helmet, strawberry, prickleberry, ropereed, etc.
Brewing takes 1 plant, produces a brewer level dependent qantity of booze in a barrel/pot, and 5 seeds from the plant used.

(Other kinds of booze can be made from other materials, like honey. As a novice, I suggest staying away from the very buggy bee keeping system. It's full of headache, even for experienced players.)

Make sure the plants are enabled for brewing in the kitchens submenu of the (z) stocks menu. Brewers will ONLY brew plants that are enabled for brewing. Same thing for cooking. The first thing I do before starting cooking is set restrictions to better manage food production.

Dwarves have personal preferences for booze, but this just affects the happiness boost they get from the drink. They don't specifically need that kind of drink. Dwarven wine (plump helmet ingredient) will solve their alcoholism needs fine, but the do like a little variety.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:41:38 pm by wierd »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 03:00:30 am »

1 still easily accomodates 20 to 30 dwarves, give or take, depending on the skill of the brewer.

While this is correct for early forts, an optimised still (short paths to both plant and barrel stockpile, large stacks and highly-skilled brewers) can provide enough drink for 200 dwarfs and more. Building extra stills is the proper way to handle acute booze crises, but in the longer term, improving the efficiency of stills is very worthwile.

Brewing takes 1 plant, produces a brewer level dependent qantity of booze in a barrel/pot, and 5 seeds from the plant used.

Minor correction: brewing takes a stack of plants ("Plump helmet" is a single-mushroom stack, "rope reed [4]" is a stack of four plants) and produces 5 units of alcohol per plant in the stack, giving 1-2 seeds for every plant. With the example stacks, that'd be "Dwarven wine [5]" and 1-2 plump helmet spawns, and "River spirits [20]" and 4-8 rope reed seeds. The only known effect of brewer skill is the work speed - experienced brewers need less time to finish a batch.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 04:23:15 am »

I dont understand the food/beer production.
I dobt know how much stills i need an how much beer i should store. And do dwarfs eat seats?

Still takes a brewable plant and a barrel or waterproof large pot ( wood, glass and rock pots are waterproof, some clay pots aren't and need glazing ). Then the brewer makes the alcohol and the barrel get moved to any food stockpile that allow it's kind of drink and have barrel setting high enough. One brewable plant makes 5 booze, dwarves drinks four times a season and eats twice a season.

I only need one still to run decently sized fortress ( 100+ dwarves ) when the barrel and brewable plant stockpile are next to the still, probably can run 200+ with one still on constant churn and a couple brewers taking turns.

Seeds aren't eaten unless it's cooked ( I've heard about rock nuts being eaten, but it's not happened to me ) and normally cooking is disabled on the seeds, you can check with z-kitchen, red is 'do not cook/brew' and blue is allowing them.

Meats are edible by it's nature, organ meats too. Some plants are edible raw ( plump helmet is one of them ), but some need to be processed ( quarry bush and cave wheat comes to mind, latter by milling at quern and former by processing plant into bag at farmer's workshop ) and cooked. Cooking the plant themselves gives no seed and isn't recommended. Some aren't edible in any form ( Dimple cup, only good for dye ).

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 05:12:35 am »

Rock nuts ought to be edible raw, but aren't. I don't know if it is a bug or just not implemented yet.
Dimple cup spawns can be cooked. I ususally have an abundance of all seeds later in the game and allow all of them for cooking.

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 06:14:16 am »

Even with 246964 tutorials this game is hard! I dont really understand this Section in the newbie tutorial in wich the outside farmplot is made. I dont have a good idea to build it safe.

Second: a horse and a donkey starved to death. So i build a animal zone (i - n - N). Is that allright?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 06:27:17 am »

If the grazing zone is big enough and has grass and you have added the animal to the zone, it should be fine.

Just keep an eye on it, some grazers need lots of grass an can eat all the grass pretty fast.
You can make underground grazing zones later, once you have breached a cavern with plants, and cave moss and such have covered your soil ground.

I make outside farms usually by channeling out a small area, which isn't to far away from my underground farms. Than I build a floor over it, remove the ramps and connect it underground with my farming area.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:33:07 am by Laurin »

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 08:33:21 am »

z-->animals brings up the screen where you can mark your animals for butchering.  It is always more useful to immediately butcher grazers. You will need to (b)uild --> (w)orkshop --> (b)utcher and ta(n)ner. 

You Probably want to (b)uild a (D)epot outside presently.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:02:54 am by edgefigaro »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:27 am »

z-->animals brings up the screen where you can mark your animals for butchering.  It is always more useful to immediately butcher grazers. You will need to uild --> (w)orkshop --> utcher and ta<n>ner. 

You Probably want to uild a <D>epot outside presently.
>

Might wanna skip putting the <> around b, it makes things go bold because of post formatting :D

I think () and {} works and doesn't triggers formatting, square braces triggers it though.

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 10:07:39 am »

Thanks for all the help. Really nice.

But, this game is way to fast for me. :D. New migrants, now there are 19dwarfs in my fortress. But brewing Works! It makes me happy. But with every solved problem, there are five new ones.

1. My hunter needs ammunition. So my craftdwarf is making wooden ones. Thanks wiki.

2. How can i rape those gray langurs with my axe?

3. I dont have a broker?!

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 10:51:17 am »

Prolly need a couple of tags here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 11:19:34 am »

1. You can only make ammo out of three 'types' of material, wood, bone, or any metal, so wood is fine at an early stage.

2. If you have your stockpiles inside already, the langurs shouldn't bother you too much, not sure if they'll try to steal corpses or refuse though. As for attacking them, I'd say let your hunter handlle it as the military is something complex to get into.

3. Go to [n] and move the cursor highlight to the broker position and assign some dwarf to that position. Don't forget the manager and bookkeeper positions too and might want to use the same dwarf for all. I always assign the manager, bookkeeper, and broker positions to the expedition leader since I allocate related skills to the chosen dwarf on embark prep. He'll/she'll need a very basic office, so just manufacture a chair (called a throne in DF) and a table, stick them in the corner or in the hallway or wherever and use [q] (I think) to open up the building options for the chair or table, make the room down to 3x3 size and assign it to your broker+manager+bookkeeper.

To get them to start working on stocks, go to [n], highlight the bookkeeper position, press and just select highest precision.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 11:42:17 am »

1. You can only make ammo out of three 'types' of material, wood, bone, or any metal, so wood is fine at an early stage.

2. If you have your stockpiles inside already, the langurs shouldn't bother you too much, not sure if they'll try to steal corpses or refuse though. As for attacking them, I'd say let your hunter handlle it as the military is something complex to get into.

3. Go to [n] and move the cursor highlight to the broker position and assign some dwarf to that position. Don't forget the manager and bookkeeper positions too and might want to use the same dwarf for all. I always assign the manager, bookkeeper, and broker positions to the expedition leader since I allocate related skills to the chosen dwarf on embark prep. He'll/she'll need a very basic office, so just manufacture a chair (called a throne in DF) and a table, stick them in the corner or in the hallway or wherever and use [q] (I think) to open up the building options for the chair or table, make the room down to 3x3 size and assign it to your broker+manager+bookkeeper.

To get them to start working on stocks, go to [n], highlight the bookkeeper position, press (s) and just select highest precision.

(Sorry, had to fix the s in braces, it was slashing through )

To add to above, bolts are better in bones than wood, but both will works for hunter, metal are overkill IMO. It's easier to deal with most wildlives with multiple hunters if you have the quivers and crossbows than military, they'll work together, somewhat. Item stealers won't take corpses and refuses ( I think those have no Dwarfbux value ), but anything with value is fair game.

The throne one is for rock and metal, wooden chair is called chair.

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 04:29:21 pm »

Wtf am i doing wrong. Kobold thiefs in my fortress. What should i do first?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 04:48:35 pm »

But, this game is way to fast for me. :D

If you want to slow down the game, you can lower the FPS cap by editing the init.txt file in Your DF Folder\data\init. Look for the line that says [FPS_CAP:100] and change 100 to, say, 50.

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 06:31:14 pm »

Im totaly overextended. 20 new migrants, wtf?! And wenn i want to assign beds, there are two dwarfs assigned to the bed.

I started to sort my dwarfs with dwarf therapist.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4