Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My first fortress  (Read 4848 times)

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first fortress
« on: May 28, 2013, 05:08:10 pm »

Hello, im new to DF und watched a few LP, Tutorials, guides.

I digged few rooms, built carpenter, still, farm and mason and stockpiles for food, stone, furniture and refuse. Also i have a meeting area.

I have very much siltstone in my fortress, so i "q" over mason, "a", construct blocks "b". I dont want the siltstone laying around everywhere, and blocks can be stacked or? i made a custom stockpile an only enabled BLOCKS, i want siltstone BLOCKS, but they put this fuckin siltstone there!

next i need barrels for the still, i started digging rooms and made some beds from wood.

Can you help me with the mason problem?

Greetings

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:20:02 pm »

Blocks can be placed in bins, BUT each stone makes 4 blocks, and bins only hold 5 blocks... so for stone management, blocks are not so great (they're still great for big construction projects, since they're lighter and give a bonus to building speed).  If you don't want to make a quantum stockpile with the dump zone, I suggest stone crafts or jugs (both made at a craftsdwarf workshop with the stonecrafting labor).  Personally, I prefer jugs, since quarry bushes are my favorite crop and I always have extra rock nuts to pressing oil.  I'm pretty sure for jugs, it's 1 jug per stone, but you can stack 20 jugs in a single bin.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:21:39 pm by VerdantSF »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:50:57 pm »

You should probably stop making barrels out of wood and start making rock pots instead, it's a whole deal more cheaper to do. Uses up that siltstone too!

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 01:08:30 am »

Also, blocks are stored on special stockpiles, not stone stockpiles. "q" over a stockpile and enable "blocks and bars" to store blocks. You also should set the numer of barrels to max on that stockpile because blocks can be stored in barrels.

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:44:09 pm »

Hello. I have started a new game and now there is a little problem. When i scroll, the camera moves only in the area which is shown on the minimap. Arrow keys or shift arrow makes no difference. I cant scroll out of this border.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 03:49:03 pm »

Hello. I have started a new game and now there is a little problem. When i scroll, the camera moves only in the area which is shown on the minimap. Arrow keys or shift arrow makes no difference. I cant scroll out of this border.
Which screen are you talking about?

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »

The main screen, where my dwarfs are working. With minimap i mean the map you can see when you press tab. Thats the "radius" i can play/scroll/look.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 04:12:48 pm »

The main screen, where my dwarfs are working. With minimap i mean the map you can see when you press tab. Thats the "radius" i can play/scroll/look.
That's intentional. The embark size you pick before embarking will determine how much map you get to play with. This is to avoid computer-killing memory overloads.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 05:06:40 pm »

If your biggest problem is siltstone getting everywhere, turning it all into blocks is only marginal benefit.  Running a Quantum Stockpiler will clean your fortress up more effectively.  I balked at the idea at first myself, but then, loose stone happened.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 04:47:42 am »

That's intentional. The embark size you pick before embarking will determine how much map you get to play with. This is to avoid computer-killing memory overloads.

Now i think im just really stupid :D. So when i create a new world and choose my embark location, i can resize the area i play in? Is this this umkh thing? But i love this position :,(.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 04:51:05 am »

Now i think im just really stupid :D. So when i create a new world and choose my embark location, i can resize the area i play in? Is this this umkh thing? But i love this position :,(.

Yeah, you can resize embark area, but only if you're not reclaiming fortresses. Be warned, bigger embarks makes your computer work a lot harder, and takes up more memory. I pretty much sticks to 2x2 because of FPS and memory issue. You could regen the world  if you found a spot you like and want bigger area to embark and build on, though I'm not familiar with how to do that.

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 03:41:10 pm »

I know that this thread is really boring. I am still very new to df. With my actual fortress i will learn the basics till the fortress Becomes extinct.

With the next, i will write a little story, because my english is very bad.

13 new dwarfs arrived at my actual fortress. And i dont even have rooms. I only made a floor and then they arrived! How do i delete stairs right? I tried d-z and channeling like in the wiki. Its not what i wanted. How do i remove them so it looks like i never built a stairway at that point?

Good night.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 03:53:12 pm »

(b)uild --> (C)onstruction will give you a menu that allow you to build walls/floors/stairs/ramps.

Haifizch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 06:18:36 pm »

I dont understand the food/beer production.
I dobt know how much stills i need an how much beer i should store. And do dwarfs eat seats?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 06:34:10 pm »

Dwarves can cook with seeds (That's what you meant by "seats," right?), but it isn't allowed by default. I wouldn't recommend changing that for a first fortress.

I wouldn't worry about maintaining a fixed booze reserve. Just put "brew drink" on repeat and try not to run out of barrels. Eventually the still will clutter up and the work speed will slow down until a point of equilibrium with demand is reached.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4