Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47

Author Topic: Adventuring Party, Act 1: A Tale Of Two Hamlets  (Read 37598 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Adventuring Party, Act 1: A Tale Of Two Hamlets
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2014, 11:44:51 pm »

Daethwin's eyes shifted strangely, changing color as he uttered his spell, something alien and disturbing shining through for a moment.
"Down, Boy."
And then he sang swiftly, the words almost, but not quite, blended together in his haste.
"And lo, see how; The angel is brought low; By the honorless blow of the wicked man's gun; And hey, see now; The heretic brought down; With a thundering roar and a hedonist's fun."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:46:42 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 09, 2014, 12:08:12 am »

The earth elemental looked first to Thales, not quite understanding half of what he said but enough that it wasn't probably the most diplomatic. Something about casting their kind into a fire? That's... That's not diplomatic. The elves didn't take it well, as to be expected, and Jewel even contemplated reaching towards his weapons before they calmed themselves down.

While happy that the angel didn't upset them too much, he can't say he was happier with their news, which was thankfully much, much easier to understand. Children slaves? Tribute? War? No honor?! The earth elemental can't say this didn't upset him, but the earthen man tried not to let it show.

Jewel's mouth opened momentarily to say something before Daeth spoke, the elemental stopping to let the more well spoken member of their group speak. Sadly, things did not improve. Then all of the sudden the human bard sang something and then he couldn't hear Thales anymore. Blasted magic trickery, but the elemental can't say that it wasn't warranted in some aspect.

There was a swift silence as Jewel watched Daeth curiously, his flesh-lips moving and directed to Thales, across from him, yet no sound was coming out. Strange, more magic perha--

A loud clank and a softer thud was followed by a faint tinkling of stone tags knocking against plate. The elemental stood up faster than his armor would let one assume, shoving one hand at Thales and then another at Daeth on instinct, going to prevent the two from getting past him and at the other. His gravely voice barked out loudly, the loudest anyone has actually heard him speak so far.

"STOP."

"We ally--No fight--No anger." The words tumbled together as the earth elemental tried to remain wedged between the two.

Turning to the angel first, the elemental spoke dwarven as he tried to calm him down. "Thales, please don't, why is there fighting? We're allies, no fighting within the clan! If you want to hit someone, hit me! Not the human!"

Then the human, in Tradespeak this time. "No fight. No magic."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:20:04 am by Xanmyral »

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 09, 2014, 12:35:10 am »

[2]
Pre-elemental
Oh fuck everyones trying to kill everyone I was right oh god damn fuck no DEATH
Post-elemental
No fighting. Good. Nice.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 26, 2014, 04:18:16 pm »

The response to the sudden commotion among the guests was a matter of some argument by the assorted elves, whose conversation ran along the lines of "See, this is what happens when you let non-elves run things", "How rude!", and sudden tension on the part of the guards, followed by a minute amount of relaxation as Jewel got between the two.

Whatever conversation would have followed was quite lost when a tall and slender elf of a distinct golden hue entered the tent, his glow illuminating the inside with sharp shadows.

"My lords, I-"

The sun elf took a moment to process the scene and then said "Guards, kill them at once!"

"Stop."

After a brief confusion, the assorted guards stepped back, one of them heavily leaning on his spear to cover his fumble.

"Very well, then."

He drew a short sword of some clear crystal and held it as though he knew how to use it, advancing.

"Do you, perhaps, not understand the word stop? And further, do you intend to harm our guests?"

"On the contrary. More than intend, I plan to kill them, and will indeed do so when the conversation is over. Politely."

The last was added a half-second late. Still, he had stopped.

"Have you some conflict with our guests?"

"I would quite imagine that by declaring my intent - no, my plan - to kill them has caused them some degree of anticipation for satisfaction. But they are not guests, as they have not eaten or drank."

"I declare them guests."

"Very well, then; I will kill them to-morrow. My fellow heretic, attend if you would be so kind: you posit the existence of Arnum as the one true God, do you not?"

Given the obvious "duh" and/or flowery reply, the verbose and long-winded sun elf would wait and then continue.

"It would please me if you condescend to hear my theory. While there is, indeed, only one true God (which should be manifestly obvious to any rational being), is it not true that as the All-Powerful, He could grant some degree of his own divinity - (for as you know, divinity is a form of power, as is magic, from which all flows from him) to His most faithful servants?"

A breath, or an elegant pause? Either, although it was somewhat condescending.

"More than hypothesizing, I believe it to be true: that certain of the other gods are, by grace of Arnum, demi-gods of sorts. Mingan for having harnessed the power Arnum gave him in a new manner as an apprentice, and Malu, as a reward for a lifetime of service as a mechanic. The other so-called gods are merely crude playthings that the Worthy Servants wrought for amusement, much as children imitate the works of their parents."

At this point, two thoughts clearly not of his own origin would enter Thales's mind, both in the same divine tone he was rather familiar with:

This belief pleases me, and you may permit yourself to consider it if you desire.

I DEMAND SACRIFICE OF THE BLASPHEMER, CHALLENGE HIM AND GIVE HIS LIFE TO ME!

Regardless of these contrary thoughts and his own, his sense would determine that the loquacious elf was assured of the truth of his statement.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 26, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »

Thales raised his hand towards the sky as he responded to the clearly singular and not at all contradictory divine message.
Your will be done, O Lord! Grant me the strength to force this heretic, this blasphemer, this false prophet, to face Your glory!

Thales brushed Jewel aside and stepped forward. His massive, shining blade, its wavering ray the symbol of Arnum's Light, hung loosely in his hand. He took note of his target, his armaments, his look, and his position. His spectacular, shining steel wings spread, and all at once, he soared upwards into the sky. He would gain altitude, ascending far above to consort with high-flying desert eagles. Then he would, when the time was right, sight his target in his keen eye and break into a plummeting, angled dive, sword raised high above his right shoulder and carrying the full momentum of his terminal velocity straight through this elven sun demon in a vicious and unstoppable diagonal slash.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 26, 2014, 06:35:39 pm »

Daethwin paused, face-palming again when he realized this elf was as bad as Thales. Oh wait, no, that was wrong; now Thales was being righteous again. And now he was carrying the tent up with him. As he rose and there was a pause, Daethwin sighed and turned to the elves. "So, I see you have experience with people of this nature. Although yours seems a bit tamer. My apologies for this, and while I would try to stop him, it's going to be easier just to let the idiot get himself killed. We won't be bringing him with us on future trips, should there be any. Plus...excuse me, what's your name again? Ah, well [insert name here] did say he wants to kill us, though I do appreciate him being polite about it, unlike the currently diving member of our party."

He seemed rather strangely calm about it all, but really it was just resignation; indeed, his words were very flat compared to his normally animated speech.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #516 on: March 26, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »

Relieved that Jewel was able to move between the two crewmembers quickly, Rurail has been more focused on their hosts and their collective reaction.
Particularly the incandescent one.
At this point he has one of his feet planted underneath himself, his halberd in his grip on the floor, and is ready to parry & poke at the elves in-front of the party if his group needs to retreat.

He's not sure where the hell the angel went, and frankly isn't counting on him coming back.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 26, 2014, 11:21:33 pm »

Jewel was making sure Thales wasn't hurt from his impact into the elemental. Jewel knows how fragile the fleshy are at times, his experiences with such often of the regrettable and accidental nature. He hopes this doesn't become another accident to rememb--

The earth elemental was shocked out of his introspection at the announcement of "guards kill," the stone man immediately looking up at the source. He was put at ease by the announcement to stop, then uneasy again at the strange feather-boned elf drawing a crystal short sword.

Stone was something the elemental knew however, quite well, and his experiences snapped to mind. The crystal was either of a strange and unusual nature, allowing it greater durability and penetration, enchanted, the prior two, or a statement of the lack of popularity in heavier, interlocking armor in desert regions. The earth elemental tried to see if he could recognize the crystal type.

Regardless, no matter its status, it was a threat to the lesser protected members of Jewel's group. Turning his focus from the elf's strange weapon to the elf himself, the man seemed to talk in a similar nature as Thales, much to the poor earthen man's dismay, having trouble keeping up with what he was saying. He managed the beginning well enough, but there were more unsure words than not after that.

Jewel barely noticed Thales pass him as he still tried to puzzle through what the strange elf said, and when he did it was too late, the angel having taken off in a direction Jewel couldn't catch him: up. He looked like he was about to say something once, paused, then for a second time before sighing and pinching the bridge of his nose. A human gesture he picked up a while ago.

Jewel walked back over to the others of the group, staying closest to Rurail, and removed his war mask from his belt, looking it over. A thick, slightly curved slab of metal bedecked in dwarven runes, featureless beyond a wide, singular slit to peer out from. The earth elemental slowly and methodically attached it to his helmet.

Almost as soon as he clasped the mask on, he wretched it off and looked at the strange crystal weapon again, finally realizing why the material seemed so familiar. He almost couldn't believe it.

All traces of his prior frustration melted away into an almost child-like sense of wonder and excitement at the weapon. In his hurry, while his speech was in Trade Speak, the name of the material was in Dwarven. [#stuff# == dwarven] "#Orichalcum-Glass?# You sword #Orichalcum-Glass?#" The question was largely rhetorical, as soon the flood came.

"Where get? Who make? Buy merchant? Buy smith? Where person? Found?" It was evident at this point that the earth elemental had forgotten about the entire situation, momentarily at least. He soon looked embarrassed at his outburst and apologized sheepishly.

"Regret."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:10:51 pm by Xanmyral »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 31, 2014, 02:32:23 pm »

"Yes. Secret, my dear."

"Allow me to be the first to suggest we relocate before fanaticism leads to mass death, shall we?" The elders rose at once and left the ruined tent, assuming that the others would follow. Emir would continue to speak, adding, "This is obviously a matter between the elf and the angel and a question of faith. We shall remain apart provided you do."

"Do so. We have tomorrow to settle our affairs."

Presumably, they went outside.

Meanwhile, FIGHTING STABBY KILL TIME!

The sun elf would murmur/chant something sufficiently magical, and his glow would increase from "dim paper lamp" to "bright spotlight in your eyes when you were asleep a second ago." This, of course, would make it simultaneously easier and more difficult for Thales to spot the target. The chanting ended as gleams and flashes of metal shot through the sky as Thales came in ballistic, body poised to remove several irritating inches from the top of Mr. Sunshine's head.

The elf waited... waited... NOW!

A quick side-step and the elf raised his left hand towards Thales, who was heartbeats away and already swinging. As the hand lit up with a golden-platinum light, the angelborn's shimmering sword whistled through the air and neatly removed the offending limb very nearly at the elbow.

[Oh god he rolled a natural 1]

At this point, hilarity ensued. Because the spell had already been cast, removing the part of the body that was casting it served only to remove control of the spell, which promptly went right off with a sound like a cannon going off. If anyone was watching (presumably, with a slow-motion camera) they'd see a single spark-mote casually drift into the sky, immediately followed by dual lightning strikes aimed at two targets: Mr. Sunshine, and Mr. Wearing A Big Metal Suit.

ka-BOOOM!

"What the hell was that!?"

"Magic."

The new voice came from behind Red, who moved to reveal a small dark elf. As in, barely three feet with shoes and a fudge factor of two or three inches, dressed in vibrant blue, down to the faded blue wood and stone beads in his hair. From the way he moved, though, it was evident that his height was measured as "the distance from my head to the clouds" as opposed to "the distance from my feet to my head."

"Wild Magic. Or possibly Free Magic. We should go examine the aftermath."

Without waiting, the Blue Clan elder lead the way, staff making a strange noise as it drove into the sand.

Back at the site of the fight, it reeked of ozone and burned flesh. The remaining bits of cloth on the sun elf were cheerfully burning as he twitched slightly, bits of magic-enhanced lightning occasionally arcing and crackling. It was pure motor reflex - one doesn't get their arm cut off and then hit by lightning and survive.

As far as getting hit by a magical bolt of lightning? Survivable, if you're a tough son-of-a-bitch, and the angel known to all as "Oh gods it's HIM" and/or "Thales" was both tough and a stubborn son-of-a-bitch. Granted, he was enclosed in some fused and very hot armor, laying in a furrow in the ground, hairless, sand all up under his feathers, and slightly on fire, but he was alive. Barely conscious, not very capable of motion, rather uncomfortable from having been hit by lightning while ramming the ground at RAGEMURDER speeds, but, most of all: self-righteously smug and expecting that he'll get the healing and praise due to him for having DESTROYED THE HERETIC!

The Blue Elder would approach, tilt his head to the side, and listen.

"Visitors, I have good news for you. And us. One of those fucking sun elves is dead. Your..."

You could see him hesitating. Obviously Thales wasn't a "friend" so much as a "load", but given what had happened...

"...erm, travel companion is only mostly dead."

He went over to the sun elf remains, cheerfully kicked the head a few times, then pulled the crystal blade out from underneath the body (followed immediately by another kick) and offered it to Jewel, hilt-first.

"Elemental friend, I believe you were inquiring as to this weapon's origins? Very well, I shall tell you at once: hundreds of meters below the earth are vast and deep mines. Silver. Orichalcum. There is even a lake of oil. Before this... conflict, we lived in peace with the hyu-mans until the sun elves came, with their treachery. Among us. Among the hyu-mans. Spreading tales of atrocities and speaking of natural rights."

Gasps of disapproving shock.

"It is not your place to speak of such things."

"I am the Blue Clan and I am the Melech. It is not your place to tell me what the Melech can and cannot do, Amirpanj."

"What is your solution, father?"

"Hire the adventurers, naturally, to kill the sun elves. Kill them all. And when they are dead, the adventurers will find the hyu-man elders. Bring us under a peace tent."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 31, 2014, 02:42:41 pm »

Thales shakily raised a metal fist, straining against pain and fused metallic joints, his dented wings twitching.

Death...to..Gah! heretics.

He then promptly collapsed back onto the sand.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #520 on: March 31, 2014, 02:56:15 pm »

Rurail, completely clueless and confused, just quietly proceeds to go help retrieve Thales from his oven-suit once it becomes clear they're no longer in imminent danger.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 31, 2014, 08:00:05 pm »

Daethwin observed the scene that unfolded, and for the first time, didn't feel the need to facepalm. This was an acceptable outcome. But, he should probably heal the bloody angel. Enough to make sure he didn't die, at least. That would help. First he needed to cool down the armor, hopefully in a way that didn't ruin it...a Transmuter would be nice here, since they could just turn the heat directly into healing magic. But, he'd have to do something else.

"I think I might speak for all of us when I say that such a solution would likely be the most optimal one for everyone involved, save the sun elves. Besides...I have had personal experience with some of them, recently, and would like to make my own impression upon them much as they did upon me."

The bard tilts his head slightly to reveal the damage done, even if it was healed somewhat.

"Now I believe I will go try to keep our 'travel companion', as you most aptly put it, from being completely dead, as much as it may be that I might regret doing so in the future, and indeed expect to. However, as is made abundantly clear by this incident, he does have some use."

Then the bard walked over to Thales and bent down to him. He spoke softly, indeed gently, to the angelborn, a curious mixture of frustration, awe, understanding, and a certain amount of exasperation in his face. "That was stupid. I heard your god's voice speaking to you, and that makes me believe that you are indeed very special, as does your surviving this incident. But remember that Arnum is not the god of reckless behavior. That was reckless behavior. I also heard another voice, and that voice was most definitely not from Arnum. I tell you this with the utmost sincerity, and you can probably tell I'm not lying if you are this blessed by the Knowing One. That voice provoked you to such rash action, did it not? Anyway, doesn't matter now, since that was sorta the right course of action to take. Would've preferred if you waited so we could find out more about our foe first, so maybe I wouldn't be needing to heal you right now, and I think that would be a more fitting way to fight for someone who's devoted their life to the God of Knowledge. On the other hand...you are one tough bastard, and I am impressed you're alive right now. So I'm not going to let you die, even though that would probably be easier on all of us. Since this probably won't have knocked any sense into you, let me try it instead: next time you try a stunt like this, or try to kill one of your own team for trying to prevent you from getting us all killed? I will personally take you out, and deliver you to Arnum myself if necessary, because your pride does not come above the needs of the group. Ever. That being said...good job, Thales. I'd say you managed to make Arnum proud today, if only by surviving."

The words seemed to have a melody in them, and the carefully given scolding, wrapped in words of encouragement, had magic within them to soothe both the crusader's likely rage at being scolded(rage and severe injury rarely mix well, for one thing), and his wounds. Once he was done, Daethwin began to hum, and the desert seemed to hum with him, the background sounds of the encampment somehow becoming part of a peaceful, joyful song, with a dash of triumphant glory thrown in to suit Thales' ear. The song would not heal the Angelborn fully, rather it would mend the worst of his wounds and greatly speed up the likely already fast recovery process, whilst some of the undertones were designed to bring cool winds, devoid of dust or sand, to comfort the fanatic, and to help cool his armor. That, plus a small rhythm played out in the ball of his hand and given strength by the clattering of stoneware and footsteps of the encampment, should get it back to a cool temperature, even if it didn't fix all the damaged portions.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 31, 2014, 10:31:15 pm »

[BETA | RUINED TENT]
[#Stuff# == Dwarven, $Stuff$ Elementare if ever comes up, both for future reference as I'll keep to this system for easy identification.]

Jewel accepted the blade happily, immediately looking at the blade keenly as he closely listened to the short--truly, he's even shorter than Jewel--dark elf speak. The raw glass like stone of his eyes shimmered at the mention of 'silver' and 'Orichalcum,' a grin settling on his face at the idea of possibly working with that wondrous material.

The elemental was obviously transfixed by the Orichalcum blade in his hand, judging by all of his futzing with it. He poked it, prodded it, felt the balance, lightly felt the edge of the blade with a gauntlet-clad finger and observed the result, thumped the flat side of it with said metal-clad finger to see if he could hear the oft-talked about sound of the crystal. After having messed with it enough, he slowly raised one of the edges of the hand guard close to his face, his mouth opening slightly to reveal the slate-colored rock teeth inhabiting his mouth, paused, then brought it back down as if rethinking whatever he was going to do.

While the material is indeed impressive, he felt such a shame for the material being made into a silly form as this. Such a grand material, reduced to a pig-sticker? Oh the shame, the gall! Compared to the flesh-clothed ones around him though, he supposes it was a weapon of impressive and dangerous make by its own right. To the rock elemental, the only real danger in its edge is any accursed spell held within.

While it may be true that the elemental was preoccupied with the blade, that wasn't to say he wasn't listening to what came after. His teeth showed again, this time in a smile as he lowered the blade, now satisfied with his fiddlings and ready to join the conversation.

"Regret, unique make." He paused for a moment, his words jumbled. "No, unique material, yes. Much excite I see, touch. Hear material but no see material past present. #Orichalum glass# no fail impress." Jewel continued to refer to the material in dwarven (specifically in the 'fully forged, crafted into a weapon of [insert quality]' variant).

"Elf-Sun make trouble? Treachery?" It was one of the few larger words he knew. "Elf-Sun no honor. Happy quest-help, ally agree quest-help?" With the latter, the elemental addressed the others of the group, seeing what they thought? It seemed the human--Daeth--agreed, at the least. He repeated the latter also in the Trade-Speak-ized language that they spoke before the elves, to make sure everyone understood his question.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 01, 2014, 06:55:50 pm »

[Tradespeak = ON]

"Yes. Kill sun elf. I-we give ally help. No pay, ally-friend-you-

A gesture at the group.

and Family
[Tradespeak = OFF]

Blue

A gesture at himself, specifically his fabric.

[Tradespeak = ON]
"Give help big-big. Big now, big later, much happy circle. "

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 01, 2014, 07:10:03 pm »

Daethwin looked at Jewel suddenly, a thought occuring to him. "#Hey, Jewel...do you speak Dwarven, then?#" The bard felt like a fool for not having asked earlier, or at the least not having asked what language the elemental did speak well. A fool and an ass, for making him speak with such obvious difficulty.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:49:15 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47