Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47

Author Topic: Adventuring Party, Act 1: A Tale Of Two Hamlets  (Read 37618 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An Adventuring Party, Act 1: A Tale Of Two Hamlets (IC Thread)
« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2013, 03:01:29 pm »

Myrln scoops the glass up in his fingers, swirling the drink within around.
I understand the Baron controls these lands? My associates and I are here on behalf of a client that has been wronged - I won't say how - by him. We need access to his home, or information on how we can get in. We aren't here to cause any trouble, but if your brethren here were to want any annoying, obstructing people ... disappeared, we could perhaps arrange an unfortunate coincidence for them.
He takes a sniff of the drink.
Not a bad aroma. Wherever did you get it?
((Just for surety, could you repost the quest log we have? I may or may not have forgotten our actual objective.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2013, 03:39:26 pm »

"The ownership is currently a matter of some debate, is it not?"

She smiled more.

"I'm not sure if I trust your 'lack of trouble' when you're asking us how to assassinate the Baron's man here. Because in all honesty, I've been to the Baron's castle exactly once. I can't help you there. I could, however, tell you how to sneak into the Viscount's manor. The price is that when you return to your... employer-" (it was evident that she had a pretty good idea exactly who they were talking about) "-that our group of tax collectors is to have our position legally sanctioned and official pardon given for any crimes committed. We are, of course, willing to provide your employer with the tribute to which they are rightfully due, minus expenses and a small bonus for our contributions."

The woman took a long drink.

"Why, it was smuggled to us through the Ingot's smuggler network. It's not poisoned, I assure you. Quite a poor first impression that would make; it would get in the way of a successful business partnership, don't you think?"

[cult language = ON]
"That, and if we wanted you dead, don't you think the Viscount's soldiers would have been waiting here to kill you and reward us for our loyalty? Hah!"
[cult language = OFF]

"Do you mean Alaric? If so, then yes, we would be pleased for him to be restored. He would use his influence to strengthen our faith and restore its official sanction. While I am not currently able to speak for our master, I am certain your acts would merit the third tier."

The Blood Elf grinned, revealing his mossy green teeth.

"There is, however, an obstacle. There are certain wards in the Chapel that would prevent your entry. I myself know of a way to bypass these wards, but everything comes at a price. Aside from a charitable donation to our Temple, that is..."

He took a few steps closer, lowered his voice, and whispered the details to Morgrod.

[Mingan's cult language = ON]
"Simply put, in two night's time, certain priests intend to conduct a ceremony to sanctify the dead to prevent their being raised. You and your associates would need to disrupt it. Under no conditions whatsoever are you to kill the Decaric priests who will be there. This is of critical importance - they must not be killed or crippled. We will provide the needed scrolls to wipe their memory, of course."
[Cult language = OFF]

"That, and whatever coin you see fit to contribute, would be equivalent exchange."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:43:26 pm by Ross Vernal »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2013, 03:48:47 pm »

Myrln grins.
I believe I could convince my client to accept those turns, as long as you don't burn down the city or anything. Also, while I may not speak your cult language, that tone of voice sounded vaguely threatening.
He tossed the drink back.
Not bad at all ... now, there's two ways I can see my party and I a ccomplishing our goal: we either convince the nobles in this area to rebel against the duke, or simply get rid of the Baron. Either way. So, I'll need to know - which nobles - that you know of - are particularly sympathetic to the Baron, and which are dissatisfied? Knowing will make the process much quicker.
Sig! Onol

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2013, 04:02:17 pm »

"It's an inside joke, you wouldn't understand."

Another laugh, followed by her raising her glass to the half-fey and her taking a large drink.

"As you can guess, the Viscount is a distant cousin of the Baron. The only way to convince him is to threaten his family. Or just kill him, whichever you see fit. Gentlemen, could you find us a map?"

One of the Ingram-followers at the table would rise and fetch a map of the town, lay it on the desk, and then return to the game.

"Thank you. Now... I'll mark the residences of those gentry and nobles who support the Duke in red...."

scritch scritch scritch

[OOC note: Less than ten, somewhere just shy of a third]

"...black for those who have no concern at all..."

scritch scritch scritch

[The majority, obviously]

"...and blue for the Barony. You'll note that the largest residences support the Baron, and yes, they happen to be the richest and oldest families. Not all of them related, mind you. I will tell you quite frankly - and mark it - on the House Minor - that you should refrain from murdering, as it would convince many of the neutrals to pick sides. Now, if it were me doing this, I would pay a visit to this House and convince them that the Duke would surely lessen their tithe for their unwavering support. That would, of course, be my House, and I will do what I can to help convince them of this. And yes, try to not kill or threaten my relatives. I wouldn't like that very much."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2013, 04:14:53 pm »

Subtlety and kindness, then. So I should leave him out of that.
Very well, this should work splendidly. After all, Arnum doth decree that solving problems with words is the best way to go and all that.

Myrln sighs.
Very well then. I'll take that map, and we should be able to resolve this fairly soon. Any other details we need to agree on?
Sig! Onol

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2013, 06:27:25 pm »

"It would be nice if you could make me a blacksteel shield, sir. Also, when can I expect you to have the shield ready? It would be nice to have it done by tonight, or tomorrow. As for the beer ingredients, I'll see what I can do."

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2013, 08:16:33 pm »

"Tonight is entirely impossible, my friend. The process to make blacksteel is longer than regular steel, and I'll have to close early today to prepare the furnaces. A job like this is one I will be doing personally, because I wouldn't trust it to my apprentices. Two days from now, at the soonest."

A chuckle.

"And there's still the matter of payment. I'll be losing money to start now, so... seven gold for the cost. You have the meteoric iron, but the other ingredients aren't cheap. Another five gold and oh, three shillings and three shims. And then there's the price of my labor, sixty-eight aureas. Make it eighty aureas, and we'll forget the shillings and shims. Twenty up front, and the rest before I deliver. Deal?"

"You misunderstand me. Only this House and my House should be considered to be above the threat of violence."

She pointed again for emphasis at the both.

"The former because they are proud and social; my House because I wouldn't like it. As far as I care, you can kill the rest of them to your heart's content and loot their vaults with a big smile on your face. They're either too small to matter or will have their assets fall to another House. And yes, actually, there is. I understand you lot have picked up followers. Two silver per head is the cost of their contracts. Twenty-two people, two shillings each. Plus smart money for the survivor's families. Thirteen dead, one pence each."

She blew on the map, then rolled it up and handed it over.

"Dong the math... you owe us three aurea, one pence, and eight shillings. I'm sure such a cost can easily be covered. You're adventurers, after all."

Spoiler: Party Money (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2013, 09:32:22 pm »

Hand her three aurea and two pence.

I'll take four shillings back, then, and we can call it even. Now, how would one get into the Viscount's manor without being noticed?
Sig! Onol

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2013, 10:07:27 pm »

She returned the change with a smile, then held up a finger before taking assorted contracts out, and then burning them to ashes. After wiping the desk clean, she chuckled.

"Most people would tell you the sewers. Which is, indeed, a way of doing so for most Houses. The Viscount is particularly paranoid, and has security systems in place. What he doesn't know is that the current system is built on top of some catacombs. They lead into his family crypt, hidden behind a false tomb. And of course, the reason why we know this is through them."

She waved at the thieves.

"Now, we know that in two day's time, there's going to be a midwinter celebration at the House we told you to not kill people from. That's the ideal time to break in, since nobody will be home. His bedroom is located on the third floor, east wing. Look for a tacky tapestry with badly-proportioned people; it's the door just in front of it. Unless he's redecorated the room since... well, unless he's redecorated, there's a large closet you can hide in."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2013, 11:22:11 pm »

Myrln steepled his fingers.
Excellent. Glad to have done business with you.
Getting up from his chair, he says, I'd wait for you, Tarana, but I've got to get to a vendor and I suspect you and her would want to talk anyhow.
With that, he makes his goodbyes and heads back to the location which the witch pointed out the directions to him from, taking the map with him.
Sig! Onol

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 13, 2013, 12:02:51 am »

"Deal. I'll pick it up in two days. Here's your twenty up front."

Give him the twenty aurea up front. After this, head off to look for possible ways to get him his beer ingredients buy some coriander, and then head out into the desert to look for more meteoric iron, and other valuable materials.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:17:01 am by Chink »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 13, 2013, 01:06:48 am »

Understood, honoured one. It shall be done.
Head back and find the others.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2013, 12:10:22 pm »

"At last, he left. Tarana sighed "So we will go through the crypt. One of our party members is going too like that. Speaking about him and other unpleasant magic users...  Lady, I would be grateful if you'd help me to get stuff that will allow me to feel safer around them. I hope you can give me an advice where I can find some special jewelery, belt or even a comfortable dress that would protect me from fire, illusion, and, especially death magic
Not only my companions are too happy to use area based magic in my presence, I want to be prepared when our maniac Mingon priest, ask Natalie abut him, will try to kill someone that I don't approve "
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2013, 04:24:32 pm »

"I can do better. Here." Rochelle grinned and took a small iron ring from her finger, then slid it across the table. "Lesser protection ring. The only condition is that within a year, you pass it along to another follower whose need is greater than yours. Otherwise, the curse kicks in and it becomes a lesser ring of harm. You'd have to cut off a finger to get it off."

She laughed.

"Lucky for me that you came along. Now, how familiar are you with alchemy?"

[If everyone else could post here what they do over the next few days, I'll advance after this scene.]

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2013, 05:57:14 pm »

Myrln shall:
-Track down each of the party miners and inform them of the plan to sneak into the Viscount's manor, and request that they meet at [inn the party is going to stay at] in 2 days
-Purchase that staff with details discussed with GM
-Look around for fortune tellers to try to figure out what that dream meant
-Go visit the Temple of Arnum and tell them about the vision if the above fails. If it succeeds, still go
-Try to find any followers of Pantxike and engage in a prank competition
-Wander around and interact with townsfolk unobtrusively
-Meet with party after 2 days
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47