Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47

Author Topic: Adventuring Party, Act 1: A Tale Of Two Hamlets  (Read 37573 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An Adventuring Party, Act 1: A Tale Of Two Hamlets (IC Thread)
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2013, 02:07:50 am »

Present Setting - About a half-day's travel from Garrison. Your party was watering the horses (and those who enjoy water) at a cistern.

Relative Timing/Location - There's a large amount of bandits with shortbows, swords, staves, and other tools of war. It's late mid-day.

Notable NPC's - 30+ Bandits, Bandit Leader

Other Details - Those bows are aimed at the party. You're downhill, and the sun is behind them.

"Greetings, ladies and gentlemen."

The speaker, distinguished by his blue shirt visible under his padded armor, grinned down at the party.

"We're here as representatives of the Garrison Springs Water Assessment Board. In exchange for your water, we'll be taking your contraband."

His horse pawed the ground under him and snorted.

"Real peaceable like."

He'd wave a hand, cuing some of the bandits (not the ones aiming at the party) to approach the horses, unarmed and hands out.

Spoiler: Active Quests, Act 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notable Inventory (click to show/hide)

[Yes, you can add anything special to the Inventory. Just make it clear that you are doing so.]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:38:11 am by Ross Vernal »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2013, 02:12:28 am »

((I should have a sword and some light armour))

Do you really want to mess with a death priest?
Demoralise them! Now! (Cast the spell)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2013, 02:14:20 am »

What do you mean? We're carrying no contraband, and if you take our water ... you'll take our contraband, which we have none of? I fail to understand you.
Myrln smirks.
Besides, gentlemen, if this is what I think it is, then you really should reconsider. Just look at your presumed helpless targets! A demoness? An undead mage? An Angelborn warrior? A half-fey? You have chosen the wrong targets, my friends.
With a flash, Myrln's holding a fireball in each hand.
So, he asks, nonchalantly juggling them, how's this going to go, gentlemen? You can leave now and we won't have any trouble, or - he grins ferociously - you can go the hard way, which ends up with you all dead and dumped in the well. You decide.

Use Illusion to manifest the 'fireballs'. Talk and threaten.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:58:34 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2013, 05:57:06 am »

Everyone seemed to be so ready to jump right into the fight, nevermind that the bandits had them surrounded, had the high ground and superior fire power. They were a band of adventurers, and while strong, how many of these bandits could they take out before they were overwhelmed. Zoah felt everyone was acting too brashly. Thinking more with their pride than with their brains. They had to get the tip their advantage in their favor before starting a fight.

The better thing to do would have been luring them into a false sense of security. Take some hostages and use them as meat shields to make a charge. After all, the arrows would be hitting their own allies bodies and not them. And when you got into close combat a bow was useless - and with magic and superior skill, they could be overtaken.

However, the ball had already gotten rolling. That mean Zoah went right into action. Both of his white wings spread open, and with incredible finesse and speed, the angelborn shot into the sky. No doubt the archers would follow him up, but their eyes would meet the mid-afternoon sun. Zoah planned to use the sun to make sure that none of them could properly see him. This was an ancient technique of war, attacking with the sun at your back.

Should shit really hit the fan, the angelborn had a plan of attack. His silver spear was in his hand and the "release" had been triggered, extending it to a full eight feet in length.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2013, 06:29:00 am »

Tarana raised her hands, turned her head to the bandit leader and  said " Hey, sweaty.  I am not with this idiots and have no need to fight with you. You may kill them and then I'll show you some gratitude for sparing my possessions and my life" She even made several steps closer to the bandit leader.
Of cause it all was a lie, in fact Tarana aimed at bandit's face, preparing for a tasty acid spit right in his eyes

Try to look harmless and uninterested in the possible fight, try to get closer to the leader, be ready to use acid spit should opportunity arise
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2013, 10:32:38 am »

"You won't be taking my things, scum. Not as long as I've got an axe and a hand to swing it."

Shake axe threateningly in one hand, while grabbing a flask of strong alcohol in the other.

((I should have an axe, some light armour, some flasks of strong alcohol, and a wooden walking stick with a chunk of coal embedded in the top.))

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2013, 05:32:19 am »

Post to watch
You people are insane.
Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »

The combined illusion and black magic worked (-10% to-hit) causing the rider on the horse to start visibly. It all seemed to happen at once - five of the archers immediately tracked Zoah and fired, while the remainder would fire at the group. One of these archers would critically fail, releasing an arrow not at the angelborn warrior, but instead into the flank of the leader's horse. Panicked by the sudden pain, the horse would rear and dump its rider with a sickening crunch (10 HP damage; broken neck), then run away. Fortunately for the group, the packhorses were well-trained, merely observing the panicked horse and hail of arrows their way.

This would not, however, stop one of the arrows from sinking deep into Zoah's upper thigh, burning with arcane power (6 HP damage). Out of the remaining three, all but one were ineffective, either flying past the angelborn or rebounding harmlessly from his breastplate due to his battle instincts and last-second maneuvering (Critical: Veteran Warrior); the last one would graze his right shoulder, raising blood to the surface. (1 HP damage).

Out of the remaining archers, several arrows would thunk neatly into the side of the carts, scattering the unarmed bandits as they moved out of the way, unwilling to be shot by their own band. Despite this, the rest of the arrows would make their way towards the group, leaving it up to the party members to dodge.

The first target, obviously, was the talking Myrln, whose fireballs made him the target of opportunity. Quickly calculating the arc of the arrow, Myrln would sidestep the first arrow (Major: Intelligent), which would have the unfortunate consequence of having his ear torn open and head scraped by another arrow (2 HP damage).

Another would head towards the death-priest, who would utilize its superior speed and agility (Sp: 18 Ag: 18) to allow the arrow to harmlessly pass through its outer layer of clothing.

Tarana, sensing the arrows coming near, would utilize a trick she had learned from her past (Dancer 1) to elegantly deflect the blow, then take the opportunity to spit on the back of the head of the downed horseman, killing him outright.

Another, aimed roughly for Neun, would end up shattering the flask in his hand and tearing skin as he moved, the alcohol burning the wound slightly. (1 HP damage, -5% to-hit)

A determined war cry would arise from the throats of some of the swordsmen, who would attempt to flank the party and drive them up to the walls. The archers would begin to reload or draw their knives. while the mages would begin to bolster the willpower of the demoralized and surprised bandits.

[Your move.

There are now less than 25 armed bandits, as the others are unarmed and hiding, unwilling to join the battle. Any further attempts at archery now have a severe penalty as a result of firing into melee. The leader is dead.]

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2013, 08:03:48 pm »

((I suspect this will be rather tiring for poor Myrln.))

Dismissing the fire illusion from his palms, Myrln Ducks behind any cover he can find.
Then, closing his eyes and concentrating, he works magic.

The bandits were suddenly assailed by something, an entity seemingly intent upon distracting them; whenever they nicked an arrow, an archer would feel a poke in the ribs or a tap on the shoulder just as they released it, shooting it off course. A Mage would attempt to cast a spell, only to be shocked out of focus by a voice in their ear shouting, BOO! They would be totally unable to do anything meaningful, swinging at air or each other rather than the group of adventurers.
At least that's what it would do in theory.
Myrln uses illusion magic to distract the bandits whenever they make a combat action.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:43 pm »

For crying out loud, they can't even shoot arrows straight!

Blast them with some bolts of death magic. 'Drain Life' sorta thing.

Xero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2013, 08:46:08 pm »

Well, that hadn't worked out so well.

Zoah didn't have time to sit and think about the arrow in his thigh, letting adrenaline and the battle rush take over. Both of his wings carried him over the enemy and he'd activate his feat.

[Divine Protection]

With this armor, he'd pick the closest archer and bring his spear down through the top of their head. No time to stop and check for gender - everyone was equal on the battlefield.

[Attack! Attack!]

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2013, 10:10:00 pm »

"Aah! Feckers ruined my booze! You'll feckin' burn in hell!"

Activate RAGE, and attack with my axe in two hands. Throw some fireballs before charging into the middle of melee, though.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2013, 11:20:02 pm »

"Run idiots, Run!"  Tarana screamed while drawing her rapier and jumping out of the way of the charging half-dwarf and the bolting death mage.  Her elegant dueling techniques were not that effective in mass brawl, friendly fire risk was quite high and demongirl was far from comfortable killing bandits, knowing that some may be quite nice persons forced for that unpleasant job

Tarana to avoid combat and damage, should she do get attacked prioritize incapacitation over kill
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:56 pm »

Quote from: Gamerlord
Blast them with some bolts of death magic. 'Drain Life' sorta thing.

Throw some fireballs before charging into the middle of melee, though.

[A question for the both of you before I reply: how strong?

Tier 1: 2 HP / 1 MP / autohit
Tier 2: 4 HP / 3 MP / autohit
Tier 3: 8 HP / 6 MP / autohit
Tier 4: 12 HP / 6 MP /range spell
Tier 5: 16 HP / 8 MP /range spell
Tier 6: 1-10 damage per target up to 100 damage total /10 MP / area of effect (targets EVERYONE, including allies)
Tier 7: 1-20 damage per target up to 200 damage total /10 MP / area of effect (targets EVERYONE, including allies)

To put it on a scale.]

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2013, 11:35:02 pm »

As many tier threes as I can pump out.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47