Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Inferno MOO (Multiplayer Text-Based Post-Apocalyptic Roleplaying Game)  (Read 21636 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inferno MOO (Multiplayer Text-Based Post-Apocalyptic Roleplaying Game)
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2013, 10:34:46 am »

I thought this server died after the admins fucked up the back ups

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2013, 12:34:37 pm »

It did, slightly, but has been coming back. But, it seems that the servers are down, as I can't connect to either the website or to the game.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2013, 04:28:28 am »

Heh, was looking to see how this VariantMOO was doing after I ran into a recent bout of tragic hilarity on GilmoreMOO.  Seems like you've got plenty of your own MOOdrama from the looks of it.

How exactly is PvP handled in this game?  Is it the carebear system with challenges and that whole mess, or does it lean more towards the old style of "fuck everything"?

Also, I'd heard rumors that Inferno was started up by some goons who wanted to make their own, anti-blind MOO.  I remember there being a fantastic amount of drama way back when in regards to the sighted/non-sighted.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2013, 09:14:53 am »

PvP is completely open. Most currently tend not to engage in it, but its there.

As for the drama? The latest bit was caused by a fire big enough to hit the news melting the underground cables feeding precious bandwidth to the server farm the Moo is hosted at.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:50 am »

I have had trouble understanding how a 'MOO' works. How does it differ from a structured MUD? How does combat work in unstructured moos?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2013, 10:30:09 am »

Not sure how most moos work, but HELLmoo and its variants, including InfernoMoo, are only Moos because they are based on LambadaMoo code. Combat is structured, and most things are coded in

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2013, 06:04:41 am »

Basically the MOO is a MUD, but since it uses an object oriented programming language it's a bit easier to add new content and change existing content. As mentioned above, it's based on LambdaMOO, but it has come a long way in its many iterations (and had many steps back, depending on the amount of codebase transferred between splits and the preference of the ones making the server).

Personally, as a programmer, I'd be scared to take a look at the mess of code that's likely lurking beneath the surface of the otherwise fairly simplistic looking game.

I've had an urge to get back in to this for some reason. I kinda have an on again, off again relationship with the game, since the urge to indulge in a world that I know fairly well and get to see some familiar (and sometimes entertaining) personalities. It's probably the closest I ever get to roleplaying in a game, since the lack of graphical detail requires you to paint yourself with words and actions more than ever. Many good times were had helping out people, breaking into high ranking players' "impenetrable" zeppelins due to a stroke of luck, and just screwing around a lot, but your results may vary.

Heh, was looking to see how this VariantMOO was doing after I ran into a recent bout of tragic hilarity on GilmoreMOO.  Seems like you've got plenty of your own MOOdrama from the looks of it.

How exactly is PvP handled in this game?  Is it the carebear system with challenges and that whole mess, or does it lean more towards the old style of "fuck everything"?

Also, I'd heard rumors that Inferno was started up by some goons who wanted to make their own, anti-blind MOO.  I remember there being a fantastic amount of drama way back when in regards to the sighted/non-sighted.

From what I remember, PvP is open range on anybody. It did lead to some issues when bear/GOKU/ndy/whatever he goes by these days ends up deciding to go on a rampage for a while, which can last a while since the guy seemed to never leave his computer, let alone sleep. Power differences between new and old players, and not wanting to start a whole lot of trouble between corps, ended up keeping the peace most of the time. I corp jumped for a while due to people starting shit that ended up getting me involved through no fault of my own until I settled on making my own corp for the chance at doing missions for money without being fucked with, and being able to afford the sims I wanted.

Any community this small, and somewhat tightly knit (though not as tightly screwed together in the head) is going to take things too seriously in some respects. The HellMOO variants have always attracted a certain type of person.

The backstory for the server split as I know it is as follows; there's a bit of explaining and some rambling because I'm typing this before I go to bed at 6am, but I'll probably touch up on it a bit after I wake up in a more coherent fashion.

Rumors about the variant being started up due to anti-blindism were mostly true, unfortunately, though not the sole reason for making yet another fork of the server base. I forgot who the current "owner" is of this server, but he ended up having an intense hatred toward Benaron, who managed to get some amount of favoritism from the administrator of a previous HellMOO server, meaning items in testing (which were, by some accounts, overpowered) and boosts here and there. Personally, I knew Benaron from being in his corporation a while, and he wasn't all bad, though he had more than a slight tendency to screw with N-tags, aiming them as they walked through the door of the orphanage with a lasblaster or super shorty. That conduct would have gotten anyone else newted, banned or otherwise taken care of by the admins, but he managed to get away with it scot free on many occasions.

When this was brought up to Mada, he vehemently denied allowing Benaron such favoritism. All the claims and rage thrown about culminated in the entire active playerbase being teleported to a large conference room where only one person was allowed to speak at a time, in a very organized and only vaguely civilized fashion. Players were allowed to voice their concerns about this and other issues; long story short nobody liked Benaron or the way he was getting the five star treatment by Mada et all despite the fact he had killed N-tags repeatedly. If you really want to spend an hour sifting through the chatlog, someone did a pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/hd9j0U0b

Once it was decided that Mada was not going to stop playing favorites, the current InfernoMOO guys (Flaktus and some others) decided they would take an old version of the code and go play with their ball elsewhere. While there is still some amount of blind hatred against blind people, it seems to have died down a bit with Benaron not showing his face around the newest iteration of the MOO. He would probably be banned on the spot, if not completely unable to progress if he did and someone caught on. Last I heard, he was still screwing around on MadaMOO, which has become a one or two player at peak times sort of deal, while the original existing HellMOO (as much as it can be called that) is carebear heaven.

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but InfernoMOO is probably someones best bet if they wanted to play this game at all in the way it was meant to be played. Players make the story in this sandbox game, and restricting PvP or builds detracts from that. It's sorta like a very old, nongraphical EVE Online, if EVE Online started the game with you getting forcibly face fucked, biting that persons' dick off, and choke to death as you were kicked down some stairs. Good times.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2013, 07:13:09 am »

Don't forget the furnace.  The furnace is an essential part of anyone's experience.

Yeah, I spent some time on HATE and wound up talking quite a bit with Benaron, sessle, WKD and a few others.  Benaron is mostly just a ditz, really, it's just that he has a tendency to get high and come up with really stupid ideas.  Everyone just kind of puts up with it with an "Oh you..." attitude, like "Oh Benaron, you just walked naked into Corpclave to punch spiderlings, forgetting you were carrying four Zap Brannigans that you'd just made for the corp's spear users?  Again?".  He irritates Mada easily as much as he irritates anyone else.

As far as favoritism goes, I'm guessing it mostly just has to do with these guys communicating with Mada regularly, which they do.  And when you're struggling to keep your variant semi-alive with a few players, you don't want to alienate more people than strictly necessary.  The weapons testing is complete bollocks though, but I'm familiar with the story and the so-called "instadeath laser whips".

Yeah, Mada did reskin a couple flash whips for them to play around with.  How people were dying to them and claiming they were massively overpowered is the real mystery, seeing as they were just regular flash whips with different names.  Mada also gave them a "battle drone/tank" thing that sat outside of their corp HQ and looked like a menacing automated weapons platform, and this gave rise to more cries of admin favoritism...  The thing was, again, just a reskin.  This time of a hoverlift.  It was entirely passive, the only thing it would do is that if you hugged it, it would hug you back (did this myself, repeatedly.  We had good times together).

I'm certainly not going to deny that Benaron did stuff like aim at the orphanage entrance with heavy weapons and blast N-tags to smithereens, I've seen him do stranger shit firsthand.  I'm also not going to say it's excusable because he was almost certainly high as balls at the time and didn't even remember doing it.  I'm just saying that the cries of favoritism are a touch exaggerated, and that there is a lot of very heavily biased information going around (including how this group feels about the other incarnations of Hell right now).

And yeah, MadaMOO at the moment is a wasteland...  Which is a real shame, because personally I felt that it had the better game system mechanics of the variants (stuff like assisted mining for specific resources, being able to see exact mutation specifics before mutating, faster/less painful leveling, some new fun muts...).  It's just not really that exciting if nobody else is playing on it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2013, 12:50:12 pm »

The house thing is really a point of contention.  On the one hand, there are multiple apartment buildings (not that any of them ever have vacancies, but hey...) that not only allow you to pay more for better protection of your stuff (either through obscurity or raw power), but also allow you to have "backup" homes to stock a reserve supply of equipment in case things go tits-up at your main digs.

Yes, it's an incredible pain having your mad stash get raided, but that's why you invest in security measures to make sure your awesome shit is safe.  Well, sorta.

And if you have truly priceless treasures, it is actually possible ingame to store them somewhere actually safe.  Each character can store up to ten items in a safety deposit box that cannot be accessed by anyone else.  For those who don't want to pay this price, there's also the option of potentially stashing stuff in the corp HQ if you feel it would be safer there than in your own home.

I do still kind of have to agree with you though, which is why I liked the logged out immunity...  If you were logged off inside your apartment, no one could pick or otherwise get in.  Apparently, for all the carebearing that GilMOO is putting up, THAT is one of the safety features that actually got removed.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2013, 03:00:27 pm »

I would like to point out that the current iteration of InfernoMoo is VERY newbie friendly at the moment. The griefers are quiet, the corps are helpful, and figuring out 3 weeks down a character's life that the build sucks isn't a loss of three weeks of time.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2013, 05:30:19 pm »

What did they do to change that? I've been away for the greater part of this year, and haven't really watched the changes they've been doing due to lack of interest.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2013, 02:43:56 pm »

You keep all your journal and job xp when you reroll

thepotatospirit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2013, 02:00:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure if you're the only one logged out in your personal apartment in infernomoo it cant be picked into. Also OCD crafter types are not as punished as you would think. Polaris has forced his way to the top of the economy with millions and millions in text hoards and the guy can't even kill dan asty. Also repeated grieffing is punished, the admins will notice if you've been killed 20 times in a row by some grieffer. The biggest problem with Infernomoo is how unbalanced focus is, but the game is making progress and that's always heartening to see.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:02:50 pm by thepotatospirit »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2014, 04:12:24 pm »

I got this for my android using a client app on the store. I actually like this mud a lot. Everyone I met is friendly so far and the mud works great on the android.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2014, 12:44:22 am »

I used a separate character while on an Android MUSH client called Blowtorch. The two characters I did run never had any interaction due to playing one solely while at work, the other while at home, and testing different builds, styles of speaking, attitude, etc on each.

I just didn't trust my main character to the fickleness of my cellular data connection inside of a storm-resistant building with no employee available wifi. It works better than you think, though a keyboard is obviously recommended, especially for a phone.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7