Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Inferno MOO (Multiplayer Text-Based Post-Apocalyptic Roleplaying Game)  (Read 21632 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

InfernoMOO takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, similar to Fallout. You can be a gunslinger, a scientist, a horribly mutated monstrosity that is shunned by the remnants of society, or some combination of the above, and more! There's no class or level system, so you're free to build your character how you want by mixing and matching skills, stats, mutations, and equipment.

Inferno is a text-based multiplayer online roleplaying game (sometimes referred to as a MUD; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD ). It's played by typing commands like 'go north' (which can be shortened to 'n'), 'kill dog', 'take <item on ground>', 'wield sword', and so on and so forth. As archaic as this sounds, it's an incredibly good implementation of the concept.

Roleplaying isn't expected or encouraged, though you're free to screw around and pretend to be whatever, if you want. People might play along!

The game is fully open to PVP, although there are "safe" areas which have police protecting them. This creates an atmosphere of tension, never knowing if someone's going to come along and kill you to take your stuff (although most players are nice to newbies!), which makes having friends much more important.

If someone does kill you, or you just die stupidly to something else, don't feel bad; death isn't a big deal! You can reclone for a small fee with little to no loss of progress. You will, however, have to go get your stuff back, or replace it. Lucky for you, most equipment you'll be using early on is fairly easy to replace.

Note that this game is VERY adult-oriented. There is a rather graphic sex/rape system (which no one actually uses unironically, for the most part), and the combat is as beautifully gory as text can get.

How to play
There are a few ways to get started playing.
One is to use the Flash client at http://inferno.optiquest.org/FMud/FMud.html

The other is to download and install a client like MUSHClient ( http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/ ) and enter the following connection info:
Address: inferno.optiquest.org
Port: 7777

Once you've connected, either through the Flash client or your own, you'll want to type "request <name> for <email address>". Don't worry about someone getting your email; it's not public. Check your email, then reconnect and use the password in the email you receive to connect with "connect <name> <password>".

Once you're logged in, you can chat on newbienet with "newb <your message here>" and those of us who are logged in can help you from there.

You may also consider reading the newbie guide at http://inferno.optiquest.org/mediawiki/index.php/Getting_Started_Guide.

This is the same codebase as HellMOO, but with saner and more active admins who are making strides in fixing some of Hell's weirder and less functional aspects, as well as adding new endgame content. This iteration is much less grindy, and you can, at any time, reroll and keep all non-"effective" xp, which is to say all experience earned through quests, jobs, travels, journals, and kills.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:19:45 pm by Tahin »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

so its a new incranation of HellMoo, spun off the same codebase?
I got nothing

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Ooooh, I really loved Hellmoo until the mods got all in my grill.

I'll give this a shot.

Someone in the chat linked this newbie guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wEh9-2MHoofjzDLN9B1ZvWONeho2C6IPxa6kU1NdPIg/edit

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Huh. It says security error on the flash thing when I try to connect.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so its a new incranation of HellMoo, spun off the same codebase?

Yeah.

Huh. It says security error on the flash thing when I try to connect.

If you can't connect via the flash client, just connect with MUSHClient or something. In fact, don't use the flash client except to get a very quick, general feel for the game, since it's pretty terrible and doesn't display a lot of the colors for some reason.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

There is a rather graphic sex/rape system (which no one actually uses unironically, for the most part)

I think you're being more than a little optimistic in claiming that, given that there are a significant number of people who play entirely for the reason of using this system.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

There is a rather graphic sex/rape system (which no one actually uses unironically, for the most part)

I think you're being more than a little optimistic in claiming that, given that there are a significant number of people who play entirely for the reason of using this system.
You can't really use it right now since there's no orphanage and most of the npcs sit next to FCPD cameras.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

You can't really use it right now since there's no orphanage and most of the npcs sit next to FCPD cameras.

You can't use it on NPCs, sure.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can't use it on NPCs, sure.
most of the npcs?
As if Freedom City composes most of the game world. I'm sure you can still rape dogs.
Did this server just open or is this just a new thread?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did this server just open or is this just a new thread?

Just a new thread since the old one was buried way down and was from last year some time.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just gonna say, people, if you ever spill someone's brains with a boomerang fatality... That right there is my work. 8)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChahlieBoi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Just wanted to drop in and say that this game rocks and there's sooo much to do. The player base is slowly growing! If you ever need anything, page me in the game, I'll be glad to help. My name is Charlie, I'm always on. Just type who in the console to see if i'm online.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been waiting for this game to be reborn again! I knew it was only a matter of time.

I think the self-destructive adminbase of each of the Hell incarnations is actually a part of the fun. This is the only game that it can actually be interesting to watch fall apart.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile

For anyone who plays and who's interested.

12 on *News (#61)                             // Fri May 31 17:53:31 2013 EDT
                                                // From: Unicornismywife

Sorry guys, we've rolled back to April 12 because of a huge fuckup on our
    part. We understand that this affects you severely and we apologize. We
    have no excuse and we promise this will never happen again.

I'm beyond pissed right now, I admit.  Finally get back into the game, get some good progress, and this happens.  And of course, as soon as someone logs in, they fire literally everyone in the corp, take -all- the funds, and quit themselves.  I haven't been angry about a game in a long ass time.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

HellMOO, its shitstorms rage forever, eternally like those on jupiter.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7