Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Gravecinders: Thirst Upon the Blazing Plain  (Read 17418 times)

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gravecinders: Thirst Upon the Blazing Plain
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2013, 05:40:48 am »

Updated: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126534.msg4356277#msg4356277

Didn't notice it at first, but yes that is a severed body part IN MIDAIR. 

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:27:31 pm by falafelsandwich »

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2013, 06:31:02 pm »

To my successor: The rooms below the new barracks are a nearly finished mass pitting system described here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Mass_pitting

The upper room needs 6 more holes dug in the floor and hatch covers placed on them.  Once this is all set, pull the level below to close the gates, bring the archers downstairs, and optionally bring the civilians down for a show.  Civilian-containing bridges or doors still need to be built to keep them from running away.

Once this is done, set the monsters into the pit area and they will all fall below.  Then it's time for target practice and optional tragedy desensitization.

A hallway properly secured with a bridge that is normally kept closed (NOT A DOOR) should be built to the bottom of the cliffs of insanity to harvest goblinite.  Was intending to put a goblinite stockpile on this floor as well so haulers can clean up both the cliff defenses and the execution chamber efficiently.  (you can't see in these screenshots but they are right next to each other)

Note that this entire area only connects to the rest of the fort through ALL of the barracks.  The new barracks area stacks them one on top of the other.  That way, if there are any breaches in security when you're not paying attention, they'll have to make it through whatever part of the army is currently training before they do any real damage.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:33:30 pm by falafelsandwich »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2013, 07:10:19 pm »

That was pretty good. You sure know how to build for sieges. I am learning a lot. I enjoyed your updates a lot, too.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2013, 07:16:32 pm »

Happy to help  :)  Thankfully everything else was already set up very well so I could focus on defense the entire time.  And damn, good thing I did, those mounts were terrifying.

We have dozens of iron trap weapons now, which are worth WAY more than they should be.  These should take care of any trading we need to do for a while.

Should also mention that I've torn out some of the outer walls so wagons can get in - that will need to be corrected.  It'd be best to just fill the wall back in and have wagons come up the hill from the left, where the archer box has full coverage.  For some reason the ramp section I built didn't work for wagons, so this is a good project to pick up on.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2013, 07:32:33 pm »

oh there was a method to my madness for the first rooms being dug. and the reason i was so negligent on the trap making was i had set up the makings of a danger room.

Puffer do you wish your turn now or do you want to switch with kilozombie?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:37:06 pm by ORCACommander »

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2013, 01:58:54 pm »

so did someone pick up the fort for this week?

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2013, 02:11:55 pm »

CMONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2013, 11:41:44 pm »

I'll take this week, if no one before me has. Sorry about the delay, I was out of town for the weekend.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2013, 11:49:16 pm »

I'll take this week, if no one before me has. Sorry about the delay, I was out of town for the weekend.
JUST MAKE SURE YOU FINISH THE EXECUTION CHAMBER  it's so close and the prisoners are ready and waiting

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2013, 12:52:23 am »

Mkay. I'll see what I can do. Death to stuff!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2013, 02:13:19 am »

1054, 1 Granite
Well, that falafelsandwich really did wonders with the military situation around here. Shame about that vampire on the loose, though.
My first task as overseer today as to tour the fortress. It harldy seems real that we've been here three years. The place is getting on, that's for sure. Falafelsandwich seemed pretty impressed with his "execution chamber." I admit, I was a bit mystified. He went on about carnage and mayhem, and my blood did get a bit hot. Then I spied the lever. Unfortunately, falafelsandwich saw me see the lever, and I was unable to get near it at all. The tour moved on pretty quickly from there. Eh, falafelsandwich supplied me with a pretty good diet of cat this past year, so he's entitled to a little huffiness about his projects.

I have no idea what the corridors of the lowest level of the fortress are supposed to be. I looked through the cages, and it doesn't appear that we have a minotaur to put into that small labyrinth, so for now I am going to assume they are for show. Maybe later I will have them smoothed and engraved. I bet OrcaCommander would like that.

I made a public appearance at the gravesite next. I officially opened several of the coffins for use for burial. No pets allowed. I see that ReaverAxis, my old friend, is already at rest amongst the his fellow dwarves. Hopefully, we'll get him a nice tomb this year. Maybe set up a couple for the rest of the original seven.

After this I visited the magma forges. Orcacommander assured me that, yes, they are indeed "very hot." I was impressed by her knowledge. I am sure the forges are in good hands. There weren't any levers anywhere to be seen.

I was baffled one again at the arrangement and order of planting of the various farming plots, of which we seem to have two separate sets. I made the mistake of asking our farmer, killzombie, about that. I'm a simple trader, not a polished, ivory-tower agricultural engineer like some people. I don't think he even noticed when I fell asleep. I'm pretty sure falafelsandwich took the opportunity to move our tour along some of the more interesting bits at this point, because when I awoke, I was in my office. At this point, I realized that I hadn't officially become overseer yet. Well, I guess I better tidy up and go to the ceremony.

Time to look in the mirror and make sure everything is in order:

Kezat Stukonibesh! My head is extremely tall! Oh well, at least I'm lanky.

At last, the ceremony is over and I am Overseer! Now ... wait Why don't I have any chests, armor stands, or weapon racks!? This must be remedied at once!

Tomorrow.

I am exhausted. That's enough work for today. Time to go sleep in my "modest" bedroom. I'll expect that to change soon as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:17:20 am by Ozarck »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2013, 12:47:54 pm »

Updates this evening.

I'm going to actually do something! Woot!

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:48 pm »

excellent :)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2013, 09:01:35 pm »

4th Granite. Today, Cerol is at rest. Gravecinders sighs in relief.

7th Granite. The mayor has issued a mandate. I think I can live with this one.

As I looked through the paperwork to see what Kubuk had demanded, I discovered that I still did not have the proper furniture for my station. I took the rooms next to the mayor's and began furnishing and smoothing them. Falafelsandwich seemed a little put out, but he can have them back at the end of the year, when I move into more permanent quarters. For now, the overseer needs her cabinets! If I remember, I'll install that “special” cabinet for falafelsandwich before I move out. If he buys me a good cat sandwich, heh heh heh.

8th Granite. I assigned Bembul Zasirtir to be chief medical dwarf today. Now I can read in excruciating detail about our military misadventures and medical malpractices. That, and a little alcohol, will get me through the working day. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Ahahaha
heh heh.

I also assigned some poor sap to be captain of the guard. Maybe someone will tell him who has been killing and drinking all our dwarves. Oh, sure, he'll probably end up beating dwarves for not making sterling silver chains for the mayor, but it's the principle of the thing. At least I would know who to blame then.

19th Granite. I decided to begin digging down today. I am hoping to find a cavern with a lake, so that we can make a well. I doubt I will succeed.

25th Granite. I discovered that one of our carpenters has FOUR pet cats. I must be careful not to suggest cat for lunch when I am around her. It probably won't be an issue, as I barely know her.

3rd Slate.  I designated a storage area for skulls, bones ,and other useful parts near the craftdwarves' shops today. I look forward to seeing what our crafty dwarves can do with such bounty (heh, heh, heh. “crafty.” I kill me.).

13th Slate. Our dwarves need a hobby, and dwarves like few things better than throwing stuff into a hole. I have made a refuse press to get rid of unsightly corpses and old clothing (and the occasional mayor, Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha..........). As soon as someone pulls the lever to raise the bridge, we'll be ready to start.

5th Felsite. Tragedy has struck. Killzombie, one of the original seven, has been killed by the vampire. When I find out who it is, this vampire is being assigned a burrow in the atom smasher. I am tired of burying bloodless bodies.

(If someone could remind me how to insert images directly into the posts, I might do away with the links to photobucket. I knew this once, but I believe I lost that knowledge in the Great Atom Smasher Event of 1054. What can I say? We all threw in something we probably shouldn't have. We have no regrets.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:20:38 am by Ozarck »

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2013, 10:04:10 pm »

well photobucket has the option to copy copy the links with the tags already applied but you need to use and with photobucket you need to use the direct link rather than the share link.

gota say not to pleased by us noble seven finding early graves so soon. I am sure the cloning vat can be warmed up though
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14