Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Gravecinders: Thirst Upon the Blazing Plain  (Read 17396 times)

Sumyunguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gravecinders: Thirst Upon the Blazing Plain
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2013, 08:26:38 pm »

-snip-
I think the wooden cages are fine as dragons only breathe fire when near a dwarf, pet, ect.. Just keep anyone out of the cage room and it should go alright, but I'm not sure... :P

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2013, 08:41:16 pm »

The one other dragon I ever faced tore down my bridge, burned my cages, and got severely wounded by a long corridor of stonefall traps. then the game crashed, and I lost it all. When I reloaded, the dragon never came. I was severely disappointed. I will try to keep dwarves away from the entrance, for obvious reasons (sunlight is yucky). But I can't guarantee the actions of the pets, foodstock, random thieves, and lesser creatures (dwarves. I mean dwarves).

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2013, 08:49:41 pm »

dragons can't use their breath weapon from within the cage so once its in a cage its completely safe supposing the drunken louts can transport the cage without accidentally dumping it

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2013, 11:01:15 pm »

Sounds like it might be better to leave the front gate open then. Otherwise, it will go through the cliffs of insanity. Somehow, I think that might not be as effective on a dragon as on goblins.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2013, 01:11:16 pm »

13th timber. Some of our livestock has gotten marginally hotter today.

A wall has been built to protect most of the fortress should the beast get through the traps.

Sadly, several dwarves are on the other side of this wall. Even more sadly, there is a flight of stairs leading from one side of this wall to the other, so it offers at best a mild inconvenience to my dwarves.

Success! The dragon has been captured! This would be a lot more comforting if the cage weren't on fire.

16th Timber.

This is not a good time, guys. If you don't want to !!go away!!, you should really go away right now

19th Timber.

After a fierce and exciting battle, Tulon Isethinod, Merchant, manages to subdue the ferocious firedrake. (That's him in the cage on the left.) The fortress owes him and his entourage a debt of gratitude. Cat slurry is on the house!

20th timber. Yet another threat to the fortress has been … reduced.

1 Moonstone. Winter this year promises to be a touch cooler than fall was. In other words, it will be sweltering. Today I concluded a profitable trade session with the dwarven caravan. The merchants seemed “ecstatic” with the trade. I think they were ecstatic with still drawing breath. Cmega has been muttering about glass all year long, so I bought some raw glass and some sand. I mean, we're surrounded by sand (and obsidian, and terrifying monsters, but those are beside the point), but I figure he will appreciate the gesture. Now, if only I could strike water this winter, this year would be truly legendary, beneath the slopes of the Least Blazes.

15th Moonstone. I hope our uninvited guest will be comfortable in his new lair, next to the caldera of the volcano.

Dastost Kegethdumat deserves to be named “legendary hauler” for his efforts in relocating our new friend.

4th Opal.

I have designated seven chambers to be dug as the final resting places for the Original Seven. I doubt they will be carved out by the end of this year. The work of a dwarf never ends. Unless she is a trader – ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa....... -chuckle-

18th Opal.

Mountainhome has provided a list of goods that are in high demand there. Strangely, “Dragon” is not on the list. I guess we'll keep him. I hope he doesn't starve, as I have walled him into his new home. Perhaps my successor will unwall him. I would like a three week head start if he does.

13th Obsidian.

The Seven have tombs. They are still rough and unfurnished. They are being smoothed now. Furnishing will come later.

I have also posted a pair of fine sentinels in front of the main entrance to Gravecinders. Serve us well, noble warriors!

14th Obsidian. The humans are making demands of us. How typical of them. I'll let them discus their glass fixation with Cmega. That will be entertaining.

1 Granite 1055. My tenure as Overseer is up. It is time to return to my more mundane pursuits. We managed to survive two vampires, a ghostly former vampire, a dragon, and three diplomats. With no goblin seige and no migrants, it was almost boring, though the arena did liven things up during the summer a bit. I think I will celebrate the end of a year with a nice, juicy cat steak and a couple pints of rum.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2013, 01:33:10 pm »

http://www.gamefront.com/files/23515292/Cyclopian_Succession-spr-1055.rar
EDIT: Posted!

A few notes for the next player.
1) I put notes around the fortress on stockpiles and rooms I thought might need explaining. Some rooms I left without, because either they seemed obvious or because I had no idea what they were. Or I might have been lazy. A couple of my notes are painfully obvious (i.e. I marked the Trade Depot).

2) I forget what else I was going to say. Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:21:58 pm by Ozarck »

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2013, 04:08:05 pm »

well i think we will have to feed the dragon even though its in a cage. I just hope its no longer on fire... if it is might i suggest using the liquids command to put it out?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2013, 05:19:45 pm »

That cage burnt out right after that picture was taken. Then, when he spotted the caravan, he fell into another. He's caged. He hasn't been fed in a month or two, so the next guy should unwall him and do whatever you guys are planning. It's male, so, unless you want to do some radical surgery, I dont think we're getting children from it. I am going to try again to upload the save.

Edit: dffd isn't taking my upload, for some reason. I notice that the saves in the opening post are from another website, and I haven't seen Cyclopean Fortress in the community games section of dffd. What am I missing here?

EDIT: Uploaded!
I hope you guys enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:22:43 pm by Ozarck »

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2013, 06:23:52 pm »

I don't know why dffd is not taking the upload. try a different host? I have an arrangement with game front. ftp access, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage. so far this is the best use i have for it :P

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:52 pm »

That observation has crossed my mind. That's part of why I put the dragon in a room next to the caldera of the volcano.

I did a little wiki-diving. I think you might only need to feed grazers when they are caged, but the wiki was unclear on that.

I look forward to seeing your glass monstrosities works of art. And hopefully you make good use of falafelsandwich's Pit of Execution.
I also hope you do not build the slab to Kib something-or-other, Ghostly Axedwarf. I kinda like having the former vampire mournfully haunting the garbage disposal. Keep an eye out for a second ghost, though. If it isn't forlorn, memorialize it as soon as possible.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2013, 11:46:25 am »

Do what ever you like :P

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2013, 11:51:39 am »

Yeah, lol. My suggestions are just that: suggestions. If you can make a glass Smasher ... now I wish I'd have thought of that! Glass mechanisms, glass lever, glass bridge - it would be legendary! Can you make cages out of glass?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2013, 04:53:01 pm »

Terrariums? What do land-based turtles have to do with anything?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2013, 07:45:14 pm »

I was making a joke abut tortoises. Tortoise, terrarium, tortoise, terrarium.

It wasn't a very good joke.

falafelsandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2013, 09:02:00 pm »

I don't get it.

But also don't want you to explain it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14