Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 14465 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Warhammer 40k
« on: May 27, 2013, 03:36:06 pm »

Anyone here play? The old thread was from 2011.

I've got Tau, and am really liking the new codex. Farsight bodyguard flood plus attaching Shadowsun for her shield drones and stealth and shrouded? I added it all up, and it's 1073 points, for a whole lot of dakka, and a surprising amount of chopping for Tau. As in, if I charge you or get counterattack, you will probably die unless you have stormshields. Or high initiative.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »

I would play it if the stuff wasn't more expensive than crack laced with pure gold.

As such, I am sadly limited to the Dawn of War titles and thinly-veiled references to the Emperor's might.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 03:43:25 pm »

Yeah, that's why I only have the basic stuff right now. :(

I'm getting a summer job, so hopefully that will let me buy it without having to risk burly tattooed men coming to my door wondering where all that money I borrowed went.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 04:17:55 pm »

Yeah, that's why I only have the basic stuff right now. :(

I'm getting a summer job, so hopefully that will let me buy it without having to risk burly tattooed men coming to my door wondering where all that money I borrowed went.
Depends. Might not be enough. 40k armies are 2000-2500 pts standard right now (back then, standard format was 1500pts). May end up costing upwards of 500$, if not more.
I have some tyranids, but it is unlikely I ever get back to it. I mean, the magazine is 8€ a piece. That's nearly 10$. FOR A MAGAZINE.

Also you know the latest trend in 40k?

Gundams.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those are not Titans meant for Apocalypse games. Those are legit options for standard sized 40k games.
Yeah, 40k is now officially "whogotthebiggestone, the tabletop game".
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:19:41 pm »

Ah the Riptide.

Yeah, they're getting ridiculously expensive. Apparently, they doubled the cost of Guardians. From $38 for ten to $37 for five.

I wish the people who played it had the willpower(and lack of money) to boycott them long enough to make the prices go down. It's ridiculous right now, when you consider that a Leman Russ costs the same amount as a historically accurate precisely modeled 100+ piece with etched brass pieces tank.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 06:44:47 pm »

(things)

I'm in the same boat with you, kaian.  Bunch of Tyranids that have been hiding in a box for a while, unlikely to ever unearth them again.  I've noticed the trend towards larger models also, but never dawned on me that they were mimicking Gundam-style mecha.  It makes perfect sense, and it solidifies my desire to never give GW money ever again.

Adding to the pile of ridiculous trends... 

In 6th Ed., True Line-Of-Sight is a thing now.  Because the rules lawyers didn't have enough to split hairs over already. >:(

GW redesigned the *_entire_* paint line, AGAIN.  I grow incredibly weary of committing to a paint scheme only to have critical colours become unavailable in short order.  I really shouldn't have to hoard paint like a squirrel stores acorns.  Sheesh.  I wonder if their paint profits are drawn up on a HP printer ink template...  Nice paints, sure, but wicked expensive by volume.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:22:18 pm »

There are some good model paints not by GW. From what I've heard, they have really good metallics, but there's better(and cheaper) paints for the rest.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:48:11 pm »

With the price of models now a days, i just really buy the books.
if i was going to start wargame again id buy my model from the likes of mantic games
oravatars of war
to have some money left over for beer and food.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:51:50 pm »

I wish I had the time and cash for the game itself, but I do not.  :(

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 09:57:29 pm »

If all my spare money wasn't going towards Magic the Gathering instead, this would be my money-sink hobby of choice. Of course, I still play Soulstorm a ton with a friend of mine, so that's about as much WH40K I do right now.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:59 pm »

I look for WH40k RPG groups via Roll20 whenever I can, but chances are I won't be playing the main game anytime soon. Nobody in my area plays, and although I'd like just a few models to paint and keep on a shelf, they're damn expensive ($15 counting shipping for three space marines is unjustifiable).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 01:40:20 am »

I added it all up, and it's 1073 points, for a whole lot of dakka, and a surprising amount of chopping for Tau. As in, if I charge you or get counterattack, you will probably die unless you have stormshields. Or high initiative.
Tau outchopping orkz? What is this madness?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Zammon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 03:35:58 am »

Speaking of Orkz....

My buddies have been playing for years and finally got me interested. Took me about two years before I finished my army because I didn't feel like I could justify the cost straight up though. Now I can field a 1750 pt army easy and still have some options on the side. It's pretty fun and hilarious to watch a Space Marine set up his 1750 point army when I run out of room on my board edge and he's in a corner or something though.

Also I didn't realize the camera I was using was awful before I had packed up and uploaded to my computer so I'll need to take better pics sometime soon.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 05:49:36 am »

I used to very actively play 40K, but nowadays I merely enjoy the lore and paint the odd figure every now and then. The story and miniatures have always been the highlight of it for me, but when it came to playing the actual game? I was never really that interested.

I absolutely love Orks. I've spent an unjustifiable amount of money on the figures, making sure that I had a lot of boyz and at least 1 of everything else available.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 06:32:50 am »

That's... a lot of orkz.

I have to say I like the lore, books and computer games more then the tabletop - I just don't have the time, money or interest in collecting, modifying and painting that many little figures.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6