Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cancelling Plant Seeds: Needs Plump Helmet Spawn  (Read 829 times)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cancelling Plant Seeds: Needs Plump Helmet Spawn
« on: May 27, 2013, 03:32:26 pm »

I keep getting spammed by the above message, yet my stock shows 200 of them, and no, there are no burrows or locked doors in the way. Anyone have ideas what's causing this?

My farms have been operating just fine, so I know they have access to them, but the constant spam is really annoying.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelling Plant Seeds: Needs Plump Helmet Spawn
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:07:59 pm »

common issue. The haulers see a spawn somewhere and take the whole bag to go pick it up, making the farmer cancel his job.

I forgot how to actually reduce the cancelation spawn
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:09:58 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Garun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 05:33:23 pm »

This constantly happens to me too...

My theory is that all the dwarves with farming enabled will simultaneously receive the command to gather seeds, and by default will receive the command for maybe the closest seed or something... but obviously the first dwarf there grabs the seed, and so when the others arrive they get the cancellation message because their inital goal has disappeared, so the spam comes across a few times, and they end up grabbing seeds anyway.

But yeah, like I said that's just my theory. I'm interested as to why this happens as well.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 05:39:38 pm »

common issue. The haulers see a spawn somewhere and take the whole bag to go pick it up, making the farmer cancel his job.

I forgot how to actually reduce the cancelation spawn

Oh, I see, thanks a lot! Should be easily fixable then by putting in a second stockpile so haulers don't grab the bags near the farmers first.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 07:36:43 pm »

Turning off bins storage thingy in your seed only stockpile can help.

Edit: fixed
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:42:20 pm by kingubu »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 09:05:08 pm »

Turning off bins in your seed only stockpile can help.
Barrels actually, seed bags are not stored in bins.  you'll still get some spam but at least you wont have issues of your haulers dragin the barrle with all your seeds on a fortress tour eveyr other day.

Other way to cut down on the spam is to setup 2 seed stockpiles.  set the larger primary one to only accept items from links.  For the secondary pile set it to take from anywhere and give to the main stockpile.   Now when a spawn showes up in your dining room/brewery the dwarvs should try to put it first into the secondary pile, which shouldnt have anything in it for long so no bag for world tour.  once the spawn arrives in the secondary stockpile a new job will trigger moveing it over into the main one.  Now the bag will be picked up to move that spawn into it but if the piles are next to eachother it should only be in transit for a few seconds reduceing the likely hood of cancelation spam.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:53:44 am »

Alright. No matter how cleverly I arrange stockpiles, it doesn't change the fact that the haulers are grabbing up the containers to get the seeds before the farmers get to them. Any other ideas? My Soundsense is going crazy with cancellation noises and my log is spammed full of this.

Edit: Combo of the suggestions here and reducing number of farmers and telling it to only let farmers harvest has helped (mostly) with this particular message... now I'm still getting cancel spam from them trying to pick up a corpse out of the danger room and cancelling it every time the spears alternate. Maybe I'll just forbid those things in there... but that will cause miasma... ugh.

Edit 2: Finally! Isolated the pressure plate running the danger room spears with walls/doors so I could disable it when needed by cutting off traffic flow. Made it easy to let them clean the room when needed. Thanks, guys.

Edit 3: Still getting some "job item misplaced" spam. Is there no way to get the game to actually tell you what item is causing you the spam?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:07:32 am by Dwarf_Fever »

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 06:28:08 am »

In most cases it's because the dwarf was going to pick up something that has been moved before he got there, and he can't locate it.  For example, a miner sees a pick he wants in a bin in a weapons stockpile, so he goes there to pick it up.  Meanwhile, another dwarf takes the bin containing the pick to the forges to add a new item to the bin.  By the time the miner gets there, the bin he wanted to loot is gone and he doesn't know where it is (the other dwarf is carrying it) so he generates that message.However, the miner immediately tries finding another pick again, and chooses one from another bin in the same stockpile.