Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: I dream of Chicken and Glass  (Read 9423 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: I dream of Chicken and Glass
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2013, 02:18:33 pm »

You mean AMD drivers. ;)

ATI was bought up by AMD some time ago, and they no longer really call any of their offerings ATI anymore.

Otherwise, I agree though. Their windows drivers are horrible. Seriously, why do they use a kludge like .net to write their drivers!? Can't thy just use the win32api, and the microsoft C compiler?! Their code would run much faster, and use far fewer dependencies, and as such, be much leaner and less prone to having issues.

But noooooo. They drank the .net koolaid, and now their drivers suck balls.

Don't even get me started on the way they handle their driver packs.

My latest home build is an intel i7 with a sexy nVidia PCIe 16x in it. Works great.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2013, 12:36:09 am »

Well, most of the problems seem to be behind me.  I am now educating myself on one thing at a time.

Right now, I'm focusing on the agricultural arts.  I need yet learn many things.  What's an efficient way of setting up the food processing and production lines?  Should I just build, in example, 3 still stations, and then put a single plant pile there, and trigger it for everything?  Separate piles for each plant?  There are some plants I want to both mill and brew, in example.  How can I ensure both stations get an equal ration of the plant?  Is it worthwhile to heavily process foods?  I know it adds to the value, but do the dwarves even care?  Do they distinguish between a crushed mouse corpse and a luxury meal made from fine flour, milk, eggs, and whiskey?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2013, 10:32:31 am »

Eh, if you turn down finely minced mouse brain prepared by the best cooks in the world you don't have good taste in food.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2013, 01:25:02 pm »

Heh.  Probably!

Still trying to get a handle on an effective military.  I had one recent round (yesterday?) where I had a six man squad up in the second year, encased and equipped with iron armor and weapons, had them training, and sent them out to confront a goblin ambush.

I lost every single one.   My militaries stink for some reason.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2013, 01:35:54 pm »

Heh.  Probably!
And that was coming from someone who doesn't have good taste in food :P

Still trying to get a handle on an effective military.  I had one recent round (yesterday?) where I had a six man squad up in the second year, encased and equipped with iron armor and weapons, had them training, and sent them out to confront a goblin ambush.

I lost every single one.   My militaries stink for some reason.
Need more than six Dwarves with a year of training to call it a military. Have a good core of conscripts, large number of them too. Either through extended training or through the fires of war, eventually they'll all become first rate soldiers. If it worked for the Sumerians, it'll work for your Dwarves.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2013, 02:39:47 pm »

My main issue is I don't like to cut corners.  So no falling seed traps or danger rooms.  Even if it means I gotta figure out other ways of impaling cats and infants.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2013, 03:00:38 pm »

By training I meant actual training, through demonstrations, sparring and live combat.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2013, 03:03:59 pm »

I once embarked on a place that had easy access to lignite, chalk, and iron ore.  I made tons of steel.  In year two I had a squad of six encased in steel, and a simple goblin ambush  destroyed them all.

I think perhaps my problem is I generate too much wealth too quickly, thus bringing in worse foes.  Is this a thing that happens?  Should I stick to living and eating dirt until I have stronger defenses?   

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2013, 04:14:14 pm »

A squad of six Dwarves is just six Dwarves in fancy armour. Now, fifty Dwarves in fancy armour...

Dorflord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2013, 04:39:57 pm »

Is it worthwhile to heavily process foods?  I know it adds to the value, but do the dwarves even care?  Do they distinguish between a crushed mouse corpse and a luxury meal made from fine flour, milk, eggs, and whiskey?

In addition to the added value, if a dwarf eats a prepared meal with one ingredient that they prefer to consume (Check the status screen) they will get the "has had a wonderful/fantastic/other adjective meal lately. This is a nice way to improve the odds that the meal your dwarf chooses to eat (the closest item in absolute distance[ignoring walls etc.]) will be a meal that gives them a happy thought. For this reason, I like to ensure that my fortresses produce or import as many varieties of food as possible and set everything to cookable (except seeds) in the kitchen menu. Beware that cooked plants yield no seeds, so I usually keep 50 or so seeds of types I grow forbidden. I also forbid the cooking of any booze, as many a fort in my control has fallen from Urist Ramsey churning out *Quarry Leaf Roasts* made with swamp whiskey. Whiskey, whiskey, everywhere and not a drop to drink.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:45:15 pm by Dorflord »
Those dwarves were DOOMED to murder each other horribly, because they became friends!
Unlike in My Little Pony Land, where Friendship is Magic!(tm), This is Dwarf Fortress, where Friendship is TRAGIC!(tm)

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2013, 04:44:26 pm »

Something else I wonder about:  Crossbow weapon traps.  Do they fire bolts, or are the crossbows simply swung about in club fashion?  If they DO shoot, can they target and hit creatures not normally vulnerable to traps?  Like forgotten beasts?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2013, 04:55:06 pm »

Oh the shoot. They shoot good. Though they won't hit fbs unless the trap is webbed. Even then, webbers'll get through.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2013, 05:04:24 pm »

fbs?  Also, do they shoot at things a few squares away from the trap?  Or just what stands on the trap?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2013, 05:07:25 pm »

1. Forgotten beasts [usually FBs but I forgot]
2. Just on the tile.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2013, 05:23:26 pm »

If I wound a Forgotten Beast via some other method, they could still be hit by traps then, correct?  Like if they collapse on one?  I just want to verify that they aren't completely immune.  And if they ARE, is it that the weapons fire, but do no damage, or that the Forgotten Beasts is so Forgotten that the trap Forgets to fire?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7