Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: I dream of Chicken and Glass  (Read 9438 times)

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I dream of Chicken and Glass
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 02:39:48 am »

Urist mcForumite cancels writing reply.
Whackjob has gone berserk!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 05:38:20 am »

Your Fortress died better than most have lived, for sure.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 06:14:20 am »

Lastly, do consider moving it to a different hard drive

Consider loading and running DF on a USB thumb drive?
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:30 am »

that was a fun read, thank you!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:11 am »

That sounds like a terrible idea... I wouldn't trust the speed of USB-to-cache-to-motherboard, unless it's a brand new USB3.0 - then, maybe. Just maybe. I've had a lot of negative experiences with all things USB.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 11:11:31 am »

That sounds like a terrible idea... I wouldn't trust the speed of USB-to-cache-to-motherboard, unless it's a brand new USB3.0 - then, maybe. Just maybe. I've had a lot of negative experiences with all things USB.

People do this all the time without any trouble on USB 2.0.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 12:24:13 am »

I've lucked out, really.  I can run just fine, now that it's full screen.  The issue appears to be completely gone.

Tomorrow, I have a full day to myself.  Planning a very dwarvish trap building binge.  My second idea-from-the-powers-that-be has already struck.

Currently under construction is "Trapnest, death of the gods".   I do not yet have a source of good metal.  However, by forcing my carpenter to run around the clock creating wooden spiked balls, he has quickly become legendary and is churning out these implements at delightfully horrifying speed.  My tunnel down is already ringed with traps.  My corridors are being outfitted now.  I shall fear no crazed dwarf.  My fortress shall be self-culling, if not self-cleaning.

Once I get my layers sorted out, and start a mine-deeper shaft,  I plan on utilizing a death bridge.  The idea being that I'll have a bridge about 50 paces long, one pace wide, and with traps the entire length.  On either side, a drop three to five paces down.  And down there?  Each delectable square will be bristling with my legendary carpenter's spikes.

I know now that not all enemies will be caught by them.  However, I do have the impression that even those that might ignore or dodge them cannot do so at full speed.  My primary military force will be crossbowmen.

I look forward to tomorrow to see how it pans out.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2013, 09:31:35 am »

So far things seem to be going better than I have any right to expect.  Food and booze stocks are flush.  Every tier of my proto-fortress have a ring of traps around the central stairwell.  I've set up shop in a very level area, and there's ponds everywhere, so I'm setting up traps around the ponds in a way that'll catch anything approaching the fortress.

The traps, despite using wooden spiked balls, appear to be quite effective.  I think I can thank my carpenter for that, as I've had him cranking those out for so long that he's been legendary for quite some time.  Those must be some very high quality balls.

My first trade caravan came, and I offloaded a box of balls in return for all his food and drink and cloth and leather and steel and anvils.  After they departed, I was subjected to my first goblin ambush.  I set off my GET TO DA CHOPPA alert, and my Dwarves leisurely headed underground.  No complaints, since that's where the beds and booze are.  The goblins killed a stray Yak I had topside, then headed towards my entrance like a guided missile.  A spray of goblin parts heralded their arrival.  The rest of the group showed appreciable wisdom by turning tail and running away at high speed until they were clear off the map.

Trapnest, death of gods, continues.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2013, 10:53:22 am »

*used to work in IT*

The issue sounds much more like GPU overheating. Hard to imagine DF overtaxing a discrete GPU though. I don't suppose you would be willing to look for an invasion of ravenous dust bunnies clogging up your GPU's cooling fan and heatsink, would you?

Before opening the box though, replicate the crash by putting the video mode back, then after the rebot, jump into the nvidia control panel applet thing and get the reported core temp?

If the chip is overheating from obstructed cooling, you need to remedy the situation promptly and not just work around the problem, or you will end up having to buy a new card, and possibly a new system board. (Lost an old athlon machine that way. Melted GPU held the IO of the AGP bus open, and it did very bad things to the bus controller, killing the motherboard.)

Don't want to cause panic or anything. Just stress the card a little, and check the reported temp.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 11:00:06 am »

Pretty sure it isn't GPU overheating.  Less than a month ago I had my machine taken apart and new thermal paste applied to both processors and vid cards.

Also, in the control panel, I'm not seeing where I can find the temps.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 01:04:29 pm »

Truth be told, since it was worked on recently that DOES worry me.  Not enough paste?  None?  Pants silver paste with no silver?  Not mounted well?  Not cleaned well?  Sticky residue left after assembly that made for RAPID dust-bunny-splosion?  I seldom put gospel faith in my own work, much less anyone else's.  Humans being the weakest link in the process, and all that.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 01:17:02 pm »

Pretty sure it isn't GPU overheating.  Less than a month ago I had my machine taken apart and new thermal paste applied to both processors and vid cards.

Also, in the control panel, I'm not seeing where I can find the temps.

get a 3rd party utility
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 01:41:43 pm »

alternatively, it could be a 'low power' condition if during service, the technicians neglected/forgot to reconnect the card's discrete power cable.

Modern nVidia cards need the added juice or they suffer power related problems when the card warms up. (Still a thermal problem, but one that normal cooling solutions would never be able to address, which is why nVidia just drives a higher voltage.) On windows, the driver will complain mightily of this was the case though. Just something to double check on.

As for where to look, I am rather spoiled by the linux drivers, which list that information on the xorg driver config applet.

Any number of 3rd party tools should be able to get the SMBUS data from the card's thermistor though.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 02:06:25 pm »

Are all your fans running nice/ fast/ quiet?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2013, 02:55:10 pm »

Fans will turn on if I run something very intensive.  I can run high demand games on quite high settings without trouble.  The fans do not kick on when I run DF.  In example, if I put max everything on Borderlands 2, including the PhysX option, the fans will come on and run quite vigorously.  But even so, the system will run on without issue.  This is why I doubt the initial problem was heat related.

And as far as Trapnest goes, that empire also had been sundered.

I'm ignoring a weakness of mine.  I suppose.  I really ought to get more familiar with the operation and handling and equipping and training of an actual military force.

So, I will return to the chicken-and-glass concept, and this time, just build a military and learn from it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7