Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: I dream of Chicken and Glass  (Read 9419 times)

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I dream of Chicken and Glass
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 03:33:24 pm »

*appreciative clap*  Thank you.

ClearedChannels is doing better.  I've got an alcove hacked out that is now growing mushrooms.  The first clutch of chicken eggs have hatched.  I missed the ten messages saying they've hatched, but I couldn't miss the amazing amount of little red "c"'s running about.  I tasked them all to go back to the main breeding chamber.  I may add a few more nest boxes.  But at the rate they're being filled, I'll soon be three Z's deep in chicken parts.

The glass is going well.  I've got one migrant burning cactus all day long for coal.  And my glass smith alternates between bagging sand and cranking out green glass serrated discs.

The whole colony turned out to see the first trap installed.  The overall layout of the colony is quite simple.  A main central stair with four sets in a square leads down.  Rooms branch off.  First level, nothing yet.  Though I imagine I'll have my militia trainees here.  Second layer down, chicken and mushrooms.  Third layer, housing, dining.  The layer under I believe I'll leave alone and cistern it.  A well for both the hospital and dining room.  It may be all chickens and fine glass for now, but ashes later.  Prepare.  Bad times come.  The first trap went outside, right next to the main stair down.  I'll ring it, then ring the stairs in each level.  As whatever chases my Dwarves follow, they'll be sliced to ribbons.

Now a technical question.  I hear that there are enemies unaffected by any sort of trap.  Is this true?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 03:45:07 pm »

Now a technical question.  I hear that there are enemies unaffected by any sort of trap.  Is this true?

Are you sure you want to know? :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 03:46:57 pm »

Appreciated.  I am quite familiar with the happy-fun-stuff.

I suppose I will have to indulge in a standing military.  The traps will still be made and meant for incidentals.

Hrm.  Perhaps glass tipped spears?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 03:53:29 pm »

I suppose I will have to indulge in a standing military.  The traps will still be made and meant for incidentals.

Trap-immune only applies to triggered traps. This means anything controlled with a lever (such as spear trap) will work nicely. Alternatively, if you can knock out your quarry, you can stun them and then they are suddenly vulnerable to attacks. A simple set up is a support, with a few floors on top, connected to a lever and surrounded by cage traps. Pull the lever. Collect cage :)

Also, bridges. Nothing (at least without wings) is immune from falling off a bridge.

More esoteric options are magma landmines, immolation chambers, drowning chambers, pressure washing and obsidian casting.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 03:54:28 pm »

Kobolds happily waltz over traps, also any siegers from a civilization that has diplomats which have spotted your traps, will be immune to them.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 04:08:40 pm »

Ah, my first minor emergency.  I wasn't expecting to set up booze production right away, as I wanted the chickens to be secured away and at work prior.  This I had done, but decided to take the time out to set up some comfortable accommodations.  Even the lowliest of my dwarves get living spaces that are the envy of others.

I notice a blue arrow.  Then more blue arrows.  Calamity!  Despite having loaded up on a serious amount of extra booze, the stocks have gone dry.  Luckily I have crafted buckets and there is close water source that has already been designated for drinking.

Obviously, that's when winter sets in and everything freezes.  I panic and assign a new brewer in addition to the first that is already working hard at nothing.  My brew factory is mostly put together, creating mushrooms for that purpose, but the stills are quiet and containers have not been fabricated.  I'm cranking out stone pots now. 

This is going to be close.  I'm pondering the feasibility of alcoholic chicken blood.

#EDIT:  And of course, in the usual fashion, the leatherman migrant I designated to help with the booze problem has suddenly had a strange mood.  Leather won't be a problem.  I think.

ClearedChannels is about to have either its first murder spree or its first legendary chicken leather item.

#EDIT2:  Well.  So far it's not looking good.  He wants leather and stone blocks.  Blocks are simple.  Leather SHOULD be simple.  I had two pieces made and trying to make more, but it's not happening.  I designate three grown chickens to be butchered.  And then it doesn't happen.  After a quick examination I note that I had my butcher moonlighting as a brewer. 

So my options seem to be either to die from thirst or die by maniac.  Well.  It seems that quite soon now I can expect some fun.

#EDIT3: Nil Shorastilral has begun a mysterious construction!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:30:35 pm by Whackjob »

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »

Nil Shorastilral has created onoror Ersodel, a buzzard leather shield!

This is a buzzard leather shield.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with oval gabbro cabochons.  This object menaces with spikes of buzzard leather and chicken leather.  On the item is an image of a sweet pod in buzzard leather.

Value 8,040*.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 05:42:08 pm »

My moody dwarf taken care of, I set about remedying the issue of the startling lack of booze and munchables.  Additionally, I have a few basic industrial rooms set up, so I deconstruct the things I had topside and move them below decks.  I put together an appreciatively effective system of routes using mine carts.  Sans tracks.  I have no qualms letting the dwarves pick up minecarts full of timber, and stone, and stone jugs full of booze, and prepared meals.  It'll toughen them up.  I'm still putting together a good empty-stone-jars return system that'll keep the producers flush with available containers.

Then disaster strikes.  The number of immigrants that suddenly arrive outnumber my current population.  How did this happen?  I don't even have a trading depot yet.  Didn't see the need.  Did that annoying person from the Dwarvholmes spread the word about this place? 

I think I'm going to put most of these chumps into subsistence production.  I need more booze ingredients, more things for meals, maybe another butcher in preparation for the chickens maturing.

Hrm.  No invasions yet, via actual enemies or thieves.  But the word is getting out.  I might draft two into the military and get to work equipping them.  I think a squad of lancers with legendary leather armor and pikes of glass will do.

#EDIT:  My hospital is mostly built.  I set the number of medical supplies I intend to stock, and placed chests multiple.  And elfen caravan approaches.  I am in no hurry to build a trading depot, especially given the current company.  Yet I was treated to Dwarven behavior most ingenious.  Most all of my Dwarves approached the caravan, and carried away threads to stock the hospital with.  I do not think they paid.  I like to think they were told that we had had some kind of calamity, and was imposing on their good nature and unwillingness to leave the forest to confirm our words.  The end result is I do not have to suffer elfin company and the hospital has many threads for sutures at no cost to me. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:01:12 pm by Whackjob »

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 06:47:25 pm »

I made a place for my two milita dwarves to start wrestling.  The new captain showed his adeptness for the work by picking up the commander and killing him by slamming him into the wall.

Hail the new militia commander!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 07:33:59 pm »

Trap-immune only applies to triggered traps. This means anything controlled with a lever (such as spear trap) will work nicely.

I recommend menacing green glass spikes, preferably with bodies impaled on them.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 07:57:07 pm »

Trap-immune only applies to triggered traps. This means anything controlled with a lever (such as spear trap) will work nicely.

I recommend menacing green glass spikes, preferably with bodies impaled on them.
Indeed. I am using such a trap (behind forbidden doors) to deal with theives. I had a wave of at least 10 at once, this should deal with them. Although it is funny when goblin thieves go through my weapon traps.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 08:38:26 pm »

There are too many of us now.  The housing is a constant issue.  No sooner do I have half the new immigrants housed than another, larger batch arrive.  Food and drink has been remedied, but we are constantly beset by thieves.  My green glass traps have been woefully neglected.  It is an annoyance that bags are required.  They always seem, when more are made, to be appropriated for other reasons.

My militia is up to six.  I've traded once, and managed to net six steel anvils, which I promptly melted down into spears for my militia.  Leather, for now, for everything else.  I set them after one kobold thief that looked none too quick.  A recruit caught up to him, at first, and threw away his spear, preferring to grapple.  He was rewarded for his efforts by a few well placed hits whereupon he had a dagger shoved into the back of his neck, chipping the bone.  He has not been recovered yet.  I note with some small annoyance that my traction tables have still not been built.  I will have to look into that.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 08:59:01 pm »

As I had feared.  A vile force of darkness has arrived.  I am not prepared.

It is time for some fun.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 09:22:01 pm »

Well.  This tale came to an end quicker than I would have liked.  At first, I kept everyone underground, waiting for the intruders to find the opening to my domain.  It at least had a ring of those glass traps.  I figured, it would wound greatly what they did not kill.  Perhaps my proto-militia could have taken them so wounded.

It wasn't meant to be.  The invaders merely milled about, showing quite a bit of disinterest.  I sent my militia nearby, hoping I could get them to chase them back to the traps.

Dwarves are terrible about following orders.  They immediately waded into the fray, immediately being cut down.  All excepting my wonderful predecessor-killing militia commander, who bravely directed the slaughter of his own men from a safe distance back.  After seeing to the death of his men, he obeyed my order and returned to the barracks.  The goblin siege stalled.

The population was muttering, completely dissatisfied with the conduct of the commander.  A brewer somehow managed to drop him with a solid punch, took his spear from him, and inexplicably took off with it.  The goblins chose then to descend.

Now, I had my line of traps, but they had their gaps.  To goblins found most, losing only two of their number to a spray of shimmering green and crimson that I imagine even the most elfish of fools could have enjoyed.  They found my commander, still on his back, and finished the work.

Within minutes, I went from a population of over a hundred down to one.  One single soul.  I imagined him or her to be crazy, distraught, probably drinking booze.  I use my unit menu to locate this brave soul.

It is an infant, presumably stashed away by a parent hoping for the best, amoungst the stone mechanisms that were awaiting the green glass serrated discs that never came.  I waited a while, to see if a roving goblin could administer the coup de grace, but it didn't happen.

With a heavy heart, I turned away from my colony.  There is no rescue.  I pity the child.  Poor kid; You deserve a far better tomb than this.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 09:25:41 pm »

Well, time to summarize.  I don't know whether it was the INI change, or the magical gods of operating system stability, or going to full screen.  But it seems I can play without interruption, now.

But, given this predictable, yet amusing, failure, it seems I've got a lot of ladder tobacco to slap together if my next colony is going to be up to snuff.

See ya'll dwarfside.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7