Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Related Roles with Skill Acquisition  (Read 369 times)

aocarson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Related Roles with Skill Acquisition
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:50:39 pm »

Hello all,

I know that any dorf can be set to have any labor and they'll start doing, and learning it.  However in Dwarf Therapist I've noticed that if you mouse over a labor, it will give into about "Related Roles."  Such as under Hunting, it will give a % for Hunter and Ambuser.  Will my dwarfs learn faster/better if they have a high percentage in some "related role?"

Thanks,
AOC

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Related Roles with Skill Acquisition
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 04:17:39 am »

Related roles isn't anything to do with learning or skills or anything like that. I think all it's showing you is what role names that skill affects - like how if you add the Miner labour to a dwarf with no skills, eventually his job name changes from "Peasant" to "Miner" and you get an announcement saying "Urist has become a Miner" or whatever. It's just Therapist showing you how that name is derived, I think.

aocarson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:29 am »

Thanks for the reply.  Can you confirm a similar question for the military?  I assign all the swordsdwarfs and hammerdwarfs, but if I just assign a random person without any beginning skill, will they just become wrestlers or will they pick a weapon and get better at it?  I feel like I've assigned dwarfs without any archery skills to my archers and they just end up as wrestlers.  Maybe it's different between archer and melee squads?

Thanks!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 12:23:18 pm »

if archers don't train at a range they'll bcome wrestlers, or possibly hammerdwarfs if they decide to use the crossbow as club. If in the uniform you put own choice of melee weapon, they'll prefer to swing the weapon instead of wrestling
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.