Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floodgates best/only remote door/airlock?  (Read 1294 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
Floodgates best/only remote door/airlock?
« on: May 26, 2013, 11:08:52 am »

Hi there, ive been playing for a few years now so not a total noob, just a bit noob now.  Are floodgates the only real way to have remote doors/seals or is there other things that could be used instead?

I thought floodgates were something (irl) for waterways yet it seems to be the best thing(that i know of) for remote locking of areas/passages..

Is there anything else to use or are floodgates the main way to do these things?

Thx for look, foil

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Floodgates best/only remote door/airlock?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:11:14 am »

Doors?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:13:15 am »

Bridges are more secure, although they take more time to set up and aren't instantaneously opened shut [not really a problem except on microscale projects. Hatches and doors coupled with strategic placing can create indestructible posterns, and can be linked to levers. Floodgates are just one of many useful dividers.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:21:26 am »

Can you link doors to levers and are they able to stop enemies coming in during raids?

It was mostly for remote closure of the entrances to the fort or traps for dealing with raids.

EDIT:
Damn it it says on the wiki lol, i take it they are as effective as floodgates at stopping ai except building destroyers
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:25:21 am by foil »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:23:19 am »

Can you link doors to levers and are they able to stop enemies coming in during raids?
For the first, yes. If attached to a lever a door can only be opened by a lever. It can be broken by building-destroyers, but so can floodgates.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:26:09 am »

Bridges probably the best.  Doors, hatches, and flood gates can be put on levers as well, but are more easily destroyed by building destroyers.

Though a door can be manually locked *before* invaders pass it to keep them out at least temporarily.  Snatchers can pick locks, but ambushers and such cannot bypass locked doors.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:46:03 am »

Ah ok thanks, when saying that you can only open the door on a lever, does it stay open when lever is switched back?  Or does it just undo the lock flag and stays unlocked after?

Im just about to attempt my 1st megaproject and wondering if id been doing it right so far lol.

About building destroyers, do you get ones that fly and would be able to smash through glass and get inside?

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 12:55:34 pm »

I typically have a 2 layer gate system in my forts. I have doors, which I immediately lock (not using a level, you can lock them by looking at them with 'q' if I remember right). I then queue a lever pull to close the bridge behind those doors. If someone takes his time with sealing the bridges, the doors will hold them back for a little while. And doors are exceptional at stopping most invaders anyway.

Although having a forbidden (locked) hatch above a ramp works well too, since building destroyers can't destroy buildings above them, and the hatch blocks them from getting on the same level.

The more layers of defense the better. Someone will inevitably jam a door / hatch / floodgate open, rendering that entire layer of defense useless. Even if your secondary layer of defense are just destructible doors, that should buy enough time to react appropriately.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:28:18 pm by BoredVirulence »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:36:53 pm »

Although having a FORBIDDEN hatch above a ramp works well too, since building destroyers can't destroy buildings above them, and the hatch blocks them from getting on the same level.

FTFY, unforbidden hatches can be destroyed from below! Also I'm fairly certain that even a forbidden hatch can be destroyed from below if the building destroyer in question (let's say Em the troll for the purposes of this argument) could theoretically take a different path from the underside of the hatch, going around the hatch, and arriving at the top. Need to be extra careful when using hatches!

I'd just go with bridges myself as it's safer. If you're using them for megaprojects involving fluid or minecarts and some other kind of machinery, then it's okay and potentially preferable to go with non-bridges just because of the 99-tick delay, but these sort of things should be sealed up with constructed walls and should not have creatures actually in them. (Unless it's some kind of logic gate using creatures, and even then, you probably should not use building destroyers. Elves work just fine.)
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 05:05:37 pm »

Ah ok thanks, when saying that you can only open the door on a lever, does it stay open when lever is switched back?  Or does it just undo the lock flag and stays unlocked after?

Linking a door to a lever causes it to act like a floodgate, basically: pull the lever once to open it, again to close it, and that's the only way to open or close that door.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.