Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need help armouring my miners  (Read 1694 times)

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help armouring my miners
« on: May 26, 2013, 11:06:09 am »

I want to get my miners to wear steel armour so they won't get killed easily when entering caverns. Doesn't hurt that they are extremely deadly in combat using picks, either.

Anyway, I'm having problems doing this. Some of them don't seem to want to equip any equipment at all. Some are holding multiple picks in each hand...

And I believe I saw a known bug in action. The one where they drop all their pick and go to find a different one if ordered to attack something.

And they don't seem interested in mining now, despite being inactive as a squad.

Please advise. I don't necessarily want to use them as active military. I mostly want to keep them alive.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help armouring my miners
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:29 am »

Miners and wood cutters both have their own "uniform" that they default to when mining or chopping trees.  It overrides whatever uniform you've chosen for them, unfortunately. 

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:11:58 am »

So is there no way to make the mining uniform include armour?

Could I edit a raw file to make it happen?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:15:55 am by DG123 »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:51:53 am »

I think DFHack could theoretically do it, but as far as I know there's no existing tool to do it.  Unforunately, there's no way to mod the game to change the built in uniforms.

One possible work around for this is modding clothing.  You could mod clothing in that acts as armor but don't have the armor tokens.  That way miners would pick them up and wear them.  The problems here are that other dwarves would pick them up too, and the armor would wear out like clothing.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:27:41 pm »

I think DFHack could theoretically do it, but as far as I know there's no existing tool to do it.  Unforunately, there's no way to mod the game to change the built in uniforms.

One possible work around for this is modding clothing.  You could mod clothing in that acts as armor but don't have the armor tokens.  That way miners would pick them up and wear them.  The problems here are that other dwarves would pick them up too, and the armor would wear out like clothing.

I can just imagine a soldiers armour rotting away in combat now... and I'm laughing as they are cut apart by the many elves they challenged. I am a sadist... is that normal?

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:31:45 pm »

The odd thing is I've seen several threads discussing armoured miners... At least one person seemed to have done it somehow.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 02:28:20 pm »

Are you sure they weren't talking about armored miners used as warriors?  Some players take their legendary miners off mining duty and use them in the military due to the mining skill also being used as a combat stat for picks.  In those cases, since the player isn't worried about mining with that particular dwarf anymore, there's no issue with the armor. 

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:30:12 pm »

Ah, that is possible, yes.

So what does happen exactly if I have miners with armour on and then I remove them from their squad? They dump the armour?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:32:44 pm »

I could swear I've seen them carry at least a shield when off duty and digging . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:53:58 pm »

It might work to give them candy clothes, but I don't know if they keep the strength.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 04:52:32 pm »

You could use DFHack's "forceequip" command to stick armor on your miners without their consent, if you can figure out how to use it and, probably more difficult, how to make it work in Fortress mode.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 06:12:30 pm »

I am a sadist... is that normal?

Around here?  No, you are normal for Bay12 standards.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 07:12:02 pm »

You could use DFHack's "forceequip" command to stick armor on your miners without their consent, if you can figure out how to use it and, probably more difficult, how to make it work in Fortress mode.

Ah, I read about that somewhere. So... it's intended for adventurer mode?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 07:43:34 pm »

Ah, that is possible, yes.

So what does happen exactly if I have miners with armour on and then I remove them from their squad? They dump the armour?

They'll drop their armor if you take them out of the squad or if they go off duty.  They may only drop their gear if they have a dig job, I'm not sure.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 08:25:11 pm »

here's the workaround thread mentioned earlier; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93969.0
Pages: [1] 2