Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heroes of Might and Magic / Might and Magic: Heroes  (Read 3274 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Heroes of Might and Magic / Might and Magic: Heroes
« on: May 26, 2013, 04:55:32 am »

AKA the game series that made people's childhoods. (myself included)

Until Ubisoft came along with this chickenshit Heroes of Might and Magic Might and Magic: Heroes VI.

Anyone here who also played this?
I can't be the only one, can I? This is like the best turn-based strategy game ever (primarily 3 and 4 - yea, I actually liked HoMM4, how do you like that?).

Also, been working on that. (people from Games You Wish Existed thread might recognize it)

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
Re: Heroes of Might and Magic / Might and Magic: Heroes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 05:17:27 am »

HoMM3 and WOG.You will probably get all your HoMM needs out of those.Also,anybody else remember The Forge Town ?

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 06:47:13 am »

HoMM3 and WOG.You will probably get all your HoMM needs out of those.Also,anybody else remember The Forge Town ?

The famous HOTA team is doing i think the forge town.

Also, i still play this game every month or two for over hmm 14 years now (not counting the older heroes)? Man, this is one of best games for me, nothing better than friends coming and playing little hot seat, and thanks to WOG and HOTA, the game is still new
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:55:44 am by ragnar119 »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 06:49:09 am »

Step 1: Download Tunngle.
Step 2: donload Heroes of Might and Magic III
Step 3: Organize games.
Step 4: Have just as much fun now as when it just came out.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 10:21:13 am »

I've heard the latest releases aren't that great. Played a bunch of the earlier ones though and had a lot of fun, and sometimes even got to play em multiplayer.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 10:55:15 am »

V was actually pretty legit. The gold edition, that is. That's also why I'm giving VI like... two more years or so. Game will probably still lack the spark, though...

Looking objectively at things, V has more interesting gameplay than III, but III builds a far more compelling world.

Either way, this series has been an huge influence on me.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 01:44:03 pm »

VI feels kind of underwhelming. I don't know why. I've played the series off and on since 2, really dug V. IV just doesn't feel as random for some reason. I got through the Griffon campaign and just kind of stopped.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 12:27:04 pm »

Ohh, guess I missed this at the time. Just wanted to throw in my needless $.02, but I got III from a friend in college, played the hell out of it. I don't usually mind changing up a franchise but IV just looked shoddy and half-done all over, so I couldn't get into it. V was pretty fun until I bumped up the difficulty a bit and it became either "read a walkthrough and follow exactly" or "play every mission 4 times" so I kinda lost patience during the dwarf campaign. VI reminded me of IV for some reason, so I shuffled it to the bottom of my on-sale list.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 02:31:06 pm »

IV was the strangest of the series and that was before Ubi took it over. 5 brought things back more similar to 3, though for some reason I didn't enjoy it much.

I know the first 4 are on GoG.com cheap.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 03:42:29 pm »

Does anybody feel like getting a grand Heroes III game going?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 04:52:16 pm »

Ah, Heroes III, I've played that so much with both my brother and my sister. Never could properly beat the computer, mostly because the computer could be arsed building new heroes and spending what would be ungodly amounts of time for a human player getting all creatures from dwellings every week. :P

People should try out the games that spawned the Heroes series as well, the original Might and Magics. I've played VII and VIII, great RPG's, both of them.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 06:26:06 pm »

I honestly have no clue what kind of game HoMM is.  Before my time, really.  Can anyone fill me in?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »

I honestly have no clue what kind of game HoMM is.  Before my time, really.  Can anyone fill me in?

It's a turn-based mix of 4X and Warcraft 3.

You start with a castle and can build upgrades and buildings linked to that castle that produce creatures that join your RPG-esque general as he takes to the field conquering stuff. Lands around the castles have claim-able buildings that supply additional creatures, hero stats, or resources to your kingdom total. There are neutral armies to conquer and enemy generals doing the same thing you are. Each game has its own take on it, but that's the core of the series right there.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 08:36:18 pm »

Countless hours spent on HoMM III.

HoMM IV, not so much.  But, only got that recently, sister(who also spent the time on HoMM III) is of the same opinion.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 08:40:14 pm »

I think 2 was my favorite in the series. Same game as 1 but with better graphics.
Pages: [1] 2