Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Necropia: Adventurer Succession Survival Game (Players Wanted!)  (Read 21910 times)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: Necropia: Adventurer Succession Survival Game (Players Wanted!)
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 05:28:30 am »

Only 14 in game days? I read that wrong, I thought I had 14 RL days. Eek!

This could be tricky. I have made my guy quite strong and haven't done many quests but I am already at 12 days and just leaving civilisation. Mad dash across the mountains without sleeping would seem to be my best chance.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

jmnmaui

• Bay Watcher
  • Makin' stuff fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 05:34:06 pm »

If possible I'd like a chance at this. Can I get on the turn list?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2013, 08:42:37 pm »

Final Part of my Story.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So by my calculations I got to the fort on my 14th day. Yay!

Things I have learned:

P.S. I will upload the save tomorrow when I have a bit more time, and a few screenies I took.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:51:15 am by kesperan »

ThatOneGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • And you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2013, 12:06:55 am »

Would writing a first-person story be alright for when we detail our story?
Hmm...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2013, 02:30:29 am »

Jmnmaui added to the turn list. ThatOneGuy, certainly! Changed the wording in the rules to make it clearer that the 14 day limit is in-game. CaptainLambcake PMed about his turn.

Nicely pulled off, kesperan. Good story. And I knew there was some risk with there being monsters inside the tower. Unfortunately it's not possible to seal it off with just dwarfs/friendlies inside and hostiles outside. If it's sealed, the dwarfs will all be outside too. If it's open, some of the monsters will randomly spawn inside the tower when you arrive. I'm surprised giant chinchillas are actually killing anyone, though. The dwarfs are all trained up to pretty skilled fighters. They should be able to handle anything that was left on the map when I saved it.

Just one request for all future players: please don't clean all of the undead out of the game world before coming to the tower. Take a few, sure, but leave something for other players to enjoy as well. Otherwise we will quickly be left with nothing to do, like in the Adventurers Retirement Home game.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2013, 06:57:10 am »

My final kill count includes 14 vampires. The map is crawling with undead and I didn't assault any necro-towers. Maybe set a limit on the number of vamps you can kill?

My favourite kill would have been the vampire law-giver of my home civilisation who had ruled for 900 years...

The good thing about this map is that there are multiple human civilisations to start in. The one I chose directly south of the Bloodspire was mostly deserted though - the keeps were all empty and the only surviving soldiers were elves.

Some of the more distant starting zones are going to be very difficult to get to the Bloodspire in 14 days though.

Save is here.

Could you add me to the bottom of the turn list again? If Nacu is still alive when my turn comes up, I might take him on an adventure again, perhaps to kill the tortoise demon law-giver of Kesp's civilisation!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:03:24 am by kesperan »

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2013, 09:50:47 am »

i have 3 chances again, i assume.  i have to go out in a bit, so i'll probably get the first done now, and the other two either tonight or tomorow morning.

did you know you can remove an adventurer's first name by giving them a "nickname" and then leaving it blank?  very cool. 

My name was Litast Gatedagger, and I grew up in Scouredmasters.  The world was crumbling, and the last safehaven was Bloodspire, far to the West.  My journey began today. 

Throwing rocks at a nearby house until I deemed myself sufficiently skilled, I began my long trek to Bloodspire.  Then a roc killed me.
Joy.

My companions, a bowman and hammerman, avenged me. 

(I'll do my other 2 either later today, or tomorow morning.)

------

i love playing dwarf, but until mountainhomes are added, humans are easiest due to armor at the start. 

My name is Erab Woodwork, I grew up in the small hamlet of Plottedsinged.  The world's gone to shit, and the only safe haven is Bloodspire, far to the North.  I picked up Lide, a local swordsman.  He'd prove useful on this journey.  Stumbling upon a lair, Messthos Rampartfriendly attempted to drink my blood.  If not for Lide, i'd be dead.  He attempted to strangle me, and he broke my arm in the process.  The pain....
The man who saved my life would doom me.  While trekking through the mountains, he abandoned me.  When night falls, I will probably be killed.  It was not the creatures of the night that ended me, but it was instead kobolds. 
-------

I am Eno Boatpoet.  I have my own reasons, as do we all, but I need to get to Bloodspire.  A bipolar horse met me at the gate of a long-abandoned fortress.  Breaking my spine, it quickly ran off.  I managed to snap it back into place, and found some clothing inside the fort, but no armor, save a copper cap.  Aaaaaand a vampire kills me.  Great.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:50:08 am by CaptainLambcake »
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2013, 04:10:45 am »

Kesperan, you've been re-added to the turn list again. I'll think about a vampire kill limit, although maybe there are enough to keep us going for a while, especially with the time limit. And yes, the world is mostly falling apart. This is intentional - the world is well over 4000 years old, after all. : ) But there should still be enough other people around in the villages and such that we can keep things going. It helps that we're not building fortresses. Those take years at a time to complete, and meanwhile all the denizens of the world are aging and not reproducing. This way hopefully not too many people will die of old age while we adventure.

The more distant starting zones have more ground to cover, but they have to cross less mountains, so I think it should be doable to get to the tower in time as long as you don't spend too much time on side-quests. Maybe I'll re-add myself to the list and give it a shot... I'm pretty sure it didn't take long to get my "prologue" character (Gatshi) from the far south all the way to the volcano, although of course she wasn't a peasant. We'll see!

CaptainLambake, yes, of course you get 3 tries. Good luck!!!

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:40:01 am by CaptainLambcake »
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2013, 11:27:24 am »

You're not having great luck Captain! More training at the start will save your life. I spent days swimming and wrestling to make my guy the pinnacle of peasant health!

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2013, 11:40:19 am »

I just attempted to run and make it.  Failed miserably.  Save is up above.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2013, 02:14:22 pm »

Aw, that's a shame. Better luck next time! I've PMed Caldfir about his turn.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2013, 10:22:55 pm »

Well, I've finally gotten my equipment together, such as it is.  Now it's time for action and adventure - or perhaps a lonely death as seems more likely.  It seems as though in my excitement, I've forgotten where I was going to go.  Perhaps some of my friends have ideas. 

Quote from: Caldfir
Caldfir Pulleypeace

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

He is average in size.  His very long sideburns are neatly combed.  His very long moustache is neatly combed.  His very long beard is neatly combed.  His hair is clean-shaven.  His turquoise eyes are protruding.  His ears are short.  His lips are thin.  His skin is cinnamon.  His eyes are slightly wide-set.   

Wait a moment... I don't see any friends about... and why am I above-ground, lying in waist-deep snow? 

Oh gods... it's coming back... the elf and his sunberry wine, then a jumble of events I can't seem to place, and then... and then just... this morning.  My head throbs. 

Inside a nearby house I ask a human miner about the surroundings, and try to figure out where in the world I am.  I am currently in hamlet of Ancientwasp.  The nearest structures are a necromancer tower and a labrynth.  To the east, the nearest town is Twinebridges, and beyond, civilization.  To the west, the human fortress of Combatred, along with a few towns.  I decide that my best hope of success lies to the east.  I might hope to cross the mountains to the south, but it would do well to obtain allies and equipment before attempting such a journey. 

The miner asks me if I'm "One of those Bloodspire dwarfs".
"I've got no idea what you mean." I reply, "What's a 'Bloodspire'?"
By way of explanation, the human hands me a sheet of paper with directions to a mountain in the middle of a desert to the south.  "The Bloodspire - supposed to be some haven against all the zombies and monsters and evil fogs and skin-melting rains and necromancers and were-lobsters."
"So why not make the journey there?" I ask.
The miner shrugs back, "How am I to know it's any better than this?"
I almost reply that the description she gave indicates that there are parts of the underworld that are safer than this area, but decide that it would only start a fight.  Perhaps later I will look for someone else to travel away from this place with me. 

Travel in the above-ground is perilous, and before anything else, I should train to move stealthily and to swim to remove the greatest dangers.  I head over to a murky pool and dive in, the haul myelf back onto the land.  Dive back in and move around a bit.  Before long I'm able to keep my head above water as I swim about.  Nearby I spy a group of buzzards.  Sneaking up, I manage to grab one before it can fly off, and kill it with my bare hands.  Sadly the thing is too small to have any meat on it.  The sun begins to lower in the sky, and I head back to the miner's house. 

The miner is generous to offer me a place to stay for the night.  Tomorrow, I set out for properly civilized areas. 

Day 2

I awoke before anyone else in town, and had to wait for the humans before asking any questions.  I talked with a great many people, but evidently the job of guiding a lone dwarf through the wilderness was not a popular one.  Eventually, a dyer named Uthros Rhythmwinds agreed.
"Surely any place is better than this!  Anyone who stays in a lone town, cut off from the world by necromancers and wild beasts is quite mad - I've been waiting for a companion with which to leave this awful little hovel for months.  Let's set off immediately!" 
Well, he's enthusiastic, even if somewhat pessimistic. 

Quote from: Uthros
Uthros Rhythmwinds

A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.

He is thin.  His hair is extremely long.  His eyes are taupe.  His nose bridge is incredibly concave.  His eyebrows are high.  He has a clear voice.  His head is very short.  His ears are broad.  His hair is charcoal.  His skin is copper.   

We set off towards the east and civilization immediately. 

Around noon we come upon a group of camels.  Eager to practice my fighting skills and acquire dinner from these larger beasts, I am about to head toward them when Uthros catches my shoulder. 
"Best not, dwarf.  I've seen a camel stomp ten men to death once it got it in it's head to fight back."
At first I laugh because I am certain he is joking, but the look on Uthros' face is anything but amused.  We continue onward without troubling the (mighty?) camels. 

While Uthros demanded restraint with the camels, he seemed overly bold once we reached the badlands, pointlessly charging after every falcon and vulture we passed.  Suddenly, I hear a curse and sounds of fighting from over the ridge where Uthros had ran ahead - I run up to where I heard the sounds, only to find Uthros locked in combat with a Camel!  The vicious beast tears off Uthros' right arm with nothing but it's teeth before Uthros can get away.  I steer clear of the monster and help Uthros to safety.  We rest a short while for Uthros' bruised foot to recover somewhat before pressing on.  Despite this being entirely his fault for running off, Uthros seems angry that I wasn't able to scare the camel off before it got his arm.  Frankly, I'm lucky the beast didn't decide to attack me as well. 

Farther on, I find myself under attack from a honey badger, with Uthros nowhere in sight.  I easily overpower the mad little creature using my dagger, and butcher it for it's meat.  As I gaze about, annoyed that Uthros didn't help, I see him crawling on the ground toward me. 
"Another Camel!  Another camel got me and you did nothing!"  cries Uthros. 
"I was fighting a badger!  Gods, why do you keep getting into fights with camels?" I reply. 

Uthros is about to respond but passes out on the ground.  For the second time today, I ready to bandage his camel-inflicted injuries.  As he comes to, Uthros spies more camels ahead of us. 
"To hell with you all!" he screams "I'll have my revenge!"

He got two steps before collapsing on the ground and suffocating to death from his injuries.  I am now alone in the wilderness.  I take Uthros' coin pouch.  I have nothing to bury him with, but he died like a dwarf - with madness in his heart and a curse on his tongue.  I pray that I can survive the night without him. 

Somewhat farther on, I see groups of gigantic sparrowlike birds.  They seem to avoid me, so I will try to do the same.  I kill another honey badger and take it's meat.  Insect-people swarm over the remains of the corpse I leave behind, while falcon-men dance in the sky above.  These are truly wild regions I travel through, but I press onward. 

It is now almost night.  I am growing ever more thirsty, but as I finally find water on the opposite end of this desert, it is frozen!  With any luck the human settlement ahead will have a well.  Nearby, I see piles of what appear to be elf blood snow heaped on the ground.  An enraged badger comes at me out of the night.  Relieved, I hurry onwards before it reaches me.  For a moment I was certain it was a bogeyman, come to tear me apart. 

After what seems an eternity of struggling through the night, looking over my shoulder, I finally reach a human settlement.  A single farmer is still awake, and after a few brief words between us, I flop on the floor and drift to sleep.

Day 3

I awaken and search around town for a well to cure my thirst.  While I find no well, the villagers inform me of a nearby river.  I am grateful and sate my thirst and fill my waterskin before washing off the badger blood and going for a short swim. 

Alright, well it's a rocky but alright start.  Idiot follower kept charging after birds and then coming back with camel-related injuries.  He was of exactly zero help, and I ended up having to stumble into town by myself well after dark, having crossed an evil region.  While the map shows the river ought to have been on my path through the desert, goblin sites blocked it off so I wasn't able to get any (non-murky) water until day 3.  Current goal is to find a bucket or second waterskin so that crossing the desert isn't quite so deadly. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:51:15 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2013, 12:22:49 pm »

A few tips if I may be so bold:

1. Get elf followers if you can. You should find a few in bigger towns. They have AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE civ token and will not charge after hoofed death-machines.
2. Grab a bag of {random herb or berry} from a human house, drop/remove/eat berries, and fill it with water: you now have a whole 50 units of water, which will last a long time (the trade off being it is damn heavy). Basically any container can carry water.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »

Lovely story so far, Caldfir.

What program do you use for the pictures?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17