Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bone shield  (Read 2565 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bone shield
« on: May 25, 2013, 03:42:26 am »

Strange mood gave me this. I couldn't conduct any kind of experiments and also failed to find any useful data on wiki.

Is it a good shield? Does material matter or artifact quality + light weight surpass unfit material? Or maybe it's bad because it's not good as blunt weapon?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
Re: Bone shield
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 05:00:35 am »

Its generally bad, and only marginally better than another bone/wood shield.

edit: I was wrong, completely forgot that material quality matters only for armor, and that for shields its block chance. This is actually pretty good - you get a higher block chance for something quite lightweight, at the cost of a weaker shield bash.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:56:45 am by parlor_tricks »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 05:04:21 am »

for armor/weapon it would be bad... for shield i think they are used to block (wich action get the bonus from artifact) they are ligthweith so easy to carry, but also do less blundt damage if used to hit ... i think altogether it's worth it if used with a main waepon ...make ‼Science‼ and tell us ;)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 05:31:41 am »

It is assigned to my militia captain. When he finally decided to pick it up, I shall pit him against some goblin prisoners I keep in my cage.

Not sure how control group is supposed to work, though.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 06:10:30 am »

IIRC, material for shields only matters when shield-bashing.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 06:31:29 am »

For shields, only quality, density and fireproofness matter. Since it's an artifact, it will easily outachieve a standard-quality steel shield, for example, unless you're fighting a dragon or prefer your dwarves to shield bash well.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 07:40:22 am »

For shields, only quality, density and fireproofness matter. Since it's an artifact, it will easily outachieve a standard-quality steel shield, for example, unless you're fighting a dragon or prefer your dwarves to shield bash well.
The material doesn't matter when it comes to blocking dragonfire or fireballs. Wooden shields, bone shields, adamantium shields, all are equally fireproof, that is, 100% so.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 07:43:39 am »

The material doesn't matter when it comes to blocking dragonfire or fireballs. Wooden shields, bone shields, adamantium shields, all are equally fireproof, that is, 100% so.

Shame. Cause faming shield would be awesome. Why always swords that are on fire?

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 07:54:36 am »

Shame. Cause faming shield would be awesome. Why always swords that are on fire?
The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:15 am »

The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior.

But a naked and on fire dwarf would be unhappy due to being naked.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 12:39:27 pm »

For beings that claim to despise being naked they don't half seem to be naked a lot.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 05:27:04 pm »

Its generally bad, and only marginally better than another bone/wood shield.

Why do you think this?

As far as my understanding goes, an artifact bone shield should be awesome. Fairly lightweight so as to minimally impede speed, and I'm pretty sure the artifact quality will increase its block rate. I'd rather have an artifact bone shield than an artifact steel shield.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 10:15:13 pm »

Materials are unimportant with shields, except with bashing and you can hardly take that into account since shields shouldn't be your main weapons anyway.

An artifact shield is still 1.5x better than a regular shield, so blocking with it should be vastly improved.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 01:56:37 am »

Materials are unimportant with shields, except with bashing and you can hardly take that into account since shields shouldn't be your main weapons anyway.

An artifact shield is still 1.5x better than a regular shield, so blocking with it should be vastly improved.

1.5x better than a masterwork shield.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 05:00:34 am »

I observed my militia commander shattering goblin hand with bone shield. Not sure if it's an achievement.
Pages: [1] 2