Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bone shield  (Read 2568 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bone shield
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 05:07:32 am »

This is the best block chance you can get, with less speed reduction for the bearer, at cost of a secondary attack being slightly weaker.  Positives outweigh the down side.  Lightweight artifact shields are awesome.

Give it to your most agile melee soldier so he can better enjoy the benefits of being the fastest dwarf in the squad, and have better survivability when he inevitably takes point.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 08:11:26 pm »

The material doesn't matter when it comes to blocking dragonfire or fireballs. Wooden shields, bone shields, adamantium shields, all are equally fireproof, that is, 100% so.

Shame. Cause faming shield would be awesome. Why always swords that are on fire?

my understanding is that the immunity only happens when blocking.

in theory, you should still be able to set it on fire when it is not being used to block anything. the precise mechanics of that procedure i leave up to your imagination.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 09:19:45 pm »

Shields will block fire breath/dragon breath (preventing the dwarf or ANY worn equipment from catching fire/melting), but if the shield is ignited because it is being held by a flaming creature, doused with magma, or lying on the burning grass it will burn.

You can use a burning shield to block fire breath, to prevent further fire damage, but you will take damage from holding a burning object. If you hit someone with the burning shield hard enough to lodge it in a wound (!), they will get set on fire as well.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 09:49:23 pm »

I *just* got a bone artifact shield, too!  Thanks for reminding me about the added block chance!

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 12:34:28 am »

Blocking with a shield isn't affected by material properties, so this shield will provide awesome defense capabilities.
Of course, it'll be not so good for bashing as it's light, but it's an ok trade-off I think.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 12:50:46 am »

Material only matters for shield bashing. Light shields are good because their lower weight means the carrier can move and attack more quickly, but will make weaker bashes in melee. Artifact status will let you make blocks more often.

So its ideal for a ranged unit.
Pages: 1 [2]