Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increasing Challenge Early On?  (Read 393 times)

LordHamshire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Increasing Challenge Early On?
« on: May 25, 2013, 12:52:08 am »

I'm super new to the game and I've been having lots of fun learning how to play it, but now, in my mind, the game starts off relatively slow: It takes some time to form a self-sustaining fortress and yet you can do it with an almost zero chance of failure.
I can make it a bit more interesting by starting in an untamed-wilds tundra type area, but even then, I can get down a fail-safe strategy. Any advice to make it a little more interesting?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing Challenge Early On?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 01:51:26 am »

Try looking for evil biomes, not merely savage ones.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 05:41:19 am »

when embarking, limit yourself in what your colonists bring with them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 05:51:54 am »

There is no fail-safe strategy.

This is Dwarf Fortress.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:14:46 am »

in the average embark, as long as it's not an evil biome, it's very easy to set up a secure and thriving fortress once you've mastered the basics like the UI and having enough booze the whole year round
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 01:15:33 pm »

Most early-game difficulty comes from pre-embark choices. Location (savage, glacier, aquifer, saltwater, evil if you really want a challenge) and supplies (skill-less, equipment-less, nothing but combat skills, etc.) all add extra Fun. Alternatively, breach the cavern layer as early as possible and carve your fortress into it.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

sabarjp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 07:42:05 pm »

There are a lot of embarks that are nearly impossible.  My last crazy one was an evil location next to a necromancer tower.  I lasted about 3 real-world minutes before everyone was slaughtered.  I was immediately attacked by undead.  There was water ONE layer below the open plains I started on.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 08:44:15 pm »

I like staying close to vanilla, but trying to pack all the Fun vanilla things into a game as quickly as possible, too. Here's how that works for me:

Pre-scout the evil weather for the region. Not all evil regions are created equal. Make sure it reanimates. Look for evil creeping clouds that create thralls/husks. If the weather material is a dust, then leave all splatter spread on and the thralls will bring the evil dust to you.

Some very rare evil regions will appear to rain a harmless liquid, like blood, but have a weird quirk where any creature entering them instantly is taken by a thralling/husking curse. These regions are impossible to survive on the surface, (the game will end instantly on unpausing), but it can be a fun challenge to set up along the border.

Evil oceans are extra good. Pre-scout them to ensure they reanimate so the undead giant orcas can climb from the ocean and invade. Good times.

DFhack prospect to find a sandstone top layer and aquifer, so you have a chance of getting a 10-layer aquifer to pierce.

I like low population and hermit games, so some mods I always apply are:

In world generation, change the titan attack triggers to low population and production values, to get them sooner.

In creature_standard.txt:
Anywhere you see an [ATTACK_TRIGGER] tag, change it to [ATTACK_TRIGGER:1:0:100000] (Or even less for the last value.) Dragons and minotaurs will show up sooner.

In entity_default.txt:
Make sure any hostile civ won't wait as long before sieging by setting [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:0] and [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:1], and removing any other [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_...._SIEGE] tags.

Consider doing the same with elves and humans and then making them hostile by adding the [BABYSNATCHER] tag.