Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The best DF Clone..?  (Read 3586 times)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The best DF Clone..?
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:51 pm »

Even though there are so many of them now, still haven't really had a lot of fun with any that I have played. Certainly nothing close to the fun(and madness) that I have had with DF. I've just bought Towns but haven't really loved it. It doesn't have any style or soul it feels. I did actually get pretty into Goblin Camp but that may only have been because it was one of the first clones and now it isn't even being worked on.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: The best DF Clone..?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:56:08 pm »

Closest commercial game to DF that I have played is Tropico 4.

Individual citizen tracking, production chains, and a mad overseer.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:12 pm »

Even though there are so many of them now, still haven't really had a lot of fun with any that I have played. Certainly nothing close to the fun(and madness) that I have had with DF. I've just bought Towns but haven't really loved it. It doesn't have any style or soul it feels. I did actually get pretty into Goblin Camp but that may only have been because it was one of the first clones and now it isn't even being worked on.

I think there is a lack of games with a really simmy character data feel. None of the interesting behavior of stuff in DF.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:31:08 pm »

definitly goblin camp......

i have never actualy played it but i asume it is better then gnomoria

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:22:44 am »

Gnomoria is shaping up nicely i hear.
I got nothing

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 09:35:23 am »

I picked up A Game of Dwarves a month or so back through an online bundle. It's pretty good.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 09:58:36 am »

definitly goblin camp......

i have never actualy played it but i asume it is better then gnomoria
Goblin Camp has ceased development and Gnomoria have alot more features from DF than GC sadly.

I picked up A Game of Dwarves a month or so back through an online bundle. It's pretty good.
I spent too much time in that game just to make gold and wood :/
and devs have stop working on the game too.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:16:43 am »

Right now, Gnomoria is head and shoulders above the rest, but it's beginning to diverge from DF in many aspects as it's growing into it's own identity. I highly recommend it.

There is also Towns, which was inspired by DF originally but has evolved into something more like Majesty. It has the added bonus of having access to one of the devs here on the forum, Burningpet!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 11:08:17 am »

Ive had some fun with Timber and Stone.  Is kind of like DF with Minecraft gfx and much less complex although a bit barren atm as still in development.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:09:44 am »

Right now, Gnomoria is head and shoulders above the rest, but it's beginning to diverge from DF in many aspects as it's growing into it's own identity. I highly recommend it.

There is also Towns, which was inspired by DF originally but has evolved into something more like Majesty. It has the added bonus of having access to one of the devs here on the forum, Burningpet!

Ohhh? So Burningpet is the one responsible for my crazy and stupid ideas not making it into Towns? ERRR!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 11:51:39 am »

Ohhh? So Burningpet is the one responsible for my crazy and stupid ideas not making it into Towns? ERRR!

He's just one of them. For the record, I have liked some of your ideas.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 12:14:57 pm »

I was mostly talking about my Elemental siege where a series of elemental portals open with elementals popping out... where if you defeat them all (including the last portal which is the 5th element or combined element... or heaven) you get a unique prize.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 12:26:15 pm »

So Gnomoria is worth the time? I'll check it out right now.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 12:28:30 pm »

Well, we are now introducing Events (and gods) so the crazy stuff will be possible. many suggested the portal spawning monsters idea (or, hmm.. *puts on my detective tin foil hat" - you are all of them under different names!).

And yeah, we already made it possible to be made through an event. so i am pretty sure this feature will find its way in, either officially or through a mod.

(btw, here's a sneak peak preview of one of the punishments players will get if they piss the gods too much  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiuMWeP9TP8 )

Well, i tried not to respond here since i thought it'd be just cheesy since we got the advantage of me being a member here, so ill see my self out.

Oh wait, not before ill chip in and tell everyone to go follow Stonehearth and that goblin camp is now dead and was never that great to begin with. (but it did had great promise. especially with the theme)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:36:53 pm »

Yeah I'm waiting for Stonehearth and I already bought Towns but I'll check out Gnomoria. I did when it first came out but I imagine it's a lot better now.
Pages: [1] 2