Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Least productive game development  (Read 8531 times)

Dwemeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Least productive game development
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2013, 11:21:17 am »

Add another for the Survivors of Ragnarok. They seriously stop giving a fuck about the game/not taking it very serious judging how most of their update are nothing but cosmetic crap. Desura wouldn't happen to have report function to take things off right?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2013, 11:26:40 am »

Add another for the Survivors of Ragnarok. They seriously stop giving a fuck about the game/not taking it very serious judging how most of their update are nothing but cosmetic crap. Desura wouldn't happen to have report function to take things off right?
There is and im really more mad about this as there's been no talk from the devs at all since their last build in fricking February, hell the game still lags like shit with my gamer desktop its ridiculous.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2013, 11:29:48 am »

Clearly you just don't understand the genius that is Survivors of Ragnarok. You see, even the game development is post apocalyptic.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 11:40:38 am »

SoR really made me upset. upset because i loved the concept and art they had. its such a shame how they treat it and i really think they are missing on a hit here. we even played with the idea of buying it from them but ruled it out since it would take us more time working and improving on their engine than developing it from scratch and the title is not strong enough to justify an IP purchase.

well, here's hoping they will pull them selves together and get back on it full time and power.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2013, 11:50:42 am »

SoR really made me upset. upset because i loved the concept and art they had. its such a shame how they treat it and i really think they are missing on a hit here. we even played with the idea of buying it from them but ruled it out since it would take us more time working and improving on their engine than developing it from scratch and the title is not strong enough to justify an IP purchase.

well, here's hoping they will pull them selves together and get back on it full time and power.

This is why I love you guys. The bravery to consider such a thing and the common sense to resist. Kudos!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2013, 05:03:58 pm »

So what is Survivors of Ragnarok?  Everybody's mentioning it but I've never even heard of it before.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 05:32:28 pm »

http://survivorsofragnarok.com/

It could charitably be described as "Dwarf Fortress but with a side view", or perhaps more accurately a combination of Dwarf Fortress and Terraria... Or perhaps just "Terreria but broken and with dwarves"..

Got it in an early indie alpha bundle and was pretty excited about seeing where it would go.. But it doesn't appear to have gone much of anywhere unfortunately (hence it's inclusion in this thread).

I got it quite a while ago and booted it up a month or so ago to find that seemingly little had changed, though at least it crashes slightly less frequently now.

Really the fact that these are mostly indie games mentioned shows how great the concepts of the games are.. After all (As jokingly mentioned earlier) Dwarf Fortress would have died long ago were it not for the excellent and original concept that keeps the community around (both to donate money and to spread the word to others).  Realistically, while it has been updated quite a lot, it is not radically different than when I started playing it years ago (and that was years after development started) and playing it with no modifications or utility programs of any kind results in a learning cliff and a lack of interesting* content.

*There is tons to do in the game, but most of these things are small, such as being able to make clay pots instead of wooden barrels.  That's great to add depth, but it's hardly a reason to keep playing.  Were it not for mods like Masterwork, fortress defense, etc I don't think I would keep coming back.

Contrary to the popular opinion, in Vanilla once you get the hang of the crazy UI and some of the general concepts of the game 'winning' (or at least having a completely self-sufficient fortress nigh invulnerable to all enemies is pretty easy, even without things like walling yourself off.  After that it's just waiting around until the FPS drops to zero.

I love the game and see amazing potential in it, but realistically it would probably belong on this list.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 05:37:44 pm by Mickey Blue »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2013, 08:44:23 pm »

I always thought that DF's development was going at a pretty decent pace considering its programmed by one guy.

Remember Minecraft's secret friday updates? :'(
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2013, 08:47:39 pm »

It's fair that it's being done by one guy but slow is slow.  The category was slowest progress.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2013, 08:56:59 pm »

Dwarf Fortress has long dev cycles but Toady always keeps us up to date on what's happening, and the longer he takes to do something, the better it'll be and the more we'll have to weaponize on release.

I'm torn between duke nukem that took over a decade to finish from start (although it did have about a dozen different versions) and Minecraft. The FTB modpacks convinced me that mojang is doing far, far less than they can. I spent more time placing piping from buildcraft than I ever did playing the vanilla game.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013, 09:47:17 pm »

I guess the inclusion of Minecraft makes me want to include Dwarf Fortress.. The mods, even those made by just a person or two, add tons of content, I play using mods and other tools far more than I play it vanilla because, honestly, vanilla doesn't have a significant amount of gameplay content.  It has lots of detail and lots of depth but not a lot of stuff to 'do'.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2013, 09:55:00 pm »

I always thought it had plenty to do, but i suppose it is subjective.

And it would be a bit unfair to use the mods as a measurement of development speed, at least in DF's case. The mod makers dont have to code the program as well as make the raws.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2013, 01:27:17 am »

Starcraft Ghost.
Beat me to it! :P Though considering it is actually listed as "indefinitely postponed" right now I'm kind of hesitant to include it in a category based on its current development.

As for DF I don't think it really belongs here. The actual category is "Least productive game development", not "slowest game development". DF might go very long periods between releases, but as Toady's dev log updates show that time is certainly spent doing things, it's just that our ability to personally use said developments is delayed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013, 06:44:36 am »

I find it sort of inane to put Dwarf Fortress in the same category as Minecraft. Minecraft is slow to include the seemingly most basic features despite later having an entire team behind it. Like their first attempt at an achievements system included like 7 or so really basic crap achievements that were to serve as a "tutorial". During its development, Dwarf Fortress has gone from 2D to 3D (in gameplay), from relatively basic bodyparts to tissues and materials, from having basic undeads that take more hits to having resurrected bodyparts and raw-defined curses like vampirism and lycanthropy.

And it's all really moddable, which is not an easy thing to do, especially with a game this complex. The only reason there's any real mods for Minecraft is because they released the source code in a humble bundle. Using the actual game's entire source code is not how modding usually works.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2013, 06:50:08 am »

Starcraft Ghost.
Is that ever going to happen? In hindsight it looked pretty cool.

My contribution to the thread however:
This looks like a prime example of vapourware to me. :-[
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5