Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Least productive game development  (Read 8534 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Least productive game development
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:18:43 pm »

I'm normally Mr Positive around here but I thought we could all have fun with this topic. What game or Dev team do you think has the slowest progress?

For me it's a toss up between Project Zomboid and Blockade Runner, although I would say Survivors of Ragnarok if I wasn't convinced it was vaporware.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Least productive game development
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:24:33 pm »

I hate to use super used jokes but you asked for it, anyone heard of HL3?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:26:09 pm »

I guess we can't use Duke Nukem Forever, because that turned out to be... such a... really showed us...

Nah, I'm still going to say Duke Nukem Forever.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:31:05 pm »

Everything considered ? Minecraft.

Not sure how it is presently but back in the day it was like Notch was afraid to mess with the game for fear of it unpopularizing itself or something, so he added nothing...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:34:11 pm by Mookzen »

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 02:31:16 pm »

Hehe. :)

*looks through the list of games he follows the development of*

Well I would say Minecraft too. A lot of features are nice, but I always found them incomplete/lacking in content, especially for the time it took to include them in the game. So, for me, it looks like this game is still in "beta", even after so many years. And this impression is reinforced whenever I checked what modders did in less time...
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:32:06 pm »

I guess we can't use Duke Nukem Forever, because that turned out to be... such a... really showed us...

Nah, I'm still going to say Duke Nukem Forever.

Zero Punciation's/Yahtzee's fake Duke Nukem forever review is a very good example of how many people were fooled by the long development time. But I agree, Half Life 3 needs to be made... unless it turns out like DK Forever

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:34:17 pm »

It's good to be a little negative once in a while; keeps things in perspective! Perhaps we can get Neonivek to post a "Most productive game development" thread and have a full on opposites day!  :P

I have to go with Survivors of Ragnarok myself (funny enough, I literally posted about it being vaporware in another thread not 2 hours ago). The SoR developers do respond to almost every comment of Desura with a response to the effect of "we're a small dev time and don't have anytime to work on SoR; it will be done eventually"... but I've said that about my own modding projects and had it turn out to be an excuse for vaporware.

I do agree with Project Zomboid, but I feel bad about it. The burglary where they lost their source code was pretty telling. I think that they honestly try hard and mean well, but might just be too inexperienced to be efficient.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:40:42 pm »

Duke Nukem Forever at least was seemingly remade countless times. Which is more than can be said for some developers, like the ones mentioned in the OP.

I would say Minecraft and most of its derivatives. It seems like a month can't go by without a new Minecraft-like popping up that never goes anywhere beyond maybe some initial alpha release. Including one from Notch (the space game, whatever it was called).

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:41:07 pm »

Toki Tori 2 by Two Tribes seems to have been in development forever.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 02:55:05 pm »

Gotta throw Infinity in there. I had to check if it was still an ongoing project before adding it. It can easily and, quite frankly, reasonably be considered vaporware. However, it's been around for so long, and so much work has been put into it that it would have to be considered steamware instead or something.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 03:05:20 pm »

Warcraft 4 ;_;

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 03:07:55 pm »

Gotta throw Infinity in there. I had to check if it was still an ongoing project before adding it. It can easily and, quite frankly, reasonably be considered vaporware. However, it's been around for so long, and so much work has been put into it that it would have to be considered steamware instead or something.

Hey, I follow that! It's what introduced me to Dwarf Fortress, actually.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 03:25:12 pm »

Most of the projects I'm following are making good progress, actually. Thumbs up for Gaslamp, Chucklefish, ToME and the like.

On the surface, I'd agree with Minecraft. I hadn't played it until a few months ago, but what little there was to actually DO in the game that's been so hyped for so long was vastly underwhelming. I didn't bother sticking around to check mods.

Min-Max games basically dropped completely off the radar mid-sentence during a patch cycle for Space Pirates and Zombies. I give them plenty of leeway for just being a couple guys who are trying to remake and improve the same game on an entirely new engine with new stuff, but the first looks at SPAZ 2 are still months away so it *feels like* nothing much is happening. I can wait.

Warcraft 4 ;_;

This, however, needs to be said. The sheer amount of failed promises from every franchise at Blizzard for the past few years is staggering. I'd go so far as to call it negative development because presented, marketed features have been getting cut from releases wholesale. WoW: Path of the Titans system? Nope. Robust archaeology? Nope. Smooth keyboard input for SC2 custom maps? Nope. Zerg campaign equal length to terran campaign? Nope. D3 team-based arena PvP, with ranking system? Nope. Itemization overhaul and varied class options? Slightly better, but nowhere near the numbers promised. So nope.

Glad I picked up indie gaming. Thank you DF.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 03:26:39 pm »

Overgrowth by Wolfire. I seriously doubt they can even produce a finished game at this point.

http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth
I got nothing

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 03:33:29 pm »

It's good to be a little negative once in a while; keeps things in perspective! Perhaps we can get Neonivek to post a "Most productive game development" thread and have a full on opposites day!  :P

I have to go with Survivors of Ragnarok myself (funny enough, I literally posted about it being vaporware in another thread not 2 hours ago). The SoR developers do respond to almost every comment of Desura with a response to the effect of "we're a small dev time and don't have anytime to work on SoR; it will be done eventually"... but I've said that about my own modding projects and had it turn out to be an excuse for vaporware.

I do agree with Project Zomboid, but I feel bad about it. The burglary where they lost their source code was pretty telling. I think that they honestly try hard and mean well, but might just be too inexperienced to be efficient.
They just released a new version yesterday that shows a completely overhauled game, i think thats in the past now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5