Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 428167 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.60
« Reply #2055 on: May 14, 2014, 09:01:41 pm »

Alternatively, maybe WE are the Amaranth.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: May 14, 2014, 09:07:55 pm »

There can be many, technically. It's unknown if there are any in the lore (some speculate this is what happened to Vivec, although I think he just buzzed off myself).

Regardless, it could (in a roundabout sense) be true if this is all a coma dream.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #2057 on: May 14, 2014, 09:12:38 pm »

Wow.  Is this a good time to step in with a theory that obviously M. is already talking with Sheogorath (and hence comparatively insane, I guess?).

Sheogorath is a player, after all (and many people here have likely become Sheogorath).  Heck, M might have even been Sheogorath if he played thru Oblivion (and time it occured doesn't really matter what with fuzzy time, dimensions, and of course modding Oblivion to become Morrowind I guess).

Suddenly, everyone was Sheogorath all along.

Suddenly, talking to lots of voices makes sense.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: May 14, 2014, 09:17:46 pm »

I've got to wonder if Michael wound ever have realized our presence without Vivec. Heck, we didn't know we had an in-universe existence before Vivec told Michael. In fact, I think this may have been one of the main points of divergence from LB's plan. This game would have been written completely differently and been bereft of much metaphysical experimentation and faffing about without that.

Speaking of Kirkbride, anyone noticed that Michael shares his first name? I don't know if it has any significance, but just thought I'd mention it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: May 14, 2014, 09:27:44 pm »

... What is Michael's last name? I gotta check to see if it was mentioned.

Just checked. Michael doesn't know his last name. During the Legion Training. Interesting.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:30:33 pm by Xanmyral »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:55 am »

GM Comment: Think I'm going to try to follow your advice and do about one update a week rather than alternate between 3 a week and then nothing for months.

Misc responses to  couple comments:

I still really like this story
I'm not into MLP, but as Araph said, this is probably among, if not the best forum game I've participated in. Well written, interesting, based off a game that I really enjoy, I could go on
my quibbles are minor compared to the enjoyment I get out of reading this.
this is one of the best forum games I've seen on these forums.
You've thought everything out to an impressive extent, and crafted a very believable world

Thank you. It's good to hear that the consensus is that people are enjoying this. :)

Remember at the beginning, when Michael interpreted every command as "DO THIS NOW" and yelled at us for telling him to waste his money bouncing all over the map constantly? We thought that "do this when you're in the place to do it" would be obvious, but it wasn't.

Again, there are practical limits. Jumping for athletics, destruction training whenever you have spare magicka, stuff like that is fine to just take for granted. When you got sidetracked on the way to learn magic and the vote for which school to learn took place an extra episode prior to the actual opportunity to learn one, sure I just checked an extra couple thread pages back to see what the consensus had been. But stuff like the Edwinna/Yagrum thing...your promise to Edwinna was made in Episode 40, on August 30th of 2013, on thread page 76. It became relevant in Episode 52, dated March 29, 2014, on thread page 107.

Or, another example: Nalcaryra informed you that it would be necessary to procure hospitality papers should you wish you to engage in commerce in Sadrith Mor. That was in Episode 26, dated June 24, 2013, on thread page 32. That became relevant in Episode 46, dated January 6, 2014, on thread page 93

I think it's pretty reasonable for me to not just remember that kind of thing for you. I'm not trying to deliberately trip you up by having such such long delays between something introduced and it becoming actionable, but I'm just not going to maintain months worth of "do X when we next reach location Y" instruction sets.

About Tel Fyr: I am pretty disappointed that we didn't get to do find out about clover, or ask questions for Edwinna, but the constant reminders about the boat seemed to be "Guys get out now or you'll be stuck at Tel Fyr until Cinnia returns at an indeterminate time."

From my point of view that was a pacing issue. You were at Tel Fyr for 6 episodes. Ten percent the entire lifetime of this year-long forum game you were in one building talking to people. That's ok if that's what you want to do, but to give a tabletop gaming metaphor, when the party spends 10 minutes at the entrance to the kobold lair debating how to go in...whether to disguise themselves, or sneak in, or go charging in with swords drawn, or to wait for dark or hide and look for patrols to steal their armor, and oh have you ever wondered whether kobolds are true lizards or whether they're mongrel lizardmen? What do you think, Bob? ...Bob? Guys? Where'd our cleric go? Oh, he's in the next room watching tv waiting for everyone else to figure out what they want to do.

...that's when it's time for the GM to step in and have the kobold scouting party return and attack the people loudly bickering outside their home.

Pacing.

You had plenty of time to track down Clover if you'd decided it was important. You decided talking to Yagrum was more important. That's fine. I offer no particular critique or comment on it. Just, please try to understand...you arrived at Tel Fyr in Episde 48 on real world date January 17, Cinia reminded you that she was leaving in Episode 51 on real world date March 25...and you nevertheless stayed in Tel Fyr until Episode 54 real world date April 2, three months later.

Totally a pacing issue.

I realize you wanted to talk to Yagrm. You got to talk to Yagrum. But January to April of 2014 was enough time to talk to Yagrum.

To be perfectly honest, yes, my enjoyment does decrease somewhat knowing there's ponies; I really, really dislike that fandom.  And that's a problem with me, yes.  But despite that, this story is good enough to keep me around.  The many good aspects of it by far outweigh the things I perceive as negative.

I don't want to be too spoily here. There are still many ways this could possibly play out and I don't know which path(s) you guys are actually going to see...but if I were to venture a guess, I would guess that there will probably come a time in this story when the answers to all your questions seems to be "ponies." "What's going on?" "Ponies."

When that time comes, remember Applejack. Not everything is always what it appears.

Of course, I'm not saying that everything is tentacle monsters either. But there's still room for twists, yet.

As long as an actual pony didn't zap Michael into Morrowind for MLP reasons (which LB denies, thank goodness)

I will confirm that that specific and precise thing is in fact not what's going on here. I will further confirm that it was never what was going on, and I didn't change my mind after the reaction you guys gave to seeing the pony stuff. In fact, the more observant among you might put together the fact that I've gone on record to say that I only expected this game to last a couple months...and the fact that neither Awesomicus nor Clover were even indirectly introduced until Episode 26...and you might possibly thereby come to some interesting conclusions.

In any case...please remember that this was originally intended to be a couple month long forum game. I never intended to write a novel. I think we've done well here, but let's not build up our expectations so much that no matter what happens half a dozen of you want to crucify me.

I've got to wonder if Michael wound ever have realized our presence without Vivec. Heck, we didn't know we had an in-universe existence before Vivec told Michael. In fact, I think this may have been one of the main points of divergence from LB's plan. This game would have been written completely differently and been bereft of much metaphysical experimentation and faffing about without that.

Remember these questions when the game ends.

What is Michael's last name? I gotta check to see if it was mentioned.

Just checked. Michael doesn't know his last name. During the Legion Training. Interesting.

You have more information relevant to that question than you apparently realize.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 15, 2014, 01:06:23 am »

I will confirm that that specific and precise thing is in fact not what's going on here. I will further confirm that it was never what was going on, and I didn't change my mind after the reaction you guys gave to seeing the pony stuff. In fact, the more observant among you might put together the fact that I've gone on record to say that I only expected this game to last a couple months...and the fact that neither Awesomicus nor Clover were even indirectly introduced until Episode 26...and you might possibly thereby come to some interesting conclusions.
Don't worry, at least you warn us not to get our hopes up instead of letting us build ourselves up. I didn't think you changed the story, since you really do seem like a good enough writer to not pull something so fannish and cheesy (especially given the tone throughout). A person who could write even the first 2 months of this game would not be a person to end it with that worst case scenario, unless they were trolling.

I think the 2 major problems are that you didn't realize you were striking gold with the premise, and like the rest of us, thought some things would be obvious that weren't.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: May 15, 2014, 02:48:06 am »

It's hard to use the search function on a phone, harder still to arse myself to use the search function on a phone when the key words aren't the easy one. No control-f, just basic search engine functions such as you'd use in Google, except it's annoying both typing and reading.

I'll probably give it a go around when I actually have a computer, or let someone else take the reigns there.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 02:50:28 am by Xanmyral »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: May 15, 2014, 07:14:10 am »

I'm not really surprised by the general forgetfulness of this game's players.  I mean, there's what, fifteen or so people, only some of whom are active at a time?  And months can pass before some minor statement becomes relevant.  I have trouble remembering quest details in RPGs a few hours after they were mentioned.

I'm not saying this is an error of LB, rather the contrary; I'm impressed he can maintain such excellent internal consistency with that much time in between relevant episodes.  I just think we players should come up with a way to fix it.

The best idea I can think of, is to just assign one person to keeping a quest journal, and they write it out in one of their posts.  Then we ask LB to put a link to that post in every episode.  That way, we can record little plans like "Talk to Yagrum for mage person", and have them right there where it's obvious.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:36 pm »

I've been greatly enjoying this game even without particularly enjoying the ponies (I do at least know the names of them).  It's well written and intriguing, and I'd be sad to see it go.  But yeah, a lack of detailed knowledge of what's going on has prevented me from actively posting suggestions.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 15, 2014, 03:41:48 pm »

Once my quarter ends (3-4 weeks) i could start putting togther notes of our plans then re-injecting them into our schemings at the appropriate times.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 16, 2014, 04:14:14 pm »

Michael is to become an amaranth*. Makes sense to me that what he likes is around.

* Most likely not, but the thought amuses me.
Shouldn't that be LB who's the Amaranth of this dream, and Michael is his shezzarine equivalent, since both are bronies and all that? Now, how to get Michael to mantle LB... Full chim should be when Michael understands he's just a figment of LB's imagination in this forum game and starts to directly talking to him about it. Not sure if we want to go there...
And yes, B12 as a whole has major ADHD issues. This shouldn't be surprise to anyone.

Michael, real Applejack is the Element of Honesty. That thing you just spoke to used illusions to fool you and made you go all Gollum on that "apple" she gave you and puke all over yourself. That's not very honest thing to do now, is it? So we're pretty sure it wasn't the real Applejack you spoke to just now but agent of Hermaeus Mora, Daedric Prince of Knowledge. Tentacles kind of gave it away. So that "apple" wrapped in paper in your backpack that has words "for the most curious" is clearly reference to Eris/Discordia from Greek/Roman myths and her Apple of Discord that caused several gods to start fighting among each other over who would get it and some lesser issues, like the Trojan War. Do not look or try to eat it, or show it to any curious mages so they don't go all ancient Greek on us and make SHTF on Vvardenfell while we're still here. If there is pony who behaves like Eris/Discordia then she is that fake Applejack you just met, if that helps any.

Now that I think about it, coming from Daedric Prince of knowledge it could also be reference to the Apple of Knowledge that Eve gave to Adam in Abrahamic creation myths. That story didn't end well either...
Unless we go all Erisian mysteries on this thing and think deeper, since LB confirmed that line of reasoning. I don't know how else to interpret that. Some skooma might be of help there.

Also...
Michael, look around this so-called farm.
You should probably leave and return to Draren to see if he's done catching up with his sister yet, it might be dangerous to stay in this one area. Maybe you should ask one of the guards if they'd noticed anyone wearing unusual clothing lately. What day is it, by the way? We have reason to believe that the person that gave the object to you is a Daedric prince, and if we knew whether it was his summoning day, it might help confirm or deny that theory.
+1 to both of these.

And one more thing!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 16, 2014, 11:52:39 pm »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 16, 2014, 11:53:27 pm »

Spoiler: Magic Internet (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 16, 2014, 11:56:40 pm »

Spoiler: Foul Whisperings (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 161