Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Basic Base established...what should i do next?  (Read 1171 times)

CueBunny_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Basic Base established...what should i do next?
« on: May 23, 2013, 04:18:28 pm »

This is my second Fortress that i have ever made...I have a barracks set up but no one trained yet, i have my main nobles, basic workshops, basic housing, furniture storage, large general storage, farm, graveyard, meeting hall, trade depot, draw bridge. what should i be doing next? i appreciate all responses :)
Pictures of my Fort -> http://imgur.com/a/dSen3
I'm a Christian, Gamer, Tweeter, Pilot DwarfFortress Addict :3 CEO of Mobile Gaming Network®.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Base established...what should i do next?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:28:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Build a castle.

CueBunny_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:48:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Build a castle.
Is that really a good idea? :P
I'm a Christian, Gamer, Tweeter, Pilot DwarfFortress Addict :3 CEO of Mobile Gaming Network®.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:49:33 pm »

Legendary dining room.
Metal armor and weapons
100Z high gold phallus

CueBunny_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:43:18 pm »

Legendary dining room.
Metal armor and weapons
100Z high gold phallus
Ok....um...how do you make all those? xD

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:11:37 am »

This is my second Fortress that i have ever made...I have a barracks set up but no one trained yet, i have my main nobles, basic workshops, basic housing, furniture storage, large general storage, farm, graveyard, meeting hall, trade depot, draw bridge. what should i be doing next? i appreciate all responses :)
Pictures of my Fort -> http://imgur.com/a/dSen3

I still remember my first truly successful fort. It was all fun and games until my idiot siege operators ran in the face of charging goblins. Shoulda put some fortifications on the hall.

Anyway, here's what I try to do after I've delved secure lodgings, or just plain bored:

First off, I make a well. Pretty easy, but at least my wounded don't die because SOMEONE TOOK WATER FROM A MURKY POOL, WHICH IS MURKY AS SHIT, BECAUSE EVERYONE IS ALWAYS HAMMERED. Then I proceed to make some defensive walls, with a drawrbridge as the entrance. I also train up some marksdwarves and melee fighters, as well as set up alerts and scheduling for them. While your dwarves are lazily stumbling about actually following your orders, have one of the non-drunk miners mine for some ore and, is available, flux. Set up some smelters and a forge and proceed to make some epic armor.

Of course, it's all about personal taste on what you want to do, and have fun.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:58:26 am »

Legendary dining room.
Metal armor and weapons
100Z high gold phallus

Ok, legendary dining room is pretty easy.  Just dig a big room in stone.  Put a bunch of of tables and chairs in it.  Smooth and engrave the walls.  Set one of the tables as a dining room and meeting hall.  Let the happy thoughts roll.

For metal arms and armor, you'll need a metal industry.  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Metal_industry explains it better than I would.

The phallus is optional.

CueBunny_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 01:46:28 pm »

Legendary dining room.
Metal armor and weapons
100Z high gold phallus

Ok, legendary dining room is pretty easy.  Just dig a big room in stone.  Put a bunch of of tables and chairs in it.  Smooth and engrave the walls.  Set one of the tables as a dining room and meeting hall.  Let the happy thoughts roll.

For metal arms and armor, you'll need a metal industry.  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Metal_industry explains it better than I would.

The phallus is optional.
ok i see, for ores should i just strip mine?

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 01:51:02 pm »

There are a ton of cool things you can do but it all boils down to two things: play around with the industries you've not played around with yet, and do extravant things with the ones you've mastered. Never used the cloth industry? Get growing pig tails and rope reeds. Never grown cave wheat, sweet pods or quarry bushes? Never used weapon traps? Never trained a military? Off you go :) The second part is just about being creative & finding inspiration - for example, by building a 100 z-level Golden Dildo of Armok as suggested above.

The first thing I would suggest you is get to work on a metals industry. It's easy to get off the ground if you start with wood-burning. It's a portal into the military and a bunch of other fun stuff :) Just dig around til you strike some ore and then mine out the vein. When you feel adventurous you can switch to magma-based.

You will eventually want to get your fortress' value up to the point where things start attacking you; that's your first major challenge. So get producing things!

Also, if you want a little project to whet your appetite, once you've dug out the room for your new legendary dining room, build a mist generator in it (plans are on the wiki). It's a nice little introduction to fluids, mechanisms and power, construction and activity zones, and only requires a bunch of wood to get started - if you use a waterwheel generator it's even simpler to get going.

CueBunny_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 01:54:03 pm »

There are a ton of cool things you can do but it all boils down to two things: play around with the industries you've not played around with yet, and do extravant things with the ones you've mastered. Never used the cloth industry? Get growing pig tails and rope reeds. Never grown cave wheat, sweet pods or quarry bushes? Never used weapon traps? Never trained a military? Off you go :) The second part is just about being creative & finding inspiration - for example, by building a 100 z-level Golden Dildo of Armok as suggested above.

The first thing I would suggest you is get to work on a metals industry. It's easy to get off the ground if you start with wood-burning. It's a portal into the military and a bunch of other fun stuff :) Just dig around til you strike some ore and then mine out the vein. When you feel adventurous you can switch to magma-based.

You will eventually want to get your fortress' value up to the point where things start attacking you; that's your first major challenge. So get producing things!

Also, if you want a little project to whet your appetite, once you've dug out the room for your new legendary dining room, build a mist generator in it (plans are on the wiki). It's a nice little introduction to fluids, mechanisms and power, construction and activity zones, and only requires a bunch of wood to get started - if you use a waterwheel generator it's even simpler to get going.
Thank you!! :D im gonna work on metal industry now :) what levels should i be digging in to find these ores?

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:05:44 pm »

make a nice honeycomb of dorf rooms. go find cotton candy :)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 05:39:55 am »

make the whole map a minefield that explodes with magma fountains when someone triggers a pressure plate (credits to frogwarrior for inspiration)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 02:38:14 pm »

Thank you!! :D im gonna work on metal industry now :) what levels should i be digging in to find these ores?
Any place that has stone rather than soil might have ores in it. So dig down past the soil and start looking around. You'll get announcements when you strike ores at the bottom of the screen. They come in large oval areas and long, thin veins depending on the type of ore and the type of rock they're in. This wiki page details some strategies for exploratory mining, but ores are pretty rare with the default settings so you may be looking for a while. It may be easier to ask the traders to bring you some instead. You could also decrease the "mineral scarcity" parameter when you generate your world if it's really proving to be a problem.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 05:08:57 pm »

my problem with the mineral scarcity parameter is that it likes to make me choke on gems :P

make a complicated lever system that you can't keep straight so if you pull the wrong one much fun can be had

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 05:30:27 pm »

my problem with the mineral scarcity parameter is that it likes to make me choke on gems :P

make a complicated lever system that you can't keep straight so if you pull the wrong one much fun can be had

Oh yeah, I remember that one. Especially if I had enough for a while and came back to a fort after several weeks not playing. Cursing myself for not making notes or somehow making clear which lever did what... "Let's see, if this lever wasn't for the moat drainage, and those were for the main entrance maze of shifting walls, what did it do? huh? Urist McUnlucky has died? Ah! it was the refuse safeguard. Poor Urist, I'll get an extra nice slab for him, not really anything left for a nice coffin after all. Now, I wonder what this lever does...."
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2