Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you make a garbage chute  (Read 3986 times)

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
How do you make a garbage chute
« on: May 23, 2013, 02:00:53 pm »

I was told that to create a garbage chute you just need to create a stockpile for whatever you want to dump(or a garbage zone) over top of a x deep pit. I tried that but it won't let me place the actual zone/stockpile there. What am I doing wrong?
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you make a garbage chute
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:01:59 pm »

You place the zone next to the hole.  Your dwarves will move to the zone, then throw everything into the adjacent hole.

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:03:03 pm »

Will they dump any of the actual stuff in the tile or will they place it all in the hole?
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:03:45 pm »

It all goes into the hole as long as it's adjacent.  Just make a 1x1 zone.

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:04:09 pm »

Thanks!

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 02:36:29 pm »

You place the zone next to the hole.  Your dwarves will move to the zone, then throw everything into the adjacent hole.

Really? It works like that? Hmmm, one learns every day...

I just put a lever operated hatch on top of the chute, that way you can put the garbage dump on top, and dump by pulling the lever.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:37:27 pm »

It must be a dump zone, and not a stockpile. If you use a stockpile, they won't toss the items over the edge.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 01:38:46 pm »

Do beware though that falling items are extremely dangerous to dwarven health, even if they're just seeds or socks. If you ever want your dwarves to collect the things you throw down the chute you will want to think carefully about their safety. You may find using guided minecarts is a safer option if your objective is simply to move items across a lot of z-levels.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:17:31 pm »

What I would do is have the chute surrounded by walls, and have a hatch at the bottom to control gravity momentum, and then further restrict access via a locked door. Though I will admit, I have recently discovered the power of Impulse Ramps, and boy oh boy, am I set for life. No more rollers for me!

Hell, I probably could've used impulse ramps instead of rollers in my initial (failed) minecart magma retrieval system. I eventually said "fuck it" and moved everything to the top of the magma pipe on z=90 and just sealed over the top with obsidian.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 10:41:51 pm »

i would just have magma on the bottom of the chute. if i am dumping it to that zone i won't miss it. and it will reduce the amount of items on the map. today i dumped over 2k body parts >_<

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 01:06:35 am »

Dumping is not used exclusively to move stuff you want destroyed. I use dump zones to keep all my rotting clothing in one place (and temporarily forbidden) for when the caravans show up. It's also an effective way of moving generally anything to a specific spot, since the dump item job has significantly higher priority than store item in stockpile. (except, of course, when you want them to do a certain thing.) It's also a really good way of quickly getting ore down to the magma forges, at least until you're good at abusing the game to either bring the magma to the dwarves or just use impulse ramp-powered minecart shafts. Which incidentally have the exact same problem that falling garbage does, but at least it's a two-way street.

tl;dr non-garbage gets dumped sometimes
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 04:13:35 am »

... I have recently discovered the power of Impulse Ramps, and boy oh boy, am I set for life.
Do bear in mind though that if your objective is to make something safer than a dump chute, using impulse ramps doesn't really fulfil that aim. Dwarves are pretty likely to get splattered if you're not very careful. But if you use guided carts, there's no danger whatsoever.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 05:00:05 am »

But guided carts don't deal with the problem of not wanting to spare dorfpower to haul the item in question wherever it needs to be in the first place! They're still GUIDED.

Fairly certain that as long as you rig things up using special magic science, dwarves may or may not be able to path properly into the danger zone. Locked doors are also nice.

I was imagining a series of retracting bridges, with a system of pressure plates that would toggle the setup every time one passed over it, and thus creating a path that the dwarves shouldn't be able to path through, because of the whole gaps in the floor thing. If you rigged it properly, it would be fine. Though that does take a lot of effort.

I guess the main benefit to using carts instead of just dumping things into a hole is that it allows you to get the things and send them back upstairs while keeping two separate fort populations (to deal with the problem of running 100 z-levels to do EVERYTHING).

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread